The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SM 57 Made in USA
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Head

SM 57 Made in USA

Hello!

I just bought the mic on ebay.

It seems pretty old: some rustings, etc.

Seller said that its from 1985-90. And should be either US or Mexican made.

But there's no Unidyne label on the head rim. Can it stil be made in the USA? or its definitely mex?

Link to the mic:
SM 57 Made in USASHURE SM57 Dynamic Cardioid Microphone #1109 | eBay
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

Hard to tell really, Did it come with any paper work at all such as the (probably torn/used warrenty card. IIRC its a yellow piece of card) or anything else as it is pretty difficult to trace it without such details other than the capsule or better still the transformer (but that is covered in glue/gunked and its a PITA to get out, Is do-able though and can make for a good 'mod' actually fwiw). Do you have another to compare it to? That is your best bet or if you do not have another to hand are you able to simply visit a friend whom does. Just some of the really obvious you probably will have thought of already, If not then if you are able to go the simplist route of comparing that should clear things up Does it sound good to your ears and on the source signals you had in mind for it? It is easy to get stung when buying over the internet and if that is the case then I am sad to hear about it as it has happened to friends far too many times and myself included

All the best
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

There are several threads on fake 57s on here, search and you will find. This one is very informative with pics:

FAKE SHURE SM57'S (including pics)
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

As far as I'm aware, if it doesn't say it on the label (ie Unidyne III label), it's Mexican made (this is, of course, assuming it's a genuine 57). The picture also shows an XLR latch hole, whereas USA models had no hole, and rather had a ridge around the inside of the XLR connector that it latched into. It does have the screw middle hole, though and this seems to be lacking from newer models. I'd guestimate the time the seller gave you is accurate, or into the early 90's. 1985 was the approximate time that Shure started moving their dynamic microphone manufacturing to Mexico, and by 1990, nearly all their dynamics were manufactured there. Unfortunately, I don't have my 57s with me to compare, but the evidence points to this being a mexican-made 57, albeit an early one.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeshoppe View Post
As far as I'm aware, if it doesn't say it on the label (ie Unidyne III label), it's Mexican made (this is, of course, assuming it's a genuine 57). The picture also shows an XLR latch hole, whereas USA models had no hole, and rather had a ridge around the inside of the XLR connector that it latched into. It does have the screw middle hole, though and this seems to be lacking from newer models. I'd guestimate the time the seller gave you is accurate, or into the early 90's. 1985 was the approximate time that Shure started moving their dynamic microphone manufacturing to Mexico, and by 1990, nearly all their dynamics were manufactured there. Unfortunately, I don't have my 57s with me to compare, but the evidence points to this being a mexican-made 57, albeit an early one.
Yeah thanks for comment. I think the same actually. Gonna measure its resistance when it comes.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

Mine say Made in USA, Shure Brothers Incorporated and Unidyne III all on the rim.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search