The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi Sound Replacer vs Forat F16 Utility Plugins
Old 14th October 2003
Digi Sound Replacer vs Forat F16

I'm just playing around with Sound Replacer for the first time and I'm wondering why most of the top mixers are still using the Forat.
Can someone clue me in (as I don't have a Forat to try).
Early days with Sound Replacer and I'm happy with the process as far as adding samples behind reasonably good sounding drum tracks.
Not sure about it for complete replacement however.
Any thoughts on the two methods would be gratefully received.
Old 14th October 2003
Lives for gear

Unless I'm missing something the two have little or nothing to do with each other.

Sound Replacer actually processes an audio track. Mix and dynamics settings are very important if you want to keep your original live feel. When used properly it can do much more then a Forat imvho. The Forat is a sampler / sequencer that triggers audio samplesover midi. Not quite the same.
Old 14th October 2003
Actually I think you are missing something.
The mixer guys trigger the Forat, which is much quicker than midi.
Also, it is capable of dynamics, although I've heard that function can slow down the triggering.
I have remembered one reason a few people prefer the Forat, you can tune the samples. I remember Ecue talking about that on another thread.
Still, I don't think acoustic drum samples often sound that great re-tuned (as opposed to electronic drum samples). So maybe Sound Replacer has it's place.
Old 14th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
I'm just playing around with Sound Replacer for the first time and I'm wondering why most of the top mixers are still using the Forat.
Several reasons. A lot of the engineers, myself included, that have F16's have built up extensive sample libraries within their F16's. Some studios (Scream Studios comes to mind) has community samples, which can be pretty cool for- how should I say- engineers that are drum sound challenged ("Whoa dude, No Doubt's snare drum?!). It's quick and easy to pitch shift those samples (usually to note values). The trigger times on the Forat as extremely fast. They have a sound to them, usually by sampling without the sample rate being wide open. That's kinda a trick to the unit. You can also use it as a stand alone sampler, which the last time I did only because a producer didn't have any of his samples with him and needed access to some of mine.

My remote craps out about once a year or so.

If soundreplacer had pitch shifting capabilities (and lo fi, and an editor), I doubt I'd use my F16 at all.

Also, if you are thinking of buying one, beware that there are several configs. I've seen some with only 2 outputs, some don't come with remotes, some don't have backlight remotes, some don't have much memory, some use the old floppys or M.O.s instead of JAZ or ZIP drives, etc.

By the way, if anyone has one with a bunch of samples on a ZIP, pm me if you'd like to entertain a sample-trade.
Old 14th October 2003
Good info, thanks.
Old 22nd October 2003
no ssl yet
So ecue, or you saying that say Sound replacer, peak, lofi and a pitch shifter would give me the almost equivalent of a Forat provided I used the export files selection from program to program?

I have lately been trying to find uses for Programs/plugs I have bought but never really use
Old 22nd October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue

If soundreplacer had pitch shifting capabilities (and lo fi, and an editor), I doubt I'd use my F16 at all.
I just stick the sample that I need shifted or tweaked into the session I'm working on, tweak (shift, lo-fi, compress, shorten, etc), solo that track, select the sample (where I want the SR trigger to start), Bounce to Disk (usually into my "samples" folder so I can use it again easily), then I'm ready to Sound Replacer. Yeah, maybe not as quick as having those abilities right in the plug, but it works great.
Old 22nd October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by no ssl yet
So ecue, or you saying that say Sound replacer, peak, lofi and a pitch shifter would give me the almost equivalent of a Forat provided I used the export files selection from program to program?

I have lately been trying to find uses for Programs/plugs I have bought but never really use
Basically, yeah. The Forat is also a stand alone sampler and all that. I seem to enjoy the process more outside of a computer.
Old 22nd October 2003
I haven't been able to get Sound Replacer to sound smooth on snares yet. Sounds too fake. Bass drums are a dream though.
Old 22nd October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
I haven't been able to get Sound Replacer to sound smooth on snares yet. Sounds too fake. Bass drums are a dream though.
Yeah, if I'm going for a "real" sound, I just use the SR to fill in behind the recorded snare. There's a lot of variation usually in a real snare take. The sample can add some beef or edge or whatever the real one needs to be right.

I've not messed with the 3 different levels/samples you can use in SR... maybe that's a possiblity to get a little more realism... soft to loud samples depending on amplitude.
Old 22nd October 2003
Gear addict

If SR could spit out midi notes, I'd use it a lot more.
Old 22nd October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by OKden
If SR could spit out midi notes, I'd use it a lot more.
Add that to my wish list too.
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

I finally broke down and sampled a bunch of the "keyboard" sounds I like to layer with drum hits.. took a while though, midi note triggering would be super cool.
Old 23rd October 2003
At least another level of sample velocity switching too. I have a drum sampler from the 80's that has 3 samples per drum! That doesn't sound realistic either.
I believe the Drum Kits from Hell disc has 7 levels of velocity.
Old 7th April 2009
Gear interested

is anyone selling an Forat f16?

I am looking for a forat f16 is anyone selling one?

peace
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp303 View Post
I am looking for a forat f16 is anyone selling one?

peace
i'm thinking of selling mine... not sure though. make me an offer.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Hi,

I have something in the second hand forum which could fit for you....

FS: Forat F16, Remote, ZIP and another one....

wolfgang
Old 7th June 2009
Gear interested

I've got a F16

I'd be willing to sell. Send me an email.
Old 7th June 2009
Lives for gear
guess i'll say my F16 is still for sale too.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search