The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Male Vocal tracking and mixing it in
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Addict

Male Vocal tracking and mixing it in

Imagine a magical aladdin type of orchestration with a pop style male vocal, tempo around 58..The singer is a great one, great voice, knows when to get closer vice versa..etc.

1) I need to track this kind of vocals, first of all I have is an nt1a and a firewire 410. Is it daydreaming to think i can get quality results from this mic/preamp duo?

2) I don't have a great live room, is it better in my case if i dampen a very broad band of frequencies including low (150, 200 hz) and add reverb afterwards?

3)Plate or a hall program for this type of vocals? The rest of the instruments are things like string sections, timpani, harp, pads etc with hall verb from kontakt 2's VSL with convol. rev.]

Thanks a lot for reading in advance!

Emre
Old 25th June 2006
Deleted User
If he's a great vocalist, he will sound great with a 58. Use a hall verb, a plate verb... both maybe... try to make the vocal verb close to the verb on everything else.

Watch your headroom, great vocalists usually have a huge dynamic range. That might be the trick, getting his voice to sit in the mix volume wise. Just use a great comp plugin, like an la2a or something. Something with good automatic attack and release times.
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

NT1a will do it well enough. The pre I have no experience of. The NT1a has a very good dynamic range and excellent noise figures. It has a good sound quality to it.

I recommend getting the singer up close and personnel. That way very little room reflections will be on the vocal recording.

Record at 24bit so you have the headroom and possible patch in a compressor, but only if it does not degrade the sound.

There is little chance of overloading that mic - again it's the pre's that may let this down and the AD/DA.

Paul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search