The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digital recorder
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear
Digital recorder

Can anybody recommend a digital recorder for recording both inside and outside environments, basically a field recorder for picking up all kinds of sounds, i hear some of the lower end models aren't very good outdoors and also "rumbling" is picked up when holding them etc.
The lower the price the better and also compact but obviously audio quality is key

cheers
Old 26th September 2012
If you limit use to built-in mics and size, the Sony PCM-M10 is hard to beat for the price. It has decent mics and sound good. If you ever want to use better external mics, take a look at the Tascam DR-100 Mk-II. It has phantom powered XLR inputs, as well as built-in omni mics (quite good) and also built-in directional mics (fair quality). The Tascam phantom power current is limited, so it won't work with all powered mics. The Tascam comes with a foam windscreen that works fairly well for outdoor use, and has a low-cut filter if needed.

Both the Sony and the Tascams have significantly better build quality than the equivalent Zoom models (IMHO), but the latest Zooms have more extra feature options.

It all depends on what features are important to you.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

I have the zoom H4n and I like it a lot. I use it indoors and out. I don't notice handling noises, so long as I'm reasonably careful. I mean, if you tap on it then you're going to hear it ;-)

I haven't used the H1, but it looks nice. Same mics as the H4n.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search