The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can anyone identify this synth? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th August 2012
Gear interested

Can anyone identify this synth? (Update: It's Sufjan Stevens' Microkorg)

Hi! I'm new here, so I apologise if this is the wrong section to post.

I'd like to know if anyone is able to identify the synth(?) in this photo? It's a screen cap from an accidentally-taken blurry video so I apologise for the poor quality, but I'm sure one of you will be able to identify it in a split-second. It may belong to Sufjan Stevens and I think he's quite fond of Dave Smith instruments.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hugtheorb; 16th August 2012 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Mystery solved!
Old 14th August 2012
Gear interested

To a moderator: could this be moved to the Electronic Music Instruments section as I think it would fare better over there, and I don't want to double post.

To add to my original post, I'm almost certain this is Sufjan's, but I don't think it's a DSI. I thought it might be his Prophet 08 at first but the ports don't seem to match up.

By the way, this is purely out of curiosity. I'm not going to get gear just because my favourite musicians have it. If I did that I'd be in a lot of debt

Thanks!
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

Looks like it's just a humble Microkorg. The mic clip in the middle is a bit of a giveaway...

Old 16th August 2012
Gear interested

Ah, that's definitely it! And such a popular synth, too! As you can see I'm not much of a "gear slut" since it's so obvious from the rear photo! Hopefully I'm still welcome here heh

So it's certainly Sufjan's and would have been used for his vocoder parts in the live Planetarium performances with Bryce Dessner and Nico Muhly if anyone is curious.

Thank you
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search