The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone have Andy Wallace mix info?
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Head

anyone have Andy Wallace mix info?

just curious if there are any interviews out there (other than the one in Mix a few months ago), and/or if anyone knew any of his tricks/settings, etc?

thanks
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monet
just curious if there are any interviews out there (other than the one in Mix a few months ago), and/or if anyone knew any of his tricks/settings, etc?
Well, I guess one of his 'tricks' is to just mix everyday for about 15-20 years and improve your skills. As far as I know, Any Wallace is known for using very little outboard gear and is obsessive about riding individual tracks in the mix for maximum impact/dynamics.

In his excellent book 'Mixing with your mind' Mike Stavrou talks about a concept he calls 'maximum impact with minimal voltage' and I think that's exactly what Andy Wallace is doing. His mixes have tremendous power and impact but it's never just about being loud.
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Interesting Andi...
Old 20th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael
Quote:
The Pro Tools thing is a mixed blessing. The younger guys who have never had to cut tape or edit by bouncing on analog have a different perspective and are more easily caught up in over-editing. Not so much to the detriment of the material, although that can certainly happen, but just taking up too much time. Editing stuff to a degree that doesn't matter. You're never going to hear it.
very true...
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

what's his attack tme on the ssl bus compressor? auto-release at 4:1 ratio hitting 4 to 8 db of compression is great, but what's the attack time?? makes a huge difference....
Old 20th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by travista00
what's his attack tme on the ssl bus compressor? auto-release at 4:1 ratio hitting 4 to 8 db of compression is great, but what's the attack time?? makes a huge difference....
probably varies... you only have about 4 choices.. how hard could it be?
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just re-read that article, very interesting. He talks about compressing the mix quite a bit to prevent damage from the compression applied by the radio stations.

That's interesting because often we hear the 'don't double-compress' theory meaning that the radio compression will take the mix compression 'over the edge', so to say.

I guess it's all about knowing what you do.
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I googled "Advanced Alternative Media" and "Advanced Alternative Media Management" (as well as adding more keywords to this search) -- does anybody have info about this mgmt company (mentioned as AW's mgmt)?
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Wow, very interesting article, thanks !

On GRACE are some of my favourite drum sounds !
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

GRACE drum sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman
Ditto...along with Tool's 'Aenima'

I feel the 3 dimensional drum sounds that Bottrill elicited from Carey's work are missing on 10,000 Days.

Granted, Barressi's work sounds amazing with TOOL. I'm just not sure tracking Carey's drums through the API vs. the Neve really worked for maximizing 3 dimensional spaciousness.
Course they could have just been preferring that heavy attack sound....

sorry for the rambling

& Yeah Wallace kicks major mixing ass! Love that hotdog flavored water..nice job on the tracking
Old 21st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano
I googled "Advanced Alternative Media" and "Advanced Alternative Media Management" (as well as adding more keywords to this search) -- does anybody have info about this mgmt company (mentioned as AW's mgmt)?

His manager's name is Andy too
Old 21st June 2006
Led
Lives for gear

How's the photo - Drill seargant Wallace from mixing boot camp - "Hit that compressor like ya got a pair you snotty nosed momma's boy"
Old 21st June 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman
Wow, very interesting article, thanks !

I have to say the drum sounds on Sketches (everybody here wants you) are awesome as well.
Old 21st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led
I have to say the drum sounds on Sketches (everybody here wants you) are awesome as well.
Most of those were with Tom Verlane at the producer's desk.
Old 21st June 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Yeah, I checked out a bit of his stuff from over the years after I saw the credits.

Old 21st June 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led
Some of my favorite!

"Witches Rave" tom sounds...butter.
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear

Andy Wallace is good and all. But he doesn't make a lick of difference if his stuff isn't recorded correctly by other people

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search