The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording digitally, compression on input? Dynamics Processors (HW)
View Poll Results: Compression on input
I use a compressor going in
37 Votes - 63.79%
I save compression for after
13 Votes - 22.41%
Sometimes, it depends...
8 Votes - 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

Recording digitally, compression on input?

Who puts a compressor BEFORE their A/D convertors?
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

Ha, ha. I just responded to your other thread! I'm in the camp that does not compress going in with the idea that it'll give me more options later on in the recording process... I do however monitor with the same compression/FX settings that I will likely use in the mix... this really helps with the artist's performances.
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

I do but not always.
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

it clearely depends...mostly yes cos pre driven hard is a "compressor" too
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

I almost always have a compressor in the chain...but not usually doing radical ****. Unless it's for an effect.
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

I try to save my possibilities. So no compression just if really really a must have situation.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

Vox, bass guitar, acoustic guitar always either via DBX 160x or ART VLA on the
way in. Nothing drastic, just a little. Thinking about electic guitars in the future, too.
I starting to lose interest in plug in compressors.
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

Usually VOX only...but VOX allways
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
I almost always have a compressor in the chain...but not usually doing radical ****. Unless it's for an effect.
Like he said!

/Cojo
Old 29th June 2006
Here for the gear

Comp pre A/D

If i can't set my gain to accomodate for the dynamics of the source then i will use a comp pre a/d as a last resort, but typically its not too wise to paint ur self in a corner, by that i mean limit ur possibilites like the other gent, of course if u find a comp setting that u like that sounds good for what ur recording and u want to print it to tape right away, mults on a patch bay are always useful

p.s I know you guys love the name!!
Old 29th June 2006
Gear Addict

I'm suprised to see so many saying yes to this. I do often as well. But as was mentioned, it's often less is more. Very little indeed, just enough to bring he into port with out taking out the dock.
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

For vox I usually set up a compressor to not do anything at 'nominal' level, set up with a reasonable amount of headroom, then when the singer decides to belt out something at least I don't have digital overs. I like to save the majority of compression for mixdown.
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

Not enough options in this poll ,,

For live recording Vocs, Gtrs , timbale or whatever i almost always use a bit of compression , if not for anything else other than to get the magic take without worrying overly that the singer decided to sing 4db louder all of a sudden .....mind you i also ride the pre input as well ......

Tracking midi/synths i never use a compressor , IMO no need what so ever ......

Maybe an inbetween option would have been nice
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz
Not enough options in this poll ,,
That might be true. I think everyone has a general rule though - using or not using compression most of the time - so the 2 choices seemed sufficient.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

I do it quite a lot...
There's a lot of stuff that I know it will need at least a certain degree of compression and/or gain make up... so I'd rather do it in the first place with hardware than later on with software...
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Head

I keep a compressor or limiter in for anything with a lot of dynamics (e.g. drums, vox, etc...) just to level it a little, and to keep any overs from happening.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Seldom some times as a limiter but normally II like to leave my options open!
Old 1st July 2006
Gear Head

True I like to keep my options open most times as well, guess a lot comes down to the musician and style of music when I'm making the decision. I mainly use it as a failsafe at somewhere like -2db just in case someone decides to get loud.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

I'd say I'm about 75% compression on the way in (-2 to -4) 25% not.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search