The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ayotte Drums - Thoughts and experiences?
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

forget Ayotte. I have a GMS kit in here and a drummer that used to have an old Ayotte kit said he thought the GMS was similar to Ayotte but to his ears better. Check em ouut if you can before you jump in.

Special shells.
Old 27th June 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick

Special shells.
They use Keller, just like everyone else, although GMS did say they were specially made for them by keller, what ever that means. GMS was a very close second for me when deciding what kit to buy, but my local dealer could not get them. They do however, make really fantastic drum kits.
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Yes. GMS has different ply/thickness that is made especially for them. They are amazing a record fantastically. I first heard them tracking Nir Z on one of his kits. I had a Ludwig Duco finish kit from the early 60 that had what I would call great breath but old drum funk. The GMS to my ears keep the breath or vibrancy of old drums but have a bit more solidity to them - perhaps thats just the bearing edge issue. Many modern drums are too slick sounding to my ears or too "hard" sounding, without breath. That maybe a birch vs. maple thing. Mine are maple and don't have the scooped lower mids of birch, which also have a much stronger note in their sound. At the end of the day the kit I got sounds the way I want drums to sound.
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Most of these high end, boutique drum manufacturers are pretty much getting their shells made at the same place and simply buying them, putting their own hardware on, finsihing the drum ect...
Back when he was still in charge, Ray Ayotte stated that, although Ayotte does not make its own shells, the shells are made according to his specs. I specifically remember him saying the plies were cut from around the trunk, so they were already round and required as little bending as possible. I have no idea if other shells are made that way or not, but I don't see why they wouldn't be. However, I seem to remember that Ayotte shells use thinner plies than DW, with a different ply configuration for the reinforcing hoops. Also, 6"-10" Ayotte shells have a diferent ply configuration than the larger shells (5-ply instead of 6). I remember DW used to use 6-ply all the way through, not sure about now though.

I have to agree that the Ayotte tom mounts aren't that great. The thing is, RIMS-type mounts may be wobbly, but it's that wobbliness that keeps the mount from choking the sound of the drum. I have found there to be a significant difference in sound quality between hitting an unmounted tom and a mounted one, especially if it's mounted lower on the L-rod (gotta mount it at the very end). I didn't get my Ayotte kit with RIMS mounts, and I kind of regret it.

However, the drums do sound fantastic. My teacher has a really nice set of DWs with an exotic wood finish and all that, and he thought my Ayottes sounded better. They are finicky when it comes to tuning, however. I think it's because of the wood hoops. My el cheapo Pearl Exports are easier to tune up than my Ayottes. And their quality of craftsmanship and attention to detail are second to none. A couple of very minor examples of that: 1) all their Phillips screws are aligned to show a + ; 2) the air vent grommet is held in place purely by friction - if it ever needs to be cleaned, it can be removed with a rubber mallet. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but when I'm paying top dollar for something, no detail is too small.

Keep in mind when comparing Ayotte drums to GMS that GMS shells are the exact opposite type (thick, no reinforcing hoops), so the sound of the drums will be fundamentally different. Sometimes it just comes down to whether you prefer the thin-shell sound or thick-shell sound.

If I didn't get Ayotte, I would have gotten Spaun or Noble & Cooley.
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hmmmm, I am not an expert so take this with a grain of salt, but it is my understanding that GMS are comparitively thin shelled drums, but that they are made with 8 very thin plys vs. 5 or 6 thicker plys. I think thats what they had keller do for them.
Old 27th June 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

That sounds about right. I called GMS and Ayotte when I was pondering which kit to get and most manufacturers seem to use keller or get keller to make shells to their specs. I guess I should have been a bit more specific when I talked about that.

I was basically aiming towards the point of being that high end drum companies using keller shells will ultimately make a good product since Keller is a very good shell maker. Comments about company "X" sucking and Company "Y" is better ect. dont add up to much, if the heart of the drum is basically from the same supplier. They will all sound good, it is just the little things that each company offers is what will sway one's purchasing decision.
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thats true, their mounts do look great. But, I still think that they sound like crap. I couldn't tune a good sound into them, but when I took them off the stands I couldn't make them sound bad. The difference was like 2-3 seconds of decay time.

I think the Rims system still sounds best, even though its clunky. I would rather have it sound good though. But hey, not knocking the quality of the Ayottes. They make my ABSLOUTE favorite wood snares. Amazing. And they are better than GMS by quite a ways.
Old 28th June 2006
Gear Head

GMS shells aren't super-thick a la Pearl CZX (aka Custom Z) or Sonor, but they're definitely thicker than the likes of Ayotte and DW. They're probably along the same lines as Yamaha. They sort of explain their shell philosophy on their website. I was probably wrong to say their shells are thick...I meant thicker in comparison to the Ayotte/DW-type shells.

I agree, I'm sure every "custom" drum manufacturer that gets its shells from Keller has a good product. It's just finding the shell composition and combination of features that you like best. I've played many different pro-quality drum sets, and I can't say any of them really sucked (maybe except for Peavey, heh). I just happen to prefer some to others.
Old 13th July 2006
Here for the gear

Ayotte wood hoops drums with Rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Good point. Matt Cameron played Ayotte on most the last couple of Soundgarden albums and the Tragically Hip drummer uses Ayotte so check out some of their drum tones. The wood hoops give it that *brown* sound Jay was speaking of. I am not sure if the Velvet series uses wood or metal hoops.

Has anybody had any problems with putting Rims(alloy) mounts on Ayotte wood hoop toms? Because of the claw-is there any detuning-Does it lift the claw at all?

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Robin(Borg0
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Are you talking about metal hoops, or rims mounts? 2 different things. Neither should be a problem.
Old 13th January 2010
Gear Head

Are Ayotte drums still as good as they used to be?

what would be the years to avoid?

there is a snare drum available near me that has a "drum smith" logo on it that is being sold as an Ayotte.

What about Taye drums?
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

There's a drummer in these parts that plays an Ayotte. The set must be about 20 years old. I've recorded him on about 8 albums. My buddy used to do a ton of work with him (which then got into my hands in some fashion).
I always loved the tone of that kit. Very woody as some have said.

After the last tracking session I did with him, he commented on how "open" I made his drums sound. I always go for a more ambient mic'ing with the Ayotte's. I also like brighter sounding mics on snares & toms. The sm57/421 thing is not for me.
Old 14th January 2010
Gear Addict

I have a 4 piece Ayotte RND (the cheaper but still $2000 mind you)... Love the tone, hate the hardware. First off, the rack-tom rack brace/port on the kick wobbles a little and is not sturdy. In addition to that, the shell bolts in the floor tom always seem to rattle loose and fall out. I would imagine the velvet series wouldn't have these problems.
Old 14th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray View Post
I wonder if anyone's had the chance ....
I really love the Ayott's as played by a great drummer in my area.. I definitely have recorded other great drummers on other great kits as well. I would imagine the Ayott will suit a certain personality; an extension of the drummer. I would recommend to research other drummers who endorse or use Ayott and see if you can identify with one of them...
Old 24th December 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendondp View Post
Hi Matthew,

Unfortunately I can't comment on the Velvet series, having never heard or played one.

However, a friend of mine has a couple of kits - Ludwig, Gretsch, Pearl Custom, etc - and also has an Ayotte kit. He never uses it, either live or in the studio, simply because the Ludwigs, Gretschs and his Pearl kit simply nail whatever tone he's looking for whatever the circumstances call for.

When I questioned his non-use of the Ayotte's it simply came down to the amount of resonance they produce, and the fact that he found them more finicky than his other kits. The Ludwigs and Gretschs get used in the studio, and the Pearl goes on the road. The Ayotte however, stays in the road cases.

Bit of a shame, but when you play for a living you gotta go with what works.

Cheers to you,

bdp
That is the most silly reply I have ever read ......Ayotte Custom Kits sound and play much better than any of those kits ........ I have owed Yamaha 9000 and Maple Custom series, Gretch, Ludwig, and Pearl and trust me Ayotte piss all over them in Tone and how melodic the drums sound.

They sound unbelievable through a large PA and when other drummers sit being my kit they just melt away in envy ......It is like sitting in a Roll Royce ...Everything is just so easy and the sound makes one want to play
Old 24th December 2011
Here for the gear

There is a clip on YouTube with Vinnie playing a Ayotte Snare
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Maniac

I like Ayaotte as well...when sitting at them...recording them could be a VERY different animal...and I think that is what the post was about

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search