The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Blolfeld DESK or KEYBOARD ???
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Head

Waldorf Blolfeld DESK or KEYBOARD ???

Hi guys.

I`m going to buy Waldorf Blofeld like realy realy soon, tomorrow perhaps. But I ran into this youtube video of guy using desktop version of blofeld with midi controler playing MULTI mode and in comments he says, that desktop version has different multi mode than keyboard. This bugs me pretty hard cause multi mode is the reason I`ve chose blofeld.

Do you know the differences between waldorf blofeld desktop and keyboard version, when using multi mode?

Please, reply ASAP, i don`t want to make mistake. I want keyboard version, but if it`s worst for using multi mode, I`ll definitly choose desktop version.

Thanks!
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

I don't really know the multi mode difference, if any, between desktop and keyboard (I have keyboard), but I'd say I'd be surprised if the keyboard was worse, seeing as it has options for other things not included in desktop (sample memory comes to mind).
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Head

I know about sample memory and all those additions, but (and you probably know this) you can buy sample extension for desktop version too, so functionality would be the same.

What I`m worried about is that perhaps multi mode will work better way when controled over midi, cause it`s different data recieved directly from keboard version and from midi controler.

Somebody?
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

I know, indeed. I was just pointing out that the KB comes as a more complete package, so if anything it's probably fair to assume it shouldn't be inferior in functionality and/or FW.

I'm not sure I understand what you worry about. For one thing, FW versions are exactly the same for keyboard and desktop. I don't mean the same version number, I mean the same binary file. Will you be controlling multi mode directly from the keyboard (local on) or through a sequencer or DAW (local off)? If it's the latter, then the results should be exactly the same as if you were controlling desktop version with an external midi controller (unless you imply the Blofeld KB has a faulty midi controller to begin with).

FWIW I've never heard anywhere else that multi setup differed from the two models.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

I will be using just Blofeld, nothing else. It`s going to be my only synth, so if i buy keyboard - I would cotrol multi with its own keyboard and if i buy desktop i will control multi with midi controler keyboard. maybe multi mode acts different when local is ON or OFF?
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

From what I've seen, it doesn't seem so. Do you already have that other controller KB? Because you could very well control Blofeld KB with it, too... Just saying
If multi was flawed on KB to begin with, I'd be very surprised Waldorf didn't rectify it in all these years since it had been out...
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

I don`t have controler yet. I`m not gonna need it if I`ll buy kb version

I wouldn`t be supprised if no one would notice this, cause I don`t think that multi mode of blofeld is used that often by ordinary users.

Well, I wrote email to waldorf support, hope they`ll reply soon. In the meantime - how do you like keyboard version? Do you have black or white one? I ordered black one and can`t wait Do you use multi mode often?
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

So I`ve got in touch with this guy who made youtube video and he replied this to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroNoiser
"Your question is difficult to answer.
in Blofeld Keyboard; the 16 midi parts are executed from the keyboard of Blofeld and therefore sound all sounds that are in the 16 parts, so you have to set the option "Key range" to assign different key ranges for each sound if you so desire.
not be controlled on the keyboard only part, and switch to parts between to sounds.

in Blofeld desktop; from an external MIDI keyboard, you can send one MIDI channel for the sound you want to control, also you can assign the same midi channel for parties who want to control and set in "key range" to set different sounds on the same keyboard"
I`m not really able to understand what he ment. Can anyone explain it to me, please? Would it be better to use desktop mode?

He also gave mi link on spanish forum, where they talk about it, but I dont speak spanish. If anyone could take a look and try to help me, please?
Usuarios de Waldorf Blofeld : Sintetizadores pág. 159 | Hispasonic
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

The difference between the Blofeld desktop and is nothing but key on the keyboard.
Keybord Blofeld sends signal to all parties midi,* therefore, by pressing a key eg "C4" , C4 will be sent to 16 MIDI channels. so if you want to sound a single channel, must set the parameter "key range" or go to "part receive" and assigned to "mute" the channels do not need.
greetings.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektronoiser View Post
The difference between the Blofeld desktop and is nothing but key on the keyboard.
Keybord Blofeld sends signal to all parties midi,* therefore, by pressing a key eg "C4" , C4 will be sent to 16 MIDI channels. so if you want to sound a single channel, must set the parameter "key range" or go to "part receive" and assigned to "mute" the channels do not need.
greetings.
I own the desktop, did not know this ^^^^^ about the keyboard .
Seems problematic to me, if you wanted to switch sounds to play by switching midi channels;
or what happens if you add a sequencer to play other channels ? If they are unmuted for the sequencer , are you saying the keyboard would also play them.

Other multi timbral synths I've used let you change keyboard channel and it only plays that channel.

According to the Blofeld manual ,There is a " Local ON/OFF " option switchable by midi CC 122 . Could you set the unit to
LOcal OFF then connect midi OUT to midi IN . Maybe this way you can change channel to play other sounds without needing to either mute channels or muck about with keyzones ?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

I had a Blofeld. Digging thru the menus was no fun. Think long and hard about that.

What DAW do you use? Logic 9 comes with a synth that has twice the number of waveforms (100) that the Blofeld has. The modulation is endless and the instances you can use are endless. It also has a sampler, which is infinitely more powerful than any synthesizer. Just a 1 second sample of the human voice, by isolated and looping short fragments of sound, contains all the possible waveforms you could ever need.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhertz View Post
Could you set the unit to
LOcal OFF then connect midi OUT to midi IN . Maybe this way you can change channel to play other sounds without needing to either mute channels or muck about with keyzones ?
this is actually good idea. could someone try this? would be nice to know that this workaroud works

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
I had a Blofeld. Digging thru the menus was no fun. Think long and hard about that.

What DAW do you use? Logic 9 comes with a synth that has twice the number of waveforms (100) that the Blofeld has.
i don`t like digging thru the menus, but i can live with it, if i`s logicaly arranged. i don`t have a computer, so no DAW for me.

what am i actually strating to doubt is no external input. i know, that blofeld is supposed to have bad effects but still - it would be nice to be able to plug microphone in and make some fun. but i suppose that there is no 3-4 octave synth keyboard that has this good multi AND audio input. i`s shame.
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

You can have better results if you ask your question on Facebook Blofeld group:

Greetings :-)
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Head

if i had a facebook account i would give it a try :D
nevermind, i ordered keyboard version and waiting now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search