The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Toms/Cymbals parallel to the floor
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut
Toms/Cymbals parallel to the floor

I had a session today with Divine Fits. The drummer (Sam Brown) set up with toms and cymbals parallel to the deck - then I realized that many of the best drummers I've recorded set up flat.

It's easy to mic up flat toms, and all components sound nice and faithful in the overheads. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Old 11th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
I had a session today with Divine Fits. The drummer (Sam Brown) set up with toms and cymbals parallel to the deck - then I realized that many of the best drummers I've recorded set up flat.

It's easy to mic up flat toms, and all components sound nice and faithful in the overheads. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
It depends where your "overheads" are. Personally, the positioning of my overhead placements will somewhat depend on the angle of the cymbals and other elements of the kit. Luckily, most drummers that I've run into have somewhat consistent angling across the kit.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Guru

I set up all my stuff slightly angled "in". I mean it's pretty flat, but there is a slight tilt toward a common center for ease in crossing from any drum to any other drum.

I think level drums in general encourage good technique, in the sense of "practice pad" technique. People who have to contort their bodies or change their stroke as they move around the kit, tend to move around the kit LESS.

I never thought it made much of a difference one way or the other in the sound of overheads. I think the heads of a drum are more like a 'floodlight' than a 'spotlight'. It doesn't have to be "looking" at your mics to pick up. And cymbals even more so.

One place where "level" might be a negative is the floor tom. A perfectly level floor tom may set up standing waves between the bottom head and the floor because it creates a perfectly parallel space under there.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Guru

I've never noticed a huge difference when I've had guys set up like that. I put up mics and get good sounds. I know there's no way I can play on a drumset set up like that, but others are used to it and can sound great.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

This is basically the way I set-up my kits over the last fifty some years. I never have flat cymbals or toms. If my toms were flat, I would be hitting the rims all day long.

Dennis
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Sweet drum room, Dennis!

How many drumset do you have there?
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut
I guess I should say that our work involves a very quick turnaround. The initial placement has to be 90% "there" since I can usually only afford to make one trip for adjustments. Also, the room leaves much to be desired.

Maybe it makes it easier for me to visualize when set up this way.. who knows. I just tend to find them easier to work with when crunched for time (always)! Examples here and in attachment:

As opposed to, say...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search