The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ad/da - how much am I loosing?
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

ad/da - how much am I loosing?

When recording a modeller - like the pod hd - there are several stages of ad/da

Since both the pod has a converter, and then the signals gets converted back again ones it hits my interface. Are we talking huge degradations of the sound when we're talking about rock guitar? is it a huge compromise?

I'm pretty much aware that the converters in the pod probably aren't too great, and my USB interface is not in the range of RME/apogee either.

I have the pod hd300 so there is only XLR outs - otherwise I would of course try to stay digital with spdif...

What are you guys sayin'?
Old 26th September 2012
Try it both ways and report back

I say, don't mod the pod, keep it grooving however it works well.

EDIT: I mis read your post, no digital outs...sorry..
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

the compromise is in the digital models not the ad/da . I wouldnt be worried about that all . Besides coming back to the analog domain lets you warm things up a bit with some analog outboard , take off the digital sheen
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

Can't you use your POD as an interface? I had a POD XT Live and it had a USB interface. I'd just use it as a second interface straight to the DAW.

But a couple rounds of conversion never hurt anyone. Most pedalboard with modern delays and reverbs or multiFX have a few rounds of conversion before the signal gets to the other end. And analog pedals probably degrade the audio more than even the cheapest of the converters these days.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

I've thought about that as well - but can you really use it as a "second" interface? It's too much of a hassle if I have to connect my monitors to the pod for playback.

What I mean is - can you still have your ordinary interface as the main interface - and record from a "second" being the pod via usb?

In cubase?
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow View Post
I've thought about that as well - but can you really use it as a "second" interface? It's too much of a hassle if I have to connect my monitors to the pod for playback.

What I mean is - can you still have your ordinary interface as the main interface - and record from a "second" being the pod via usb?

In cubase?
I don't know. On Macs you can create aggregate devices, and in Digital Performer you can simply load multiple drivers and devices, so yes. But don't know about your setup.

But just plug your POD analogue outs into your interface. You'll be fine. No one will know the difference.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear
What does multiple passes of AD/DA conversion do? Well, it could potentially raise the noise floor, but as pointed out amps/guitars/pedals are inherently noisy and a few extra dB is likely lost in all the other noise. It could degrade frequency response a little, but guitar lives in the low mids, people still enjoy 32 kHz convertors in the old Korg and Roland digital delays, so that's not a problem. And as pointed out, going out from your POD into say a tube distortion pedal set clean (or Red Iron Buffer2) to warm things up a little will improve the modeling effect...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search