The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A couple of 1/2" 8 track questions
Old 3rd July 2006
Gear Maniac

A couple of 1/2" 8 track questions

I have a singer songwriter project coming up. Going to use my good old revox 278. This is a fairly rare machine, I never actually seen another one like it. So I'm not sure if many people have experiance with it or not. But here are are my questions.

I've been doing a bit of looking and I'm wondering if I change a few things with the way it is set-up. It runs at 15ips and If I remeber correctly it is supposed to be setup for NAB eq.

1. I'm running it with 456 +6. I'm thinking about stepping up to 499. Any body have any thoughts on this.

2. What is required to modify the machine to operate with a different eq standered? I can't just use a different calibration tape can I?

I'm a little concerned about noise, and I think the 456 may be a bit to colored. I've never been a fan of NR and if possible I would love to keep it analog until I mix it.

Thanks,
Jared
Old 3rd July 2006
Lives for gear

15 ips/456 is great for rock and roll, but I think you might be on the right track. I went back and forth a lot, and what you're saying makes sense.

I used a Tascam TSR-8 and later an Otari 5050 MKIII.

I bet that Revox is a beaut.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search