The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C48 Manual? Condenser Microphones
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Sony C48 Manual?

Anybody have a user manual for a Sony C48?

.PDF would be great but I'd be willing to pay someone for a copied version of it.

Best,

Jay
jrasia (at) yahoo.ca
Old 30th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasia
Anybody have a user manual for a Sony C48?

.PDF would be great but I'd be willing to pay someone for a copied version of it.

Best,

Jay
jrasia (at) yahoo.ca
Sorry, can't help with the manual, but I do own the mic, and it's a great little secret weapon.

If you happen to dig one up in .pdf form and feel like forwarding a copy (Jay to Jay), I wouldn't complain...

Good luck in your search,
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks Jay!

If I find one, I'll be sure to forward it.

My main reason for finding one was to find out if this mic accepts 48V phantom power without any problems. I know it accepts a 9V battery, but I just wanted to make sure if its alright to run PP through it too.

Jay
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Yes, you can run P48 to it. With or without a battery installed.

I have a pair of C-48, no easy way to copy a manual though. Sony will sell (!) you one I bet. If I can get access to a scanner I'll try when I can.

My all time favorite mic for acoustic instruments, especially guitars. Great on many vocalists too.

Steve

edit, FYI:
Sony Canada has recommended these folks to me in the past for parts orders, I don't have direct experience with them:

Global Electronics Supply, in Ontario.
800-668-8776
905-624-8516

The direct number for Sony Canada Business & Professional is 416-496-5500
Old 30th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasia
Thanks Jay!

If I find one, I'll be sure to forward it.

My main reason for finding one was to find out if this mic accepts 48V phantom power without any problems. I know it accepts a 9V battery, but I just wanted to make sure if its alright to run PP through it too.

Jay
The battery is a nice option for location work, but I always use phantom on it. Like Steve says, it sounds good on acoustic instruments and many vocals. The way I've always described it is that it's like the offspring of an 87 and a 414. It's not as warm as the old 87, but definitely has a better top; it has some sparkle like a 414, but is warmer and avoids the shrillness of the 414. Imagine those two familiar mics meeting in the middle and you have a C48.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Yes that sounds like a good description Jay. That is a fine capsule and transformer in that C48 for sure, such a pure tone.

The battery power is really handy for me -- I'm using the Sonys with older model Gordon preamps, which change to a lower impedance if the phantom power is engaged. Since I prefer the high-Z setting, running with the mic's self power is perfect. Very handy for comparisons... no need to remote power the mic to split it to two different preamps. And as you mentioned, a great advantage for live sound, don't have to chase phantom from snakes or uncertain setups.

I was using AT4051a a long time, after choosing them over Gefell M300 and some others. Then a few times I started running one 4051 with my single C48, and was amazed at the truer sound and extended depth from the Sony. So I tracked down another one and did some comparisons using the pair. Wonderful sound, so much more realism from the live room than the small diaphragm mics. C48 is all I use now on acoustic strings, and often choose it over M149 for vocals.

I'll try to get pdf scans of the manual for you guys if I can.

Steve
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Here is a scanned pdf of the manual, not the greatest quality....

C48_Manual

Steve
Old 30th June 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Dealing with Sony is a huge pain in the ass. Squeegybug knows exactly what I'm talking about. I called them last summer trying to get some parts for a C-38b mounting yoke. They said they would call me back ........................................................I'm still waiting for that phone call. Just hope and pray you don't ever need parts for that thing.

That being said, I would still like to buy another C-38b some day.
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks Steve, thats awesome!
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Addict

I know this is off topic, but I have had this mic for a couple of months and love it. However, the omni setting is broke from what I assume is a drop. I have heard horror stories about Sony Customer Service, so can anyone recommend a place I could send the mic to, to get it checked out?

Probably a long shot but who knows.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Phantom is phine to power this mic. Make sure to not leave the battery in if you are not going to use the battery for long periods, batteries tend to corrode.

Great mic, I have two of them.

Any one have a good shockmount solution for them?
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah14
omni setting is broke from what I assume is a drop. I have heard horror stories about Sony Customer Service, so can anyone recommend a place I could send the mic to, to get it checked out?
I don't have direct experience, have been told that Doug Walker in Canada works on Sonys.

I'm not sure about Sony service, but I can highly recommend Tony Merrill at SP Audio for mic repairs, maybe worth a call.

Sony has been pretty responsive to my needs and calls over the years. And some of their pro broadcast dealers have been really helpful as well. Kind of hard sometimes to track down the right numbers....

Steve

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search