The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avedis MA5 transformer saturation?
Old 5th August 2012
Lives for gear
Avedis MA5 transformer saturation?

Hi I ran my tube DI into the MA5 using the avedis pad. Having the MA5 on unity 35 and 0. Then I changed and switched to 40 on the Avedis and trimmed down the output a bit. I can really hear a difference. in the 40 setting it gets more muddy, less clear/clean notes, kinda smoother/thicker. How come?

Will the 40+ setting on the input add more muddiness in general? I have used the MA5 on many sources but never noticed this before.

How do you guys use the Ma5. turn the input till its a little hot and then trim the output down, or set the output trim lower and add more input gain?
thanks
Old 5th August 2012
Gear Addict

of course it saturates!
higher input equals more saturation while setting the output accordingly to avoid clipping the AD or other gear in the chain.
Old 5th August 2012
Lives for gear
my guess is the muddyness is coming from your tube DI and not the ma-5. your di will have a noise floor, could be you are hearing that amplified through the ma-5 but i'm guessing here.

can't say i would describe the ma-5 as muddy even at high gain.
Old 5th August 2012
Lives for gear
Thanks. forgot to say I run then into a distressor 4:1, I guess something happens in that chain with high input on the MA5. the tube DI is very clean. thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search