The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headphones for Tracking Studio Headphones
Old 6th September 2012
Gear Head

Headphones for Tracking

Hi guys,

I recently did some string quartet overdubs and found that headphone leak was a BIG problem for me.

Can anybody with experience of particular makes and models suggest and headphones which can give a loud sound but keep the sound inside the headphones to cut down leakage. I'm not particularly bothered about sound getting in and they really don't need to be super duper audio quality either.

I'm assuming all suggestions will be closed cup cans and I found the 'extreme isolation' headphones which claim to be good but I've never tried them myself.

Cheers, Dave
Old 6th September 2012
Gear Addict

Over the ear hearing protection and some earubds will do the job very well.
Old 6th September 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_25 View Post
Over the ear hearing protection and some earubds will do the job very well.
Great suggestion and I hadn't thought of that at all. I imagine it would work really well but I'd want to get headphones which I could use with different artists and in-ears probably isn't the most hygienic solution.

Thanks, Dave
Old 6th September 2012
Gear Head

The Extreme Isolations EX-29 are what I use, and they work great. The Sennheiser HD280 are good for that too I hear.
Old 2nd November 2012
Here for the gear

EX-25's would work

I would buy EX-25's if you are concerned about isolation and price. 25's are a little cheaper as the dB quality isn't the same as 29's. I use them for various things, but isolation is the key with these things, hence the name Extreme Isolation Headphones. Hope this is helpful.
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Maniac

Not to dump on your parade too much but i'd test some out first, i've encountered a lot of string players who struggle with tuning when using particularly isolated headphones, many of them prefered the one on one off arrangement
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search