The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best software drum machine for building your own kits 2012?
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear
Best software drum machine for building your own kits 2012?

Load your own samples
Easy browsing (while playing) through folders with kicks, snares, etc. Kits, etc.
Assemble a meta kit out of 3 existing kits
Build & save and easy access your own kits
Import ready made kits of 3rd parties

Any suggestions?
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear
i dont know but i think the linplug RMV is a good for building your own samples.
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

I still like the ancient linplug rm3. It's just simple and fast to build and scroll through kits.
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

Sounds like you're looking for FXpansion Geist.
Old 13th October 2012
Gear Maniac

I use Logic's Ultrabeat, but this is because I dont know any better. Might try the Linplug RM3 and/or RMV actually, they look really solid.
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear
I switched from Battery to RMV, and it feels good
Old 1st March 2013
Yep - gotta love Linplug - all versions have been excellent.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

What exactly is it about RMV that would make it a better choice than Battery?
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Addict

Acoustic or electronic drum kits? Do you need multisamples and velocity layers?
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyokay View Post
I use Logic's Ultrabeat, but this is because I dont know any better. Might try the Linplug RM3 and/or RMV actually, they look really solid.
Me too. I make my own drum sounds there. It rocks.
Old 1st March 2013
I got into Linplug early this century, because I checked out all the available drum sample players I could find and the sound quality was noticeably higher at the time. Probably not an issue these days, but i've stayed with Linplug through several versions.

In my opinion, the sample library that comes with Linplug is rubbish - I never use it. But I just love it for my own samples, for ease of use.

What I especially love is the default humanizing settings - they are VERY subtle, but enough to take the machine gun effect out of multiple hits. They also cause audible flanging if you accidentally put two notes on the same location. (With other drum sample players, you can miss that you've done that because there is no flanging - just a 6dB boost which might be missed, especially with compression). Of course you can turn this OFF, but it sounds so good I usually leave it on the default. It is very subtle ...

And I love the modulation matrix - when you don't want to be subtle, this is where to do it.

I'm sure Battery is good, but Native lost me years ago with their marketing and security practices ... I just have had a good time with Linplug for drums.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear
Battery has all this, but this thread is about building your own kits, trying new sounds for some individual notes, etc.

If you buy or sample your own sounds, and then you want to compile your own beats while you programe your patterns. This is the scenario of this thread ("Best software drum machine for building your own kits 2012?").

Remember choosing your right sounds is maybe more important than any kind of processing (comp, eq, etc.). And also choosing the right sounds in context of a pattern you are programming... a mediocre beat can be made into a good beat just by swapping some samples, and the samples you choose influence your pattern. In a good beat everything comes together. I'm not talking about exotic sounds myself, but just by getting the pattern connected with the rights sounds for just that pattern (even a genre you can only hit, if you have the right sounds with the right patterns and fx).

And that's where Battery fails, in my opinion. It's not easy enough to dig into external libraries, go through various kicks while playback, etc.

Also there was no Battery update for years, and it's been my primary machine for years. Native's drumming strategy is not yet well defined, and the way they develop it, they do something there, and something there (Battery, Kontakt, Machine, Drummers series, etc.), but it's not really a strategy so far.

It seems RMV was updated again and again. And it's getting better and better, if you are ready to build your own sound library.
Old 2nd March 2013
Easy browsing of my own folders of samples is exactly why i've stayed with Linplug.

To be honest, I don't even bother building my own kits - it's so easy just to choose the sample I want for each song. I have a song template to get me started, but from there I just choose what I want as it's playing. As you say, choosing the right sound is more important than anything else ...
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
Battery has all this, but this thread is about building your own kits, trying new sounds for some individual notes, etc.

If you buy or sample your own sounds, and then you want to compile your own beats while you programe your patterns. This is the scenario of this thread ("Best software drum machine for building your own kits 2012?").

Remember choosing your right sounds is maybe more important than any kind of processing (comp, eq, etc.). And also choosing the right sounds in context of a pattern you are programming... a mediocre beat can be made into a good beat just by swapping some samples, and the samples you choose influence your pattern. In a good beat everything comes together. I'm not talking about exotic sounds myself, but just by getting the pattern connected with the rights sounds for just that pattern (even a genre you can only hit, if you have the right sounds with the right patterns and fx).

And that's where Battery fails, in my opinion. It's not easy enough to dig into external libraries, go through various kicks while playback, etc.

Also there was no Battery update for years, and it's been my primary machine for years. Native's drumming strategy is not yet well defined, and the way they develop it, they do something there, and something there (Battery, Kontakt, Machine, Drummers series, etc.), but it's not really a strategy so far.

It seems RMV was updated again and again. And it's getting better and better, if you are ready to build your own sound library.
Battery is pretty easy to build you own kits. Just scroll thru your drum banks and load a sound into a cell. Continue on till you have what you want. Simple.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

+1 for Fxpansion Geist.
I have a ton of different drum plugs but Geist, Spark and Punch are what I use most.
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear
Battery Question...

Quote:
Battery is pretty easy to build you own kits. Just scroll thru your drum banks and load a sound into a cell.
Just for my knowledge expansion:
How do you fill the drum banks or create your own drum banks? (with external samples)
How can you exchange individual samples easily in a drum kit? (with external samples)
Can you flip back and forward inside kicks, snares, etc. to go through different kicks, etc.?
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

I love Maschine, Tremor and Addictive drums.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search