The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what do engineers do for health insurance?? Digital Converters
Old 30th June 2006
what do engineers do for health insurance??

so im looking at the possibility for working as a full time engineer at a studio but wondering about the benefits of this profession? any expiriences?
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear
When I worked for big studios, they had health insurance.

these days I don't know...

Marry someone with health insurance...
and vote for people who understand that every CIVILISED nation provides health care.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by contramark
so im looking at the possibility for working as a full time engineer at a studio but wondering about the benefits of this profession? any expiriences?

Paid time off, medical and dental, 401k, overtime pay, free child care, and retirement contributions are all things you can kiss goodbye should you choose to join this fine profession.

Yet we still do it.

Why? Because we have to.
Old 30th June 2006
T9c
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
When I worked for big studios, they had health insurance.

these days I don't know...

and vote for people who understand that every CIVILISED nation provides health care.

I agree, but the US has better.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have a plan with Humana, it's not cheap, but it comes with a membership to the YMCA, they figure it to be a preventitive measure, and I have to agree, since joining and doing some working out, swimming, steam room, ect...I'm feeling much better.

It doesn't cover everything 100%, but in the event of something major I believe it's 80/20 coverage, so I wouldn't go completely bankrupt.

Years ago, I used to have a plan that covered my medical costs 100%, drugs, everything.....but that's anchient history now.

I'm also into DIY healthcare, and researching out medicinal values of various common everyday foods. Eating the right foods, can prevent and help cure many ailments.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
you can buy a health insurance policy just like you buy car insurance.

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

no need to marry anyone or rely on the government... heh
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Try the Freelancers Union as well....

http://www.workingtoday.org/
Old 30th June 2006
jdg
Lives for gear

300/mo for me and the wife wiht a huge ass deductible.
like 2500. fook.
good thing im not clumsy (except for that huge gash i just put in my toe when i stubbed it on my guitar (which i had on the ground, dont ask why))
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Addict

Cash on the barrel. We buy our own health insurance from Kaiser. $650/mo for me, my wife, and our daughter. The good news is that here in LA, the Kaiser network is great. They have two huge research hospitals within 20 minutes of us, and clinics everywhere. The care we've received has always been excellent.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

$69 a month with a $2500 deductible here. if you get a policy with an hsa (health savings account), you can put money into it to cover your deductible...
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Get married to a career woman with a great plan! I did..LOL Not to take anything away from the fact I just plain love her to death, it was a nice benefit.

That being said if I had to get my own, I have seen plans from $200-$600 a month. If you don't have it get it guys! Put that gear purchasing aside for the importance of your health!
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Yes, you need health insurance around here, that's for sure. Around here, they'll charge you over $200 just to walk in the emergency room plus doctors fees and medication. Some doctors and dentists won't even talk to you if you have no insurance, medicare, or work on a cash only basis. If you get really sick, the bill can easily become astronomical, and they will sic the collection companies after you for payment. I know of one blood testing lab that will sue you if you owe them $5.00.

The best plan ?? Pay the insurance, then don't get sick, ever.
Old 30th June 2006
Motown legend

Quote:
...Marry someone with health insurance...
That's it...

My wife's employer pays 1/3 of what it cost us for minimal individual coverage for better coverage than anything that's available to an individual at any price. Her insurance benefits are literally worth more than her pay. The whole thing is sick.

It's also a rip-off because the federal government pays out more in medicare benefits than it would cost to simply provide health care to every man woman and child in the country.
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Addict

My wife and I, both self-employed, use Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois. Not total coverage....but not bad. (80/20 with a $2500 deductible) I'm really interested in getting into an HSA (Health Savings Account). It seems like a nice option for the future of healthcare. I still have a lot of research to do on it. I've heard good things from people who have one set up as well as my tax guy.
Old 1st July 2006
Gear Addict

Healthcare should be free.

Your country is nuts.
Old 1st July 2006
Gear Guru

I do a lot of film/tv stuff along with the music engineering ,so I'm in local union 695 .
i pay yearly dues..well worth it.
Thank god I'm covered under the motion picture/ television health plan which is very good
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Im sitting in my hospital room!

I'm sitting in my hospital room waiting for the nurse to bring me some fing Fentyol! as we disscuss health insurance! Ok I now have the wife Plan Blues of TX PPO!
The hospital is laying off 1300 people including my best freind and who knows Maybe the wife?
As the Person with most likely the highest health care tab on GS (almost 3mill)
and almost a year in the hospital (yeahh want to know search ERIC NELSON MADISON WISCONSIN BUS FIRE april 19,1998)
YEAH AMERICAS GOT THE BEST IF YOU can afford itotherwise its near the bottom!
I have seen way to many people fall through the cracks or go bankrupt!
Forget raiseing money to find a cure for this or that how about finding the money to pay for what we can do now!

Also get yourself some disability insurance its worth every penny!
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Here in Canuckistan I pay $96 per month for my wife and I. No deductible.

Unfortunately the canadian system is not working so well with long wait times for surgery etc....it could definitely stand to be improved but I'm thankful for what we have.

Health care should not be considered insurance, it should be a human right. The american "every man for himself" attitude is shameful if you ask me....but who did?

-Z-
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
My wife's employer pays 1/3 of what it cost us for minimal individual coverage for better coverage than anything that's available to an individual at any price. Her insurance benefits are literally worth more than her pay. The whole thing is sick.
...but aren't her benefits part of her compensation?

hey, jenre - i'm coming to the uk for some of that free health care!
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco
Here in Canuckistan I pay $96 per month for my wife and I. No deductible.

Unfortunately the canadian system is not working so well with long wait times for surgery etc....it could definitely stand to be improved but I'm thankful for what we have.

Health care should not be considered insurance, it should be a human right. The american "every man for himself" attitude is shameful if you ask me....but who did?

-Z-
Which is why LA is 4th largest city in Canada. Let's leave the commentary out and focus on the topic, shall we?

JP
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Isn't a $2500 deductable really high? My insurance now is like a 20 dollar deductable for most things. I know that i couldn't spring 2500 if I broke something and had to go to the hopistal, or developed a serious condition.

Remember all- EVERYONE will get sick and die at some point. If you don't have insurance, it's going to be a slow, expensive, painful, and barely treated downward spiral.

And for you that say you are "healthy" well, it's gonna happen at some point. I think the average man has something like 7 'major' illnesses/diseases in his entire lifetime. If you have to pay $2500 just to see a doctor at all, to check on something, then there's a damn good chance you aren't going for regular visits, and well... it's going to catch up with you.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by contramark
It really depends on how big the company is. Over the last 16 years, I was offically employed by someone for about 11 months from the fall of '91 to the summer of '92. Other than that, I've carried my own health insurance that whole time. I had been only with Blue Cross until recently, when i found a national network called CCN USA. They have more of an a la carte approach to coverage, and it seems to fit my needs better.

You should also consider the financial and tax implications of being self employed -- good and bad.

It's an independent existence, for better or worse. You need to be disciplined and responsible. But i can't see myself ever being an employee again...

good luck...

John
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Health care in the US is pitiful.
Since me and my girlfriend are "same-sex partners," we DONT qualify for sharing the health insurance from her work. So, I either pay for it myself, or try to collect four-leaf clovers heh That means a nice cleaning at the dentist for us is almost $200...and her part is only $14, thx to her insurance from work. But, that is minor compared to some of the other things we are denied out of pure prejudice...

Im gonna go beat the **** outta something while screaming an obscenity in complete frustration with this country now...<sigh>

(sorry to hijack a little, and whine...)
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
Isn't a $2500 deductable really high? My insurance now is like a 20 dollar deductable for most things. I know that i couldn't spring 2500 if I broke something and had to go to the hopistal, or developed a serious condition.

Remember all- EVERYONE will get sick and die at some point. If you don't have insurance, it's going to be a slow, expensive, painful, and barely treated downward spiral.

And for you that say you are "healthy" well, it's gonna happen at some point. I think the average man has something like 7 'major' illnesses/diseases in his entire lifetime. If you have to pay $2500 just to see a doctor at all, to check on something, then there's a damn good chance you aren't going for regular visits, and well... it's going to catch up with you.

that's a really good argument for an HSA, so that you have a savings account to pay for your deductible when you need to. it's ALL about planning.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenre

Your country is nuts.
Also the best health care imo. Many people from here travel south of the border. Some things are not covered here so if people travel south and have it done, OHIP will cover it

I have a great benfits package.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

There's a difference between a deductible for a major illness and a co-pay for a doctor's visit which usually brings the patient's tab to around $25 - $30. That will cover you walking in the door, but not X-rays/shots/colonics (ewwww!!!! ).
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

In Massachusetts employers will be REQUIRED to offer health insurance to all employees soon. Pretty freaking cool eh? Every citizen of the state will have to have health insurance, so there will no longer be an 'uninsured' underclass! Whoo!

Hey, i'm not happy about having to pay an insurance company a lot, so they can pay the doctors a lot, so they can pay their insurance company a lot, so then they get sued they can pay some asshole a lot. People make mistakes. It's life, but with all of the medical lawsuits, it's driving the cost of malpractice insurance (and theirfore health insurance) sky high.

I figure that having it is 100% needed after seeing my father's medical bills for his cancer treatment and my sister's medical bills for her diabetes. There's no way to save for that. His cancer treatments cost him nearly 1/2 million dollars before the insurance kicked in and took care of MOST of it (and by that i mean we still owe thousands in co-payments). If you are rich you can save for it, but otherwise no.

I could develop testicular cancer or something else right now, and I haven't had years to save thousands of dollars to treat it.

It's a neccesary evil in this country it seems.

Maybe I should have gone to insurance. It sure is where all the money is being made it seems!
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k
Health care in the US is pitiful.
Since me and my girlfriend are "same-sex partners," we DONT qualify for sharing the health insurance from her work. So, I either pay for it myself, or try to collect four-leaf clovers heh That means a nice cleaning at the dentist for us is almost $200...and her part is only $14, thx to her insurance from work. But, that is minor compared to some of the other things we are denied out of pure prejudice...

Im gonna go beat the **** outta something while screaming an obscenity in complete frustration with this country now...<sigh>

(sorry to hijack a little, and whine...)
...and there ARE companies that offer benefits to same-sex couples. it just depends on the employer.

back on topic, have you thought about buying an insurance policy? imo, its more empowering than having to rely on someone else's coverage...
Old 1st July 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenre
Healthcare is never free. It's just a question of who foots the bill - us through insurance premiums, us through taxes, or our children through debt.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

It's high if you don't have anything horrible happen to you. But if something does happen...

I know a guy who ended up in the hospital with no insurance, and he came out $30,000.00 in debt.

It all depends on your situation. If you go to the doctor once or twice a year, then the coverage is there in case something MAJOR goes wrong --accident, sudden illness. Otherwise, as a self employed person, you'd be paying even more that the approximately $200.00/month that Blue Cross is charging in the LA area for policies with a $2500.00 deductible.

yes, everyone will die at some point. But the question is, based on your current health situation: is it cheaper to have a high deductible, lower monthly payment policy or a low deductible, high monthly payment one? It really depends on how much you go to the doctor, and what your individual circumstances are.

And remember, the duductable is cumulative for the year, and the insurance company is still negotiating the your rates for you with the doctor.

And as far as the idea that not going for regular visits may catch up to you, that is a different topic for a different area of this forum.

Cheers,
john

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search