The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tonelux bussing.... Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Tonelux bussing....

I'm looking into the Tonelux system. I'm going to start with a single frame, but plan to expand in the future. I want to make sure I understand the system as a whole, as I don't want to get any modules that I will end up not using when I expand. My goal is a system with multiple subgroups. I'm not sure how the bus selection module works. Would I need a TR8 for every module that I want a selectable bus on? Also, if I have 8 SM1s summing to an SM2, how is stereo handled? Is there a way to externally assign an SM1 to the left or right bus of the master SM2?

thanks
Old 27th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzleboy
I'm looking into the Tonelux system. I'm going to start with a single frame, but plan to expand in the future. I want to make sure I understand the system as a whole, as I don't want to get any modules that I will end up not using when I expand. My goal is a system with multiple subgroups. I'm not sure how the bus selection module works. Would I need a TR8 for every module that I want a selectable bus on? Also, if I have 8 SM1s summing to an SM2, how is stereo handled? Is there a way to externally assign an SM1 to the left or right bus of the master SM2?

thanks
Thew TR8 is a sep. module that can be patched into, so you only need as many as you will need busses. You will need 8 TR8+ then the rest can be TR8s.

You can also assign inside the module any of the 16 available busses, so you can have 8 modules and 8 more and they are not on the same busses.

You don't want 8 SM1s. The SM1 is half of the SM2 and is used for surround center or LFE.
Old 27th June 2006
GJS
Gear Nut

We just finished putting together a complete Tonelux system, 24 channel console with 12 channels of mic pres and eq tracking into a Radar V-Nyquist. This system smokes. There is a patch bay called a "mini shorti" (check it out here: http://www.patchbays.com/Shorti_DB25.htm) where you just connect DB25-DB25 from the Tonelux vrack into the patchbay ... label the bay, and you're done, it is really kind of amazing. No soldering heh

I'd factor the shorti into your solution. This think is easy, exapandable, and sounds KILLER.stike stike stike

I'll post something next week for those who are interested on the unit as a whole. It is an amazing, amazing thing. If anyone's in NYC, and wants to see the unit in action, we're recording a live Kristin Diable show at The Living Room tonight and tomorrow night (Tuesday 27 June and Wednesday 28 June).
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJS
I'll post something next week for those who are interested on the unit as a whole. It is an amazing, amazing thing.

Hell Yes it is..I'll be posting soon too!

Paul..I'm gonna want a LOT more of thes EQ's!!heh

And the mic pre is killer!thumbsup thumbsup
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Already have a Shorti patch bay...expensive, but rock solid and super easy setup.

Anyway...to Paul:

The reason I mention using the SM1s for the buss is that I would like a switchable insert on each buss. My goal is to have 4 stereo busses which can each have a switchable stereo inserts. I guess I could use 4 SM2 modules. Is this a possibility?
Old 27th June 2006
I ordered my starter rig 2 weeks or so back, I hear it is still going to take a month or more to come in. Paul must be pretty busy over there.... I am not good at waiting but I think it will be worth it. Can't freak'n wait.

Old 27th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
Paul must be pretty busy over there.... I am not good at waiting but I think it will be worth it. Can't freak'n wait.

It's worth the waitheh thumbsup
Old 27th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge

And the mic pre is killer!thumbsup thumbsup
I told you that the mic pres are like DRUGS....

We are in the process of getting our next HUGE run of modules in, (125 EQs, 500 MX2s, 50 Vracks, 50 PSUs) The delay, like so many others has been RoHS compliance. We are past that now and things are starting to come in. We were caught a bit with our pants down with orders.

I really didn't think so many people would want full consoles! Just glad we can spread the love...

By the way, I am in the car, (wife driving...) doing 65 on the PA Turnpike with my Treo and G4 laptop, keeping the 'Slutz in the loop.... on the internet. Ya gotta love technology. Off to a cabin on the beach for a week. Nothing to ship, so what the hell...

Next on the horizon:

TR8 buss assign module (out for first run)
TB module
4 channel meter module (90 days)thumbsup
2 channel mic pre/AtoD in 1U, manual
8 channel mic pre/AtoD in 1U, remote controlled (pure sex...)
48 channel mic pre/AtoD in 4U, remote controlled (even purer...)
3 slot rack, horizontal format
2 bus compressorstike
Old 27th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge

And the mic pre is killer!

We are in the process of getting our next HUGE run of modules in, (125 EQs, 500 MX2s, 50 Vracks, 50 PSUs) The delay, like so many others has been RoHS compliance. We are past that now and things are starting to come in. We were caught a bit with our pants down with orders.

I really didn't think so many people would want full consoles! Just glad we can spread the love...

By the way, I am in the car, (wife driving...) doing 65 on the PA Turnpike with my Treo and G4 laptop, keeping the 'Slutz in the loop.... on the internet. Ya gotta love technology. Off to a cabin on the beach for a week. Nothing to ship, so what the hell...

Next on the horizon:

TB module
2 bus compressorstike
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

So good he had to say it twice!
Old 28th June 2006
Gear Addict

Paul,

Any love for the API 500 format?
Old 28th June 2006
Gear Guru

Count me in for a bunch of eq's....
then tr8's..pre's..
.. single channel comps would be cool too[Mr Derr?]..thumbsup
Old 28th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux

Next on the horizon:

TB module
2 bus compressorstike

Hey Paul is the automation package(Shadow Mix) available yet and since it uses DAW for the automation can you use it in banks of 8 or do you have to have an automated fader to control each MX2, FX2,aux send, group send, etc..?

Also is their a design or schematic for the console skeleton that's on your website?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search