The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MixWizard Owners, please help!
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

MixWizard Owners, please help!

Hi,
I am interesting in Allan & Heath MixWizard WZ3 12 or 16 preamps model and cannot figure out, if it is possible to get a signal from Audiointerface or CD Player into the Mixers headphones without recording it to through the Interface to a DAW.
I would like to play guitar to this incoming signal but only want to record the guitar without the incoming signal. Therefore I need to hear it on my headphones only.

Is this possible with A&H WZ series?

Because of my bad english, I hope eyerything is clear.

Thank you!

Greetings
Roman
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

If you have direct out on Every channel you can bring back the channel you have your guitar connected to back to your sound card. You can of course monitor everything that you have connected to mixer. You want à mixer with direct outs...
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear
The MZ3 series has direct outs on every channel, which is the preferred way if you don't need panning/EQ. If you do, then post EQ sends to auxes would do the job (into channel 1, then out to aux 1 and into your convertor). You return the DAW's output to the main inserts and then listen to that thru the headphones.
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

Thank you for your detailed explanation. Now I understand, the WZ3 has direct outs on all channels. If I got it correct, means I can listen to the whole mix on my phones connected to the mixer but send to the DAW each channel separate - so 1 channel is my guitar, maybe another is for vocals...

Thank you!

Best regards,
Roman
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
The MZ3 series has direct outs on every channel, which is the preferred way if you don't need panning/EQ. If you do, then post EQ sends to auxes would do the job (into channel 1, then out to aux 1 and into your convertor). You return the DAW's output to the main inserts and then listen to that thru the headphones.
drbob, I am not sure got it in my mind. Please follow me:

If I want post EQ and post FX on my guitar, I plugin the guitar on channel 1, make all settings (fader, Pan, EQ, Effects) and connect the Aux1 of the WZ mixer into the Line In of my USB Interface.

Later, to listen what I just recorded, I set the tracks on my DAW I want to hear - connect the Line Out of my Interface to the L/R main inserts of the mixer and can listen on mixers headphones. Is this correct?
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr30 View Post
If I want post EQ and post FX on my guitar, I plugin the guitar on channel 1, make all settings (fader, Pan, EQ, Effects) and connect the Aux1 of the WZ mixer into the Line In of my USB Interface.

Later, to listen what I just recorded, I set the tracks on my DAW I want to hear - connect the Line Out of my Interface to the L/R main inserts of the mixer and can listen on mixers headphones. Is this correct?
Could anybody please verify if this is correct?
Thank you!
Roman
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr30 View Post
drbob, I am not sure got it in my mind. Please follow me:

On the MW series you can send from the Auxes before the fade, which is what I'd do:

1. Input guitar to channel 1. Apply gain, EQ as desired.
2. Send signal from channel 1 thru Aux1 to input on interface.
3. Voice into channel 2 and so on. Again, sending auxes prefader.
4. Bring signal back from DAW. You actually have 2 choices here: you can bring the DAW signal into the main inserts, or the auxillary inputs to the main buss or you can bring it in on channels 15 and 16, and assign them to the main buss. Because you haven't assigned channels 1 and 2 to the main buss, you don't have to hear them (or if you want to, assign them to the main buss and control levels with the fader so you can monitor what you're recording).

Does that make sense? If you look at the back panel of the mixer (or a pic of it) it should be pretty clear.
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

Now I got it.
Thank you very much for the detailed introduction.
Best regards from Switzerland,
Roman

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search