The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Here's a good Subwoofer, good sound & price
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Here's a good Subwoofer, good sound & price

Threads keep popping up asking about subwoofers. Here is one I got recently that is reasonably priced, smaller than a bulldozer, and sounds great with music.

Hsu STF-1, $269

Lots of rave reviews around for Hsu products over the years, real engineering in these. This little STF-1 is just stunning. 106 dB at 31 Hz. 150 watt amp. Will play *cleanly* to 25 Hz. And it's not just thump, it is very tight and musical throughout its range -- I've owned and used lots of subs that can sound ok for movie sound effects, but often sloppy and annoying with music.

The STF-1 has a very effective variable crossover that spans 30 to 90 Hz. And with a 24 dB/octave rolloff, super easy to match to monitors without hot spots or dropouts. I'm running it with PMC TB2, which already have exceptional bass sound. But I wanted some reference for < 40 or 50 Hz, where the TB2 starts to drop off. STF-1 lets me hear foot stomps, breath pops, truck rumble, etc. and also fills out the low end of music very smoothly.

Anyway, I don't have any connection to Hsu, just FYI from my experience. They make a wide range of subs, this is the smallest. 30 day trial period. Worth checking if you are looking for a subwoofer for mixing.

Steve
Old 10th August 2007
I'm just learning about subs, because I'm switching over from Mackie HR 824s to Adam A7s. I've also been learning about home stereo equipment (been souping up my record player set-up at the same time). Athough both stereo equipment and mixing equipment have the rough goal of flat response throughout the audible spectrum, I've noticed especially "nice" sounding stuff is useless for mixing/tracking.

I was wondering if you've been using this in a control room that has been treated and adjusted for somewhat flat response. I'm not trying to say I don't appreciate the suggestion, but the idea of using something geared for the home stereo market in the studio is kinda scary. Maybe it's just because when I think of subs, I think of cars booming down the street. Sure I'd love to listen to music on my HR 824s, but I wouldn't track on my huge JBL stereo speakers that are in my room because a flat response for home stereo equipment isn't as important.

Do you have any tips on getting this subwoofer or another to work well with my room and my A7s? I'm planning on getting the matching Adam Sub8, but until then, how can I make this sub work?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search