The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
is a behr***er patch bay going to degrade my sound Patchbays
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec
When he dropped the Neutrik bays in (with the exact same wiring), there was no longer a problem.

at the risk of courting the obvious, was the offending patch bay balanced?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_delizza
I think you are thinking that I used a microphone, with which it would be impossible to capture silence. (especially in my noisy apartment!) heh

I noticed it while bouncing down individual tracks from one of my external sound modules. I had the outputs from the synth to the patchbay, and patched into my line inputs. When there were parts where the synth was not playing you could still see stuff being recorded. I tried removing the patch bay from the signal chain, and, what do you know! No more noise!

It is a very small amount and it hasn't been enough for me to replace my patchbay (although I will soon probably), but still, I'm sure you wouldn't have this problem with a Neutrik patchbay...
I don't want to defend Behringer but it can be that the patchby is sitting next to a trafo or something...

A passive patchbay can't possibly create noise in itself, or?

/Cojo
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec
When he dropped the Neutrik bays in (with the exact same wiring), there was no longer a problem.

-Aaron
He doesn't say that.
"It is a very small amount and it hasn't been enough for me to replace my patchbay (although I will soon probably), but still, I'm sure you wouldn't have this problem with a Neutrik patchbay..."

But it sounds like there is something wrong with the Behringer patchbay in any case.
I am not fan at all of Behringer gear- the one Behringer patchbay I have it rarely used.
As I said before- buy some TT bays second hand on ebay and get to soldering all your connections- it is wonderful to work this way and much more reliable.
If you only have a few connections then an XLR bay can be a convenient way to do it- it takes up more space but the connection is better and it simplifies your cable requirements. Bantam patch cables are expensive and difficult to solder.
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
at the risk of courting the obvious, was the offending patch bay balanced?

gregoire
del
ubk
I think they were balanced. My friend knows the difference. But, I've been accessory to dumber situations!
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've been pretty happy with the Samson S-Patch, but last week I did some testing and bypassed the bay completely. I was running GRNV, Phoenix DRS-2, TubeTech CL1b, etc through the bays. Bypassing the bay gave me a much cleaner and more present sound, just doing some quick vocal tests through a mic.

I was surprised at the difference....check yours and report back....

also, i'm using pretty decent converters (UA2192).

I should add that I was multing at the bay (half normalled) to monitor the outputs of the devices. just running straight signal THRU the connections didn't yield any real sonic degradation.
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojo
I
A passive patchbay can't possibly create noise in itself, or?

/Cojo
Yes it can. Due to lack of proper shieling, interferencies may be added on the signal path. Some amount of crosstalk between chanels is also introduced, etc.
For instance, Ghielmetti (swiss manufacture) gives crosstalk specs with their patchbays. In their product range, some of them have better crasstalk and S/N than others.

You won't use bad cables and low quality jacks, will you? So why the hell use bad quality patchbay between those good cables?!?
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzoing
Yes it can. Due to lack of proper shieling, interferencies may be added on the signal path. Some amount of crosstalk between chanels is also introduced, etc.
For instance, Ghielmetti (swiss manufacture) gives crosstalk specs with their patchbays. In their product range, some of them have better crasstalk and S/N than others.

You won't use bad cables and low quality jacks, will you? So why the hell use bad quality patchbay between those good cables?!?
Yeah, yeah... if you se it that whay. What I meant was that the unit itself don't produce any noise, certainly a bad shielded patchbay can pick up noise and hum. But I would be more concerned of the actual quality of the connections and how they fit together mechanicly.

/Cojo
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Addict

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. Had I read it 2 days ago I would not have gone through the last 48 hours of problems with my set up. I got a Behringer patchbay from my brother-n-law a couple of years ago and just now needed to starting using it. I hooked that up and had to turn the volume up 3 times as loud. After trying a bunch of stuff, the fix was to purchase the Neutrik and now everything is back to normal signal. This needs to be a sticky or something, because its seems this is a very common problem.

And if anyone needs to purchase one brand new from a distributor, there is one in Nashville, TN at this web address:

www.greendotaudio.com

Its posted on their site - $69.95! That's a great deal.

Scott
Old 14th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
i noticed massive signal degredation on using Behringer patchbays. wouldnt touch another if you paid me. you guys that think they are ok are deaf.
Same here... will not touch B stuff again...

/Matt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search