The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Q for 500 series/lunchbox owners. Rack mount or lunchbox? 500 Series Preamps
Old 22nd June 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Q for 500 series/lunchbox owners. Rack mount or lunchbox?

I am in the process of recieving some 500 series modules and have decided upon the Averill racks. Just wondering if I should go for the lunchbox or the 6 space rackmount?

I know this is a stupid question and I was just about to order the lunchbox and thought it might be a pain in the ass after a while, and would have I been better off with the rackmount version.

I don't move gear around too much and rack space is not an issue. Just wondering if any of you wish you went with the rack mount over the box or vice versa? Thanks.
Old 22nd June 2006
  #2
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

i would say the rack if you are not planing to move things around.
their is so much cool gear here and coming that six spaces will not be enough.
Old 22nd June 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
i would say the rack if you are not planing to move things around.
their is so much cool gear here and coming that six spaces will not be enough.
I know but the spending madness has to stop soon and after my pair of GAMA's show up I'm done with buying pres (two more GAMA's soon but that's it, I promise ) so I figure a pair of API 550b EQ's and I'm done.

Well that's one vote for rack mount.
Old 22nd June 2006
  #4
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

i have the gama it rocks i think you will love them.
you got to get the A-Designs P-1 i really really really sweet, it has a very forward sound that i love.
their will be some very cool eq's coming this fall, and you will want to check them out.
once you are in their can be no stopping! heh
Old 23rd June 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Steamy Williams's Avatar
 

The Brent Averill lunchbox and rackmount are the same thing but with different side panels. However, you can be change these over at anytime. Just order the lunchbox and pay the extra $30 for the additional rack ears and you can have it either way, whenever it suits you.

I have a BAE lunchbox in mint condition for sale with the optional rack ears, as I now have an 11 space rack instead, but that's probably not much use to you given that I'm based in Scotland.
Old 23rd June 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Rob King's Avatar
I was just dealing with this isue for 2 weeks myself and went for the API 6 space lunchbox over the rack. Reason, I could just get another lunchbox down the road, easy to take around with me (remote, studio) and I didn't want to deal with the weight and size of an additional power supply. That is why I finally went for the lunchbox. We all have our needs.........


Rob
Old 23rd June 2006
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Steamy Williams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King
I was just dealing with this isue for 2 weeks myself and went for the API 6 space lunchbox over the rack. Reason, I could just get another lunchbox down the road, easy to take around with me (remote, studio) and I didn't want to deal with the weight and size of an additional power supply. That is why I finally went for the lunchbox. We all have our needs.........


Rob
Yeah, Colin, that's a point to take into account with the BAE... the power supply is external, regardless of the model you choose.
Old 23rd June 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams
The Brent Averill lunchbox and rackmount are the same thing but with different side panels. However, you can be change these over at anytime. Just order the lunchbox and pay the extra $30 for the additional rack ears and you can have it either way, whenever it suits you.

I have a BAE lunchbox in mint condition for sale with the optional rack ears, as I now have an 11 space rack instead, but that's probably not much use to you given that I'm based in Scotland.
That is good news, I had no idea you could buy the rack ears for the Averill box at a later date. I figured I might get sick of the box after a while and wish I got the rackmount version.

I actually own the Averill power supply already, I bought it of a fellow really cheap so I just need the empty Averill lunchbox or rack. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Old 23rd June 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams
The Brent Averill lunchbox and rackmount are the same thing but with different side panels. However, you can be change these over at anytime. Just order the lunchbox and pay the extra $30 for the additional rack ears and you can have it either way, whenever it suits you.

I have a BAE lunchbox in mint condition for sale with the optional rack ears, as I now have an 11 space rack instead, but that's probably not much use to you given that I'm based in Scotland.
Just called Averill and they don't sell the ears seperately. They said there is just enough to supply the rack mounted versions only. Oh well, I guess it's decision time. I think I'll just flip a quarter.
Old 24th June 2006
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Just called Averill and they don't sell the ears seperately. They said there is just enough to supply the rack mounted versions only. Oh well, I guess it's decision time. I think I'll just flip a quarter.
I went through the same debate - ended up going API box over the BAE, just because the power supply is self-contained.

Ended up going lunchbox instead of rack because I may want the pres with me if I'm doing anything outside my studio or end up renting them out occasionally.
Old 24th June 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

I've always wondered if the external API power supply is superior to the lunchbox one.

A better power supply could certainly make a difference.
Old 25th June 2006
  #12
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Colin
Quote:
EQ/500 Series.............think Pultec gone solid state :>)
Attached Thumbnails
Q for 500 series/lunchbox owners. Rack mount or lunchbox?-peq.jpg  
Old 25th June 2006
  #13
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

estimated release of late this year?
Old 26th June 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
That kind of looks like an old Siemens EQ. I thought it was going to be easy to choose which 500 format EQ's to buy. I guess not.
Old 26th June 2006
  #15
Gear Addict
 
Temp Love's Avatar
 

Pay an extra $100 for the BIG BAE PSU and buy the lunchbox. You can then buy a rack mounted chassis later (either size!) and with the big PSU you can power both of them simultaneously. I bought the BAE lunchbox with the big supply after realising I kind of liked the idea of rackmounting later. This way you have potential for loads of channels and best of both worlds.
Old 20th October 2008
  #16
Gear interested
 

does anyone have the purple sweet ten and if so, would they like to comment on their thoughts?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Mark Warren / So much gear, so little time
407
APK / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
claudemorrow / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
drumdude / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump