The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
attack times Plugin Bundles
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

attack times

What kind of attack times are you guys using with plug ins on the kik drum when mixing heavy, hard rock? 2ms? 5ms? faster or slower? Just curious.
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Usually around 20 - 50 ms...you wanna let the attack of the kick through pretty much uncompressed...

my 2c
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

it wildly depends on the drum, the guy hitting the drum, the style of music, the whole sound of the song, and the whole feel of the record.

how do i find what's what and why i should use it?

i start with slowest attack and fastest release settings available on whatever compressor i'm dealing with (and i do prefer certain compressors on certain sources/instruments, but i don't want to go into that here. this is more explaining HOW i came to these decisions). then i turn the attack faster and faster until the instrument (kick drum in your example) starts to "dull down" or seem less important. that's where i stop for now, right at that point. from there, i start to slow down the release so that before the next kick drum hit starts, the volume of the signal is back to normal. this'll create a "breathing" effect, as some call it. i just call it "in time with the song or crucial beat of a section". the other stuff (amount of compression, ratio, and final adjustments to attack and release) i decide 100% to my personal taste and how i feel about the song at the very time my hand is on the compressor.

i'd love to tell you a golden way that makes all kick drums rule, but it doesn't exist. this little method of turning knobs makes it easier to find what sounds good faster rather than fukking around with crappy presets on a plugin or drawings on a reference sheet.
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

right on guys...I kow it was a bit of a funny question but I was just curious what you guys do generally fo hard rock...I usually find my attack time somewhere in the 2-10 ms range on the kik track with most plugs doing a tiny bit of GR. Then killing it on mults and parallel bus with a a slower attack and really fast release generally. On the regular Drum bus I'm in the 30-40 ms. attack range knocking off maybe 3-6 db.
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
right on guys...I'm not a rookie believe it or not I kow it was a bit of a funny question but I was just curious what you guys do generally fo hard rock...I usually find my attack time somewhere in the 2-10 ms range with most plugs.
That's mighty fast for my tastes
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
What kind of attack times are you guys using with plug ins on the kik drum when mixing heavy, hard rock? 2ms? 5ms? faster or slower? Just curious.
Sorry, just using the 160x

I dont trust the plugs

Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasso
That's mighty fast for my tastes

I'm doing that on the kik track not the busses..and only grabbing a few db. just to kinda smooth it out.
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep
Sorry, just using the 160x

''I actually use one of those going in thumbsup
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for Jesus

Did you ever get your 1176 ?

I almost have enough $$$ for my Mc77
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you ever get your 1176 ?

I almost have enough $$$ for my Mc77
no

I'm kinda embracing Plugs right now. Just got the Diamond bundle and I am enjoying the Chandler limiterthumbsup

I would love to check out a mc77 in person
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for Jesus

Cool,

I have been using Smack......

A bit , but not on drums

Old 14th July 2006
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
no

I would love to check out a mc77 in person
I figure i will get it first then go for the LA2

My room is done, you should come down !!!!

steve

Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I figure i will get it first then go for the LA2

My room is done, you should come down !!!!

steve

haha you beat me to the punch! Check your PM's
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Cool...guess the less GR the faster attack ya can get away with huh? Actualy...just tried a 10 ms attack on a problem snare and kind of dig it...proves again....FIXED SETTINGS IN YOU BRAIN DON'T ALWAYS WORK THE BEST!!!! But then again...you asked about kick....hmmm.
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasso
Cool...guess the less GR the faster attack ya can get away with huh? Actualy...just tried a 10 ms attack on a problem snare and kind of dig it...proves again....FIXED SETTINGS IN YOU BRAIN DON'T ALWAYS WORK THE BEST!!!! But then again...you asked about kick....hmmm.

with snare I use generally a slower attack than I do on kik. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search