The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zed 10 with or without fx ?
Old 19th October 2012
Here for the gear

Zed 10 with or without fx ?

Hi,

I have decided to buy an Allen&Heath ZED-10 mixer for small gigs and home recording, for gigs i'll use it with an AER 60 amp, the AER has good reverb and that's the only effect i tend to use, i'm looking for advice/opinions if it's worth it to to pay the extra 80euro to get the ZEDfx or just get the ZED-10 without effects and use the reverb from the AER.

I do a one man band act with guest vocalists, i need to facilitate sax, guitar, 2 vocals mics and a bass drum mic , the AER has 2 channels with shared effects but can be panned. I'm thinking of connecting my 2 AKG condenser clip on mics (519ml's - one used for sax the other vocals being clipped onto a harp rack) that go into one preamp/mixer box (B29L) into the XLR channel of the AER and the ZED-10 into the guitar channel. The ZED-10 wll be used for one vocal mic (SM 58), guitar, bass drum mic and mp3 player (for break music).

Any suggestions on the best way to do this or advice on other budget mixers will be greatly appreciated ...

thanks,
bob
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

I have one without effects, and prefer it that way. I just don't like using effects live.

You are patching a lot of stuff into a lot of stuff. Maybe you should look into a slightly larger model, like the ZED 12 or 14, send everything through that, and then onto the AER? It just seems to me that you would have an easier time controlling everything if all levels were on one board. Just a thought. You are handling the controls yourself, so having it be quick and easy is a good thing. You've got to perform at some point!
Old 20th October 2012
Here for the gear

How does the ZED sound ? How does it color the signal when eq is flat if at all ?

I have a crappy little mixer (unmentionable brand) that made everything going through it sound dead and now that i have a great sounding AER amp it's even more apparent how important the mixer is that's why i want to upgrade to the ZED

You're right about too much patching, i thought about it and realized i could simplify it by plugging the guitar straight into the guitar channel of the AER but loose the ZED eq :-( and the ZED-10 into the XLR channel but for my 2 AKG 519 condenser mic's i would need to buy 2 AKG mini XLR to regular XLR adapters at 50e a piece ! (why so expensive i don't know) The AKG mic's are currently being plugged into the 2 channel AKG B29L battery box, it has seperate volume control but the battery does run down causing distortion and the box itself is noisy so i guess going straight into the ZED and using it's phantom power and seperate eq and pre's would be the way to go. I will try not to get a larger mixer for portability and so i can have it discretely beside me during the gigs.
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

Keep in mind that the 12 and 14 ZEDs are not that much bigger than the 10, so portability concerns should not stop you from getting the one you need. It sure sounds to me like you need something slightly bigger than the 10. I just see your onstage aggravation going down significantly if you simply have everything feeding into the small mixer and then sending that signal through the amp.

The ZED 10 I have sounds really good. I like it better than a small Mackie mixer I also own. I have not tried a Soundcraft. Those are the three brands to look at if you want small, inexpensive, but decent quality. I like Allen & Heath the best. I think they are built the best of those three and mine sounds great.

Any mixer like this should strive to be neutral, clean, and quiet. I think the Allen & Heath succeeds. I have used mine as the phantom power and EQ source for my acoustic guitar, as picked up by a DPA 4099G microphone, along with a mic for my voice. The signal then goes to powered PA speakers. I really like the way it all sounds, and it is easy to control onstage.
Old 21st October 2012
Here for the gear

The ZED-12fx is more than double the price of the ZED-10, AH doesn't make the ZED-12 without fx, they do have the ZED-14 without fx but that's almost double the price of the ZED-10. The Soundcraft EPM6 has 6 XLR channels for the same price of the ZED-10 which has 4 XLR channels .... hmm ... i wonder if i should get the soundcraft ?

Do you use the pre from the AH for your guitar or do you plug into a line channel ? i'm wondering how the 2 channels sound on the ZED-10 that have specially designed high-impedance inputs for guitar ... if this is a selling point or if the Soundcraft sound as good for guitar ..
Old 21st October 2012
I consider built-in effects like there to be worth what you pay for them. They'll be more useful live than in the studio, and for the kind of live work that you're describing, if you can't get away with just one or two reverbs, you're either making the job sound too simple or you're working too hard. But for a gig like what you're describing, either you need a separate setup for each configuration or you can use the built-in effects for your vocal and sax. Get your guitar sound from the AER-60 and don't mess with it. I think you'll find that the A&H effects are good enough and you'll appreciate the simpler setup.
Old 21st October 2012
Here for the gear

Hey Mike, I was thinking the same, plug my guitar straight into the AER and the mixer into the mic channel of the AER and just add a little reverb from the AER. I would plug into the mixer 2 vocal mic's, 1 sax mic and 1 bass drum mic, that is 4 mic channels so the ZED-10 would be perfect i guess (unless i need more channels in the future) because it's a little smaller and lighter that the Souncraft EPM6. Can you think of an even simpler sollution ? here is a youtube vid of how i do these gigs if you're interested:
One for my baby (and one more for the road) - One Man Banned - YouTube
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

The DPA 4099G is a low impedance condenser mic that either needs phantom power (if using a mic cable) or battery power (if using a wireless system). Either way, I need an XLR input for the guitar, so no, I don't use the dedicated guitar inputs on the ZED 10. I am basically feeding two mics to a small mixer, then into powered speakers.
๐Ÿ“ Reply