The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
c12 or u47 for bass? Condenser Microphones
Old 28th June 2006
Gear Nut

c12 or u47 for bass?

i was thinking of getting one really nice mic for electric bass thru a b15 and upright. possibly a wunder cm7 or c12 or the peluso versions. i'm looking to capture that dry cardboard box bass tone similiar to the bass on neil young's "harvest". preamps are great river original and gret rivernv and mics i have right now are beyer m380 and re-20.
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

geeeezzzzz

i should have your dilemma.... i want very badly a c12 but if as your stated pupose for bass i'ld go the 47..... that said im surprised/happy for you to go to extreemes for this a slut of the first order..... if dry cardboard boxy bass is the deired effect not sure you couldnt accomplish with eq???? (did he say that?) ok hold it down..... when you say that to me i thnik of close miced..big room..maybe some gobos... and roll off the bottom....
Old 28th June 2006
Gear Nut

maybe should have asked about comp/eq instead

a quick google search turned up thisClassic Tracks: Neil Young's "Heart of Gold"
so i guess it was d.i.. i could have swore that on the dvda of harvest they had footage of the band recording in a barn and neil was drinking a pull tab coors, laying in a field playing with a cow patty.

i can get the cardboard sound to come out of the amp just want to capture it well. Also i wanted to give an example of tone to distiguish that i wasn't going for that "roundwound rattlin against the frets" tone that seems to be the norm nowadays.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search