The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Power Conditioner in home studio
Old 17th June 2006
  #1
Gear Head
 

Power Conditioner in home studio

Hi,

newbie to the forums here. newbie to professional audio gear as well. Can anyone tell me if a Monster MP PRO 3500 is a justified purchase for a home based studio that's just starting to upgrade to higher end gear? i like what i read about noise filtering and hum elimination and also the three stage sequenced AC power turn on and off.
any suggestions and/or feedback welcome. thanks !

Old 17th June 2006
  #2
Gear Addict
 

I'm using Equi=tech.
No studio should be without power conditioning.

Regards,
Old 18th June 2006
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Mark Cattano's Avatar
 

No studio should be without power conditioning.What he said...

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano
Old 19th June 2006
  #4
Gear Head
 

yes, but in the light of the fact that i can't spend that amount of money right now for a Son of Q unit...what is a temporary solution? will a $300 Monster unit do the basic thing of keeping my gear safe from the evil gods of electricity? thanks for your responses.
Old 19th June 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Albert's Avatar
 

That Monster unit looks like a basic surge protection and filtering unit, not an actual power conditioner. So in that respect it will probably protect your gear from surges and spikes, but it won't recondition the power. It's basically a very expensive power strip.

I use a Furman AR-15 II voltage regulator and Equi-Tech balanced power unit in my studio and I do feel those have both made a difference. Having proper surge protection is also important, but I don't think you will get the subtle sonic benefits that true power conditioning can give you.

So the answer is yes, you should protect your gear. But the real power conditioning units are not going to cost you $300, they will be more expensive than that.
Old 19th June 2006
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Diablo's Avatar
 

I use a Monster 350 in my home studio and I like it. The power coming into the house is pretty clean in my area, so it really didn't affect the sound, but I love the three stage power up and power down. Very nice for preventing speaker pop. I don't use it with the Pro Tools computer since I keep that in a different part of the house.
Old 19th June 2006
  #7
nek
Gear Maniac
 
nek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crna59
No studio should be without power conditioning.
I agree, but...

I have a Monster Power PRO 3500 and I feel that I got rip off. I bought it before I really understood anything about power conditioners.

Next time I go to buy a power conditioner, I think I am going to buy a Furman AR-15. It looks like a good unit and people on here seam to like it.

The Equi=tech stuff is also VERY nice from what I hear.

My Two Cents.
Old 19th June 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
is it needed?

You may be lucky enough to live in a place with pretty-clean electrical service and low RFI/EMI. You can't tell by licking your finger and holding it out.

Most major cities will have a power monitoring service that can give you a measured result of what is coming out of your sockets. At least you will know how much to spend on the problem, if there is one.

Any electrical power "conditioner" claiming 15A service that I can lift by myself without a dolly is a toy. Having extra sockets with a switch is convenient, though.

If you look and ask around, you will find what you need at a few pennies on the original retail dollar (excellent heavy-duty high-current industrial devices for the price of GC power strips). A machine room is good, because regulating transformers hum and buzz, while putting out some heat.

BTW, most of the noise you hear attached to program is not power or power-supply related. Most is from audio inputs. Surf over to the Jensen Transformers site and educate thyself for cheap.
Old 19th June 2006
  #9
Gear Head
 

Monster Pro3500

The Monster Power unit does condition. As well as the fact that it has individual
isolated filter banks that are designed specifically for different types of gear.
High Current, Analog, and Digital. Plus, take a lok at the joule rating compared
to any similar Furman Product..... I think Monster did this one right....
Old 19th June 2006
  #10
Lives for gear
 

is there a real difference between the furman AR-1215 $480 and the AR-15 $580

i was planning to get the AR-1215 but if the AR-15 is worth the extra price i will get that.

by the way this would just be for a large home studio.
Old 3rd February 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
In a home studio with a computer, some Portico and Manley gear, how will a power conditioner help in a studio like mine? I know it helps keep the power consistant but is there anyway to confirm how much of a drop out I am currently getting in my power from my electric company? What difference will it actually make in my studio. Equitech Son of Q Jr. Balanced Power System | VintageKing.com
Old 4th February 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
bump
Old 7th July 2011
  #13
I actually purchased two Monster Power 1800 boxes for my studio that have 8 outlets each. I really should have done this a couple of years ago. I just was never sure how much of a difference it would make. Well, I have to tell you when playing back music in my studio, I hear a little more depth to my monitors that really made me quite happy. Of course it's just not the computer, and the monitors going through this power conditioner, but also my pre's, channel strips, Presonus Central Station, Mackie Controllers, etc. The Filter 2 stage it has cleans the electricity and improves the overall sound.

I highly recommend trying out a power conditioner for your studio. You don't have to pay over $1,000 for the high end one's to make a difference. I spent about $600 in my studio and the difference is quite nice. There seems to be a little more detail as well as depth. Not to mention, it protects your gear against spikes and helps even things out with the current. I am sure the higher end one's will be a little better, but the Monster did improve things in my studio...for the better. The depth of my Focal Twins have improved about 7-10%.
Old 7th July 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
Power Conditioner in home studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by instrumental
The Monster Power unit does condition. As well as the fact that it has individual
isolated filter banks that are designed specifically for different types of gear.
High Current, Analog, and Digital. Plus, take a lok at the joule rating compared
to any similar Furman Product..... I think Monster did this one right....
What is the "isolation" on those "circuits"? How many dB and at what frequency? I think you'll find that it's only at radio frequencies. Which are already filtered by the power supplies of your gear.
Old 7th July 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I actually purchased two Monster Power 1800 boxes for my studio that have 8 outlets each. I really should have done this a couple of years ago. I just was never sure how much of a difference it would make. Well, I have to tell you when playing back music in my studio, I hear a little more depth to my monitors that really made me quite happy. Of course it's just not the computer, and the monitors going through this power conditioner, but also my pre's, channel strips, Presonus Central Station, Mackie Controllers, etc. The Filter 2 stage it has cleans the electricity and improves the overall sound.

I highly recommend trying out a power conditioner for your studio. You don't have to pay over $1,000 for the high end one's to make a difference. I spent about $600 in my studio and the difference is quite nice. There seems to be a little more detail as well as depth. Not to mention, it protects your gear against spikes and helps even things out with the current. I am sure the higher end one's will be a little better, but the Monster did improve things in my studio...for the better. The depth of my Focal Twins have improved about 7-10%.
Isnt that for HDTV's stuff? Does it matter? thats what Im trying to fiqure out. They market power center's for music separately from HDTV theater center stuff. But does it really make a difference?
Old 7th July 2011
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmusic View Post
Isnt that for HDTV's stuff? Does it matter? thats what Im trying to fiqure out. They market power center's for music separately from HDTV theater center stuff. But does it really make a difference?
All I know is my Focal Twins have a little more depth and clarity than they did before. It filters and cleans the electricity and protects my gear. I'm good. Personally I think its the marketing at Monster that is pushing people to know get it for their home 5.1's but it really is the same thing as what is used in studios. Granted if I had a pro studio I would no hesitate to purchase a
EQUITECH power conditioner which would cost over $1,500. But for my home studio that has a lot less gear, the Furman or the Monster will fit the bill.
Old 30th January 2017
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Conditioner is a somewhat nebulous term --- the most robust 'technical power' solution is to have an online double-conversion UPS (these are the enterprise level UPSs that are immediately rectifying the AC from the wall to DC to charge the batteries and then invert/regenerate 'brand new AC'---The flucuations of input voltage have little to no effect on the output voltage. The output of the online ups is connected to an ultra-isolation transformer (this makes your setup more or less impervious to ground loops since you now have a 'floating ground'. If even more regulation is needed you would connect an automatic voltage regulator which is a variac based piece of hardware that will keep voltage within a quarter of a percent of where you have it set. Of course all lighting in a studio should use transformer based (variac) dimming solutions as they are the only ones that do not produce acoustic noise and inject electrical noise on the line.

When we build the back-end power for a studio we usually use a 240V double-conversion UPS that is connected to to step-down ultra-isolation transformer (input 240v output 120v floating ground power) --

most 'power conditioners' are overpriced and glorified power strips that do not provide any true regulation
Old 30th January 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Wyllys's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THISGUYIKNOW View Post
Conditioner is a somewhat nebulous term --- the most robust 'technical power' solution is to have an online double-conversion UPS (these are the enterprise level UPSs that are immediately rectifying the AC from the wall to DC to charge the batteries and then invert/regenerate 'brand new AC'---The flucuations of input voltage have little to no effect on the output voltage. The output of the online ups is connected to an ultra-isolation transformer (this makes your setup more or less impervious to ground loops since you now have a 'floating ground'. If even more regulation is needed you would connect an automatic voltage regulator which is a variac based piece of hardware that will keep voltage within a quarter of a percent of where you have it set. Of course all lighting in a studio should use transformer based (variac) dimming solutions as they are the only ones that do not produce acoustic noise and inject electrical noise on the line.

When we build the back-end power for a studio we usually use a 240V double-conversion UPS that is connected to to step-down ultra-isolation transformer (input 240v output 120v floating ground power) --

most 'power conditioners' are overpriced and glorified power strips that do not provide any true regulation
This is the straight, unvarnished truth.
Old 31st January 2017
  #19
Lives for gear
To me there are two major levels of power supply. You have the surge protection and suppression stuff, then there is voltage regulation.

To really regulate the voltage it takes a heavy unit w/ a battery where it converters the voltage from AC to AD back to AC. Then you know you get 118.5 volts.

The first level of testing is having a wall socket tester. Use only grounded outlets.

The next level of testing I did w/ Furmam unit that had a voltage meter. Once I found that incoming voltage was dropping near 110. I had to get the regulator.

My current chain is: Voltage regulator, power factor (Burst of amps for speakers, preamps, etc..), then into surge protectors that distribute between 50 pieces of gear.

The UPS is yet another set of stuff. Nice to have for the PC.
I have only found one box that does everything and fit's in a single rack space. It's a $750 furman unit. I went cheap, and got everything separate and take up 3 rack space + a wedge, but was about $600. and I don't have a ups. I should get one.
Old 14th September 2017
  #20
Here for the gear
 

only double conversion 'on-line' UPS's regenerate new power --
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump