The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SM7b VS Sennheiser MK4 Condenser Microphones
Old 20th October 2012
Shure SM7b VS Sennheiser MK4

SM7B bass roll off and presence boot engaged.

mk4 with eq less bass more trble little more mid

sm7b with eq
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

I figured the mic would be better compared to an AT-4040 or Shure SM27 since both are $300 condenser mics.

Funny enough I have my eye on both mics. SM7 I want for vocals and MK-4 was thinking more for acoustic guitar as an alternative or companion to an AT-4033

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear
I'm not sure why you are comparing these two very dissimilar mics.

The SM7 sounded excellent on your speaking voice. The Denngieesr was louder, so a comparison is sketchy, but obviously brighter as one would expect from a dynamic vs. condenser comparison.

At the same levels the noise on the sennheisser would be similar to the SM&, maybe little more due to a wider pattern.

The SM7 with EQ just sounds like you are trying to make it sound like the Senngeisser, fairly pointless as you have one.
Old 20th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
I'm not sure why you are comparing these two very dissimilar mics.

The SM7 sounded excellent on your speaking voice. The Denngieesr was louder, so a comparison is sketchy, but obviously brighter as one would expect from a dynamic vs. condenser comparison.

At the same levels the noise on the sennheisser would be similar to the SM&, maybe little more due to a wider pattern.

The SM7 with EQ just sounds like you are trying to make it sound like the Senngeisser, fairly pointless as you have one.
better get out of my head sir. i dont think the sm7b needed eq. i think the mk4 needed eq to sound like the sm7b because yeah partly i shoulda lowered the gain more but yeah the mk4 is definitely a warm mic. says so on the box so i think it prob does need a bass reduction a tad since its trying to emulate more expensive mics and not be so bright but im sure this is probably a tad brighter than a at4040. idk why i eqd the sm7b so much, lol. killed the power of it.
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear
<----backing out of your head.......
Old 20th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
<----backing out of your head.......
I'm really bad at these tests. some times im munmbling sometiems im excited. heres a commentary i did with the sm7b when i was more uppity and 2 inches away from the mic. sounds a lot better than when i am super close to the sm7b and mumbling.

It's definitely the best results i could ask for. I may just return the mk4 and get a cloudlifter cause im kinda paranoid about giving it so much gain that i can hear white noise when i turn up my speakers.
Old 20th October 2012
mk4 is nice too if im in a good mood. im done with mics. chow.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search