The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Music Marketing, Setting up a record
Old 29th June 2006
no ssl yet 
Music Marketing, Setting up a record

Guys I've been thinking about this alot lately. If you had the budget to do a record (promo wise), and it was recorded and pressed, what would be your progression of steps.

I think it's pointless to throw a record on the radio and put it in the stores with no "set-up". Of course you can buy some radio in any market. You can run cable TV adds and radio spots, but the average distributor will only take 150-200 pieces on a new act (indi). This makes it impossible to move impressive sound scan numbers the first week, even if you have the ability/skill to build say 12,000 units of demand. You cant sell what's not available for sale. Plus, if you build the demand and distributors aren't willing to carry right away, Bootleggers will kill the record before you make a dime.

Of course the thing to do would be to build hype at the retail/distribution level as well as the streets.

So how would you go about the "Set Up"
Any Ideas?
Old 30th June 2006
no ssl yet 
Damn not many opinions on this one, no wonder indi labels are not making much noise
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Maniac

It depends on what sort of music you make. Getting a remix from a better known act could help. getting a buzz is important-lots of live performances. does this help!?
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Maniac

This is a mystery indeed. I co-ownded a record label in Nashville for a couple of years, and we sought out these answers in real time. We released a record nationwide with a decent budget(500,000) used Sony Red distribution, nationwide touring, music video, song licensing, and lots of radio. We still ended up in the hole in the end, and decided to quit before the going got too tough. Without a major label creating the hype, with there networking infastructure, it is next to impossible, without inventing a new system. Personally I am overwhelmed with myspace, and living in Nashville, traveling to New York and La for a while, at all the different acts, there has to be millions.
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Addict

I worked for two and a half years at an indi label - doing publicity.

I can honestly say that Radio play is the absolute key. I would pay a publicist who has a great name and contacts to pitch the record to stations - focusing on key cities. You really need them to commit with strong rotation.

Then try and set up interviews and maybe get the station to present shows with a live recording broadcast late-night. It's great if you can get one or two presenters with clout to really champion you.

Do CD give-aways on air as well. And focus on being great in interviews. What's your story, what set's you apart. Then it's all about getting on one of the big festival tours or supporting a bigger band to get out there. At the festival, hire a street team to spread the word about your band. Hand out a few hundred singles to try and build a buzz.

Don't even worry about CD sales at this point. People love being in the know about an underground act that they went to the CD store for but the assistant didn't even know. If the buzz starts to build then the retailers will get stock up soon enough. Just generate the hype and the rest falls into place.

Just some ideas anyway. You're not going to compete with the major artists in terms of promo dollars, so try and conquer a few cities at a time and let it snow-ball.

Rez
Old 30th June 2006
no ssl yet 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza
I worked for two and a half years at an indi label - doing publicity.

I can honestly say that Radio play is the absolute key. I would pay a publicist who has a great name and contacts to pitch the record to stations - focusing on key cities. You really need them to commit with strong rotation.

Then try and set up interviews and maybe get the station to present shows with a live recording broadcast late-night. It's great if you can get one or two presenters with clout to really champion you.

Do CD give-aways on air as well. And focus on being great in interviews. What's your story, what set's you apart. Then it's all about getting on one of the big festival tours or supporting a bigger band to get out there. At the festival, hire a street team to spread the word about your band. Hand out a few hundred singles to try and build a buzz.

Don't even worry about CD sales at this point. People love being in the know about an underground act that they went to the CD store for but the assistant didn't even know. If the buzz starts to build then the retailers will get stock up soon enough. Just generate the hype and the rest falls into place.

Just some ideas anyway. You're not going to compete with the major artists in terms of promo dollars, so try and conquer a few cities at a time and let it snow-ball.

Rez

That's exactly what I have planned. I've released indi records before, and I can remeber the sales difference before and AFTER radio play. The record went from nothing to a few hundred units a day. I definately have some solid radio contacts, and a good radio BUDGET (pay to play game).

I'm just trying to get a method to the madness. In terms of scheduling and set up.
I wanna crank out 2 singles at radio and street promo before releasing the album so that's at least a 8 week set up IMO, and probably $20 grand spent on radio BEFORE there's anything even available for sale.

(This is NOT a cheap business to be in).
Old 1st July 2006
Motown legend

Timing is everything!

The trick is getting sales/CDs in stores, promotion, press coverage, airplay and gigs to all happen at the same time in each market so that each supports all of the others. Each, unfortunately, often depends on calling in favors so choosing the right combination of people is critical rather than just throwing money at the problem.

If you are really creative in your choices and approach, you can actually save a bundle. The other thing is that you need to be very flexible about exactly when it all happens.
Old 5th June 2012
Here for the gear

I assume this is post building the fan base part of things..
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

my steps..

1. Dont bother.

the costs of licensing, promotion, distribution etc... far out weigh any return you would make on 1 record..

at least look to get a roster together and even then dont really expect a return..

just my 0.79p...
Old 4th July 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Timing is everything!

The trick is getting sales/CDs in stores, promotion, press coverage, airplay and gigs to all happen at the same time in each market so that each supports all of the others. Each, unfortunately, often depends on calling in favors so choosing the right combination of people is critical rather than just throwing money at the problem.

If you are really creative in your choices and approach, you can actually save a bundle. The other thing is that you need to be very flexible about exactly when it all happens.

Completely Agree!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search