The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone else getting "tire kicking idea theifs"?
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Although it's an unpopular position, I sort of agree with djwayne. You could tell someone your ideas all day but it's how they're implemented that matters. That's why the band that went out and bought a G5 and a few mics found that it didn't come with an experienced engineer. The idea, in the abstract, isn't all that useful without the person who knows how to do it. So...

If someone uses my ideas, that's not theft, that's unusually successful communication.

Or maybe they would do it that way anyway, and were just being polite by pretending to learn something from me that they knew anyway.

I don't know if this is true in general, but I find that in my own experience the people who are really good at implementing ideas tend not to guard them. What would be the point? If you want it done well you have to go to them anyway.

-matt
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

No, don't agree with me, and don't get me wrong. In this case, the band probably should have gone into the studio with seasoned pro's. Putting together a home studio is not for everybody as computer and recording skills, do take time to master, and there is a boatload of equipment to purchase to get a quality recording. If they had the budget, they could have gone into a studio, and in a week or two, with pro's running the show, they could come out with a finished product. Goofing around at home is a different thing.

You can spend years perfecting home studio recording techniques and the computer skills needed. If you need a recording right now, go to a pro studio. If you have the determination to have a home studio, at some point in the future your payoff will be unlimited studio time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search