The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor choice
Old 11th October 2012
Here for the gear

Monitor choice

Hi everyone.

I'm currently in the market to upgrade my monitors. At the moment I'm using Dynaudio BM5's which are good but I'm looking to upgrade to something that gives me more clarity in the low end.

I've been looking at the Event Opals and Focal Twin 6 BE's. I looking to spend around 2k on them. Does anyone have any suggestions of monitors I should check out?

I'm predominately writing trance these days.

Cheers!

Rob
Old 11th October 2012
More cowbell!

Check out the Neumann KH 300DL

Sent from my MB855
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Head

My question is where are you going to find Twins or Opals for $2k?
Old 11th October 2012
Here for the gear

Its not $'s its £'s
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Take the Opals and don't look back...have long time used O300, but there is no way back for me now. Now I use ATC SCM25 and Event Opals. ATCs are really great, honest, natural sounding speaker, but Opals turned out to be a perfect monitor for me (no matter the price difference)...especially in my room. I do 90% things on them and the stuff translates perfectly. They sound good all over the range, have tons of headroom, tight bass with a massive impact. Transients punch like hell and the imaging is insane, the best I have experienced.

I have heard them few times before taking them home, and like them but didn't consider them really special. After taking them to my place and doing some mixing I felt as secure as never before. They let you hear everything. Best value/money on the market, seriously.
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Head

Opals are honest in the low ends.

In the 2K price range ?? :S sounds hard
Old 11th October 2012
Here for the gear

The low end range is where I'm trying to gain more clarity in my mixes. Gonna demo them next week so hopefully they'll be the ones!

Thanks for the comments
Old 12th October 2012
Gear Head

I hate to post absolutes... But, take the twins and consider a sub if needed for sub-sonic freqs.

Honestly, you won't go wrong with either set of monitors... but I favor the twins for the amazing clarity throughout their range. Can't go wrong with the focal tweeters either. I think this is where Focal REALLY has the edge.
Old 13th October 2012
Gear Guru

The ME Geithain RL906 are in the £2k price bracket (and these are what I use).

These, and all the other monitors mentioned, are on demo at KMR in London, so I would go along and have a good listen as you are based in London.
Old 18th October 2012
Here for the gear

Hi John,

Cheers for the advice, you've definitely given me something else to check out!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search