The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who went from MOTU HD192 to Aurora 16?
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Who went from MOTU HD192 to Aurora 16?

I currently have the motu and I am considering going to Aurora with and RME card and wanted to get opinions from people who have actually used both boxes.

I have really good outboard gear (fatso, summit, manley, eventide 8k etc) and I'm not sure if a full gutting of the interfaces and soundcards is the best move. I've heard that if I clock the MOTU to a Big Ben, it will offer a significant sonic improvement so I'm thinking I may just do that.

For those who switched to Aurora, what are your thoughts?

Thanks
Old 13th July 2006
I considered it, but decided it wasn't enough of an upgrade.

Instead, I bought 2 channels of Lavry Blue so that I get two great channels and a great clock to improve the HD192.

I'm now working without a console/mixing desk, so I also really appreciate the large LED levels.
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS
I considered it, but decided it wasn't enough of an upgrade.

Instead, I bought 2 channels of Lavry Blue so that I get two great channels and a great clock to improve the HD192.

I'm now working without a console/mixing desk, so I also really appreciate the large LED levels.

Are you using a summing box and therefore need 12 DAC's?

I'm also considering 2 channels of Lavry Blue ADC's to get better convertion and maybe a superior clock, too. Right now, I'm clocking 2 HD192's with a Rosendahl Nanoclocks, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Lavry was an improvement even in the clock department. Anyway, it'd be cool if you could post your impressions once you get the new converters!
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Nut

Black Lion has a MOTU mod that may be worth looking into.

Old 13th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by el cochino
Are you using a summing box and therefore need 12 DAC's?

I'm also considering 2 channels of Lavry Blue ADC's to get better convertion and maybe a superior clock, too. Right now, I'm clocking 2 HD192's with a Rosendahl Nanoclocks, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Lavry was an improvement even in the clock department. Anyway, it'd be cool if you could post your impressions once you get the new converters!
Yes, I have an Phoenix Audio N16 for summing and will probably get another HD192 when I've got a few more analogue outboard eqs to mix with, but for now 12 O/Ps is ok to sum with.

To be honest, I haven't fully tested the difference between with and without the Lavry clock, as my new studio is not finished and there's stuff all over the place. But so far, I like what I hear.

I believe the PCI 424 card is available for PCI-e now. Are the Lynx products supporting that yet?
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Since no one has chimed in yet, I will tell you that I switched from the Motu 24i/o to the Aurora-16, and the difference was absolutely NIGHT AND DAY.

Not sure how different the Motu 192 and the Motu 24i/o are, but thought I'd share my findings with the 24i/o.
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Went from MOTU to Metric Halo. Difference was night and Day. You'll definitely notice a difference with the Aurora and/or RME.
Old 14th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20
Went from MOTU to Metric Halo. Difference was night and Day. You'll definitely notice a difference with the Aurora and/or RME.
Which Motu?
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, It seems like there is a general opinion that an improvement will be made.

Thanks
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

I had a MOTU HD192 and I was going to go to first a Mytek/RME setup and then I heard about the Lynx Aurora and was going to go that way but at the time the Aurora's ship date kept getting pushed so I bit the bullet and got Lavry Blue's (with a Lynx AD16 interface) and have be very happy ever since.
Old 15th July 2006
mds
Lives for gear

All MOTU's are not the same. The HD192 is superior to the 24i, 828mkii, etc. I'm not sure how it compares to the Aurora, but it is the top of the heap from MOTU.

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search