The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you guys edit?
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

How do you guys edit?

On a modern rock song how do u edit the tracks? Do u track drums, edit them if needed, then track guitars and bass, then vox? Do u tune your vox I am having a hard time deciding if my tracks need tightening. Also, trying to find a good workflow. I just want to know your guys' routines. Thanks guys!

EDIT: ive attatch a song of mine, and want to see if you guys think the tightness is fine. I think it is, but just curious. I tracked drums first, didn't touch them as far as editing timing stuff, just a little compression for this rough mix. then tracked guitars, bass and vox. this is a rough.. gotta track vox for 7 more tracks then gonna mix all 12 sequencially. my goal is to see if how the track sounds is how it should or if it needs editing. thanks!

Matt
Attached Files

RW vox mix.mp3 (6.43 MB, 109 views)

Last edited by secretscar; 26th September 2012 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: audio file attatch
Old 25th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretscar View Post
On a modern rock song how do u edit the tracks? Do u track drums, edit them if needed, then track guitars and bass, then vox? Do u tune your vox I am having a hard time deciding if my tracks need tightening. Also, trying to find a good workflow. I just want to know your guys' routines. Thanks guys!
There's few rules, but if you're doing to tighten drums etc, it makes sense to do that prior to further tracking.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

I figured that was the case. I am going to post a song of mine to see if it is in need of tightening. Obvious things are easy for me, but it is the tightening of the whole song of drums that is a question. You will see what I mean by the song I'll post. And vocal tuning, I don't know when to just leave it or go overboard with tuning and tweaking. Thanks monk.!
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

You're probably going to get a few different responses on this matter. Editing and changing/fixing performances seems to be quite a personal matter from person to person.

If you have the best takes you could get, that's all you can do. It's up to you to decide how good they are, and if they are good enough. It's easy to definitely go overboard when 'tightening' things up, but I think where that line is crossed is up to YOU. There are a LOT of commercial releases that no longer sound like human beings... so I don't think you have a whole lot to worry about.

Just do what sounds like music to you. If the vocal takes are decent, it shouldn't get too hard to get the notes back on. If the drums are in the ballpark and there are no fudges that IMMEDIATELY draw attention, you can leave them be if you're going for the vibe and feel thing. If you're trying to go for the grid approach, that's another story.

It just all depends what you are trying to achieve I guess.

Hope that was helpful man.

Nate
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

It all starts with a right-click...
Old 25th September 2012
I like to record the band live, but if that's not possible or how we're approaching it I do drums with everything else as "scratch", finish the drums, then start guitars and bass, etc.

I fix the drums if needed, but I'd rather the band just kick ass haha. Lots of times the scratches make it to the final mix, as you guys know.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

Awesome answers fellas! Really what I was hoping for. That's what I have been doing, nice to hear it is semi normal. I am not very good at editing but want to learn, especially drms and vox. I'll post song in a few hours when I'm off work. Thanks again guys!
Old 26th September 2012
Quote:
I figured that was the case. I am going to post a song of mine to see if it is in need of tightening. Obvious things are easy for me, but it is the tightening of the whole song of drums that is a question. You will see what I mean by the song I'll post. And vocal tuning, I don't know when to just leave it or go overboard with tuning and tweaking. Thanks monk.!
Basically, if there's anything that bothers you, it needs fixing. Things don't need to be gridded necessarily (although in some styles it's appropriate), but even a drummer with great feel might need the odd hit pulling back into time.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Head

I posted a song in my op. Would be nice to hear from a few of you about how the tightness, or looseness of the song is. If maybe I shouldn't be worried about editing it or I should. Thanks in advance!
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I posted a song in my op. Would be nice to hear from a few of you about how the tightness, or looseness of the song is. If maybe I shouldn't be worried about editing it or I should. Thanks in advance!
I think it sounds GREAT! Well done!!

J.
Old 26th September 2012
I think the drums could use some tightening in the softer parts where he's grooving. Chorusses etc sound okay to me. Guitars sound tight. You may have to align the bass with the drums afterwards, but I think it will be worth it. Especially considering the style. But don't overdo it indeed
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for input, thought I might be over reacting
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

I think the best edit for this track is to carve it back to 3:20. lol I am older and my attention span is suffering.

Seriously, nice effort......sounds good.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Head

generally I think it sounds fine. I would fix any one offs, like one part that stuck out to me was a kick or snare at 3:52

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search