The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who can mod my AKAI M8?
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Who can mod my AKAI M8?

Can anyone give me the number of someone to mod my AKAI M8? I have it already in a new box. I really want it to have mic and line I/Os. Thanks
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Rodney Davis from old world audio
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone else other then Old World Audio?
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

I'm still trying to find someone who can do these mods for me. I contacted Old world audio and they are a little pricier then what I had hoped. Maybe I have too high an expectation? Just wanting to get all options on the floor before I make a decision.
Anyone have any other recommendations?
Old 14th January 2013
Gear interested
Tablebeast - xfmr.blogspot.com --> Very cool mods (M8 and others). Lots of options.
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowOwl View Post
Tablebeast - xfmr.blogspot.com --> Very cool mods (M8 and others). Lots of options.
Cool. How did he do any mods for you? What's his pricing like? Thanks
Old 17th January 2013
Gear interested
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
Cool. How did he do any mods for you? What's his pricing like? Thanks
I am just waiting on him to deliver a prex2 stereo mic preamp. Although I'm not sure of the final result, his builds do seem very well though out. Very similar to the acclaimed Old World Audio m8 mod (OLD WORLD AUDIO // OWA Modified M8). Pricing varies dependant on if you supply the tape machine and what you want done. Aproximately 1000$ to buy a finished Akai rebuilt dual preamp without supplying any of the source materials.

Drop him a line. He is very helpful and transparent in discussing the designs and the options.
Old 17th January 2013
Gear interested
This thread has more info as well - Re: Tablebeast
Old 17th January 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the props, I'd be glad to mod your Akai for you. I now offer six different designs: two different two channel preamps, a preamp/low watt guitar amp, a dedicated plexi style guitar amp, a preamp/EQ, and an Altec 436/EMI RS-124 style compressor!

Prices start at $599 for a basic module. I give $100 per module as a trade-in credit. Additional options include all kinds of transformers, paint/labeling, and tabletop or rack mounting.

Tablebeast
Old 20th April 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
Can anyone give me the number of someone to mod my AKAI M8? I have it already in a new box. I really want it to have mic and line I/Os. Thanks
your M8 already HAS a line in, merely shut off the deck motor by choosing the middle speed setting on the switch, disengage the drive wheel using the chome lever, and put the deck into "record" mode using the mode selector control.

plug your input into the "line in" jacks on the left side front, right and left, and presto- you have line ins, as designed in 1964

your outputs are either the speaker outs, or the headphone stereo output jack. You can record from the stereo headphone jack because it's factory limited by a resistor. Playing CD, vinyl, or tape in, and recording out via the stereo headphone jack patched into a recording device, will color the sound via the single ended tubes in the M8

it is nonsensical to modify an M8 or any other Roberts/Akai family of decks such as 770, 770X, 990, 997, M7 - because in doing so one wrecks a great piece of vintage collectible gear, and what you get out of it is less than what was put there to begin with

a bit of history first- Roberts name stood for 2 Roberts, Robert Metzger and Robert Craig. They made tape decks and phonographs. Metzger was a genius on par with Edison or Ford. He befriended Mr. Akai, a Japanese mfr.- and bought the motors from him for his decks. Roberts designed the decks, and Akai made them in Japan using the cheaper labor of the time there.

absolutely NOTHING can be gained by modifying these decks. They will play phono, tape, CD and their own reels- and also already HAVE mic inputs, phono inputs, line inputs. They have built in mic pre circuit, just plug into it. They also have pre-outs, will drive external and internal speakers, and headphones, and have sound on sound. They record excellent at speeds up to 7.5 IPS, better than a new SACD recorder.

by modifying them, you spend money, and wreck half the features of the set- just to put it in a new box, that usually looks even uglier and homelier than the original reel. Really dumb- and destroys it's resale value.

An M8 can be used as a compressor, stage pre-amp, SET stereo amp, recorder, integrated stereo amp, etc. just as it was made. All you need to do is by the very affordable jack adapters to go from 1/4" mono to RCA or 1/8" stereo or mono, whatever you are patching into or from. The Akai M8 accessory kit already had all those jacks and patch cords in it. It also had 1/4" mono to tiger clips to clip onto speaker terminals or output terminals or wires.

Metzger and Craig knew more about stereos and electronics, than any of us could learn in several lifetimes. If you delve into just what's being done to these amps by people who hack them apart, you'll find all they are doing, it putting them in a different smaller box, and losing the reel tape function.

why pay to lose a reel to reel and speakers ? Hacking these decks up to make some lame pre or amp that was already there, is like tearing down the empire state building, statue of liberty, and the pyramids of Egypt, just to get beer money and put up some cheap condos.

don't wreck something that is high quality and historical, to make something that is mundane, the set you are making from it will quickly lose value and no one will want it. The M8 will retain it's value and go up in value over time, and someday be a museum piece.
Old 21st April 2013
Gear interested

I have a pair of M8 preamps that I bought without the cabinet or reel to reel section. I'm not looking to mod it, but basically want it to function as you describe. Any advice for someone with only the preamps? Thanks.
Old 21st April 2013
Gear interested

Sorry, when I tried to reply I accidentally hit the negative button. Didn't mean to, looking for a way to change that...
Old 20th June 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwattage View Post
your M8 already HAS a line in, merely shut off the deck motor by choosing the middle speed setting on the switch, disengage the drive wheel using the chome lever, and put the deck into "record" mode using the mode selector control.

plug your input into the "line in" jacks on the left side front, right and left, and presto- you have line ins, as designed in 1964

your outputs are either the speaker outs, or the headphone stereo output jack. You can record from the stereo headphone jack because it's factory limited by a resistor. Playing CD, vinyl, or tape in, and recording out via the stereo headphone jack patched into a recording device, will color the sound via the single ended tubes in the M8

it is nonsensical to modify an M8 or any other Roberts/Akai family of decks such as 770, 770X, 990, 997, M7 - because in doing so one wrecks a great piece of vintage collectible gear, and what you get out of it is less than what was put there to begin with

a bit of history first- Roberts name stood for 2 Roberts, Robert Metzger and Robert Craig. They made tape decks and phonographs. Metzger was a genius on par with Edison or Ford. He befriended Mr. Akai, a Japanese mfr.- and bought the motors from him for his decks. Roberts designed the decks, and Akai made them in Japan using the cheaper labor of the time there.

absolutely NOTHING can be gained by modifying these decks. They will play phono, tape, CD and their own reels- and also already HAVE mic inputs, phono inputs, line inputs. They have built in mic pre circuit, just plug into it. They also have pre-outs, will drive external and internal speakers, and headphones, and have sound on sound. They record excellent at speeds up to 7.5 IPS, better than a new SACD recorder.

by modifying them, you spend money, and wreck half the features of the set- just to put it in a new box, that usually looks even uglier and homelier than the original reel. Really dumb- and destroys it's resale value.

An M8 can be used as a compressor, stage pre-amp, SET stereo amp, recorder, integrated stereo amp, etc. just as it was made. All you need to do is by the very affordable jack adapters to go from 1/4" mono to RCA or 1/8" stereo or mono, whatever you are patching into or from. The Akai M8 accessory kit already had all those jacks and patch cords in it. It also had 1/4" mono to tiger clips to clip onto speaker terminals or output terminals or wires.

Metzger and Craig knew more about stereos and electronics, than any of us could learn in several lifetimes. If you delve into just what's being done to these amps by people who hack them apart, you'll find all they are doing, it putting them in a different smaller box, and losing the reel tape function.

why pay to lose a reel to reel and speakers ? Hacking these decks up to make some lame pre or amp that was already there, is like tearing down the empire state building, statue of liberty, and the pyramids of Egypt, just to get beer money and put up some cheap condos.

don't wreck something that is high quality and historical, to make something that is mundane, the set you are making from it will quickly lose value and no one will want it. The M8 will retain it's value and go up in value over time, and someday be a museum piece.
Great post! I agree w/you 100%. I have a TEAC A1250 and I do the "analog thing;" that is, my mix out of my analog board goes into the "line ins' of the TEAC, then out of the "line outs" and into an Alesis Masterlink for the final mix CD. QUESTION- must I put the TEAC in "record mode"? I find that it doesn't seem to make much difference between doing so and simply just running the mix through the TEAC w/out pressing the record button.....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search