The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
POLL: WHO USES WHAT DAW? DAW Software
View Poll Results: WHO USES WHAT DAW?
Nuendo
50 Votes - 10.33%
Logic
74 Votes - 15.29%
Pro Tools
178 Votes - 36.78%
Performer
44 Votes - 9.09%
Cubase
69 Votes - 14.26%
Other
69 Votes - 14.26%
Voters: 484. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Interesting how Cubase & Nuendo % combined are almost neck and neck with PT huh? 33% - 29%. They're basically the same app so the poll probably should have been Nunedo/Cubase in the same category like Logic Pro vs some of the other versions.

Lawrence
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

ProFools since 1990.

Have spent as much $$ ITB as I have an cars, which is either impressive, or sad...given your position on cars. heh
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Sonar! Where's YOUR 64 bit mix engine?heh
Old 18th June 2006
I've been using Other since I put together my first 8 channel PC based DAW in 1996. It was one of the first serious multichannel audio soft DAW apps for Windows.

Over the ensuing decade, I've found Other to be a very reliable and usable platform. While there've been a few frustrations and a couple of delayed features, I've found Other has fairly nicely balanced new features with a relatively stable interface style; overall, I think they've had a pretty steady hand at deciding what works and what needs to be overhauled. Other has a well-deserved reputation, I think, for its efficient and straightforward workflow.

And Other has led the pack in a few areas, as well. It was the first major DAW to incorprate a well-integrated looping sub-environment, supplanting ACID in some folks minds as a premium loop environment. Other got out a fair bit in front of the pack with the introduction last year of a 64 bit audio engine (not to be confused with a version of Other compiled for 64 bit XP, also included for free in with the software.)

But... as I always say... everyone works differently, so there is no one DAW that's right for everyone, but, for me, I have no qualms or reticence in saying that I've always found Other to be a solid, reliable product that's served me well on perhaps 500 or 600 projects over ten years. I can even say that I've almost always looked forward to the yearly updates (and you're talkin' to a cheapskate who hates unnecessary change) mostly because they're fun and have new toys.

Everyone will have their own faves, but I say "Viva Other!"
Old 18th June 2006
tracking & editing - Nuendo
Mix - OTB
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Nut

Tracking,editing & mixing on a SADiE H64
Mastering on a SADiE PCM8
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Nut

Digital Performer and PT le
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
is logic 8 close in the pipeline?
The way I see it, Apple hassn't really released ANYTHING since they bought Logic. A few minor upgrades is all. Either they're due for a HUGE upgrade to compete with the other great DAWs out there (i.e a complete rewrite of the their prehistoric code), or they'll tank Logic and use it's parts for Final Cut Pro and Garage Band.

Just my two cents
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Sonar 5 here.... 64 bit mix engine.... .... sounds good.... it really doesn´t get the respect it deserves here in GS.. GReat midi integration, native VST support..... convolution reverb..... great value....
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Head

Hello.

I am using a Pro Tools Mix³ (Version 5.1.1) for tracking and mixing (through an AMEK Classic). Solid as a rock and nice sounding.
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music
The way I see it, Apple hassn't really released ANYTHING since they bought Logic. A few minor upgrades is all. Either they're due for a HUGE upgrade to compete with the other great DAWs out there (i.e a complete rewrite of the their prehistoric code), or they'll tank Logic and use it's parts for Final Cut Pro and Garage Band.

Just my two cents
So true! If they release 8, or whatever they will call it, we will know, but probably they just get along releasing 7.3, 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.4 etc...

Regards,

Roger
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

PT LE, investigating REAPER, but Pro Tools propably forever

I have also tried Nuendo, Cubase, Sonar... Pro Tools is the most intuitive tool for me
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Addict

Pro tools Hd2

I like the sound of samplitude

Nuendo/Cubase sounds good too

Logic a little dull for me

I think samplitude could take over in a few years if they make it easier to use and hit the mac.
Old 19th June 2006
rlg
Gear Maniac

Samplitude 8 for tracking and mixing.

And Tracktion, actually, for quick song sketches.
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Nut

PT 7.0
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

I find these results a little surprising. I thought more people were using Nuendo and Logic. And I didn't realize so many people were using other programs either. Very interesting.
Old 19th June 2006
Quote:
I find these results a little surprising. I thought more people were using Nuendo and Logic. And I didn't realize so many people were using other programs either. Very interesting.
I've seen a lot of these polls -- including a bunch here -- and they're often all over the map. And when you get to other BBs, the results vary even more.
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Cubase SX3 mostly these days, Sonar 5 Prod. if I'm working heavily with MIDI.

I agree, your list stinks.
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:

well, for some folks, apple loops was a pretty big deal. for me, delay comp on the buses was huge. but other than that, i'm with you, no big surprises yet.

if they tank logic, it'd be one of the worst decisions i've seen from a company that has been outdoing themselves with one good decision after another. logic has a huge installed user base and a slowly expanding new one, and neither fcp nor garageband replaces it. losing logic would cost them a lot of sales, and a good number of folks would migrate to a pc partly for the options and partly to bite back.

i think they're gonna skip straight to logic X, it has a nice ring.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Other!

[PARIS]
Old 20th June 2006
mds
Lives for gear

LA is a PT town, so I use PT a lot. Over the years I've used just about everything. My favs of the non-pro tools camp are Samplitude and Nuendo. Both extremely versatile and powerful as native systems. For sequencing I used cakewalk for years, but now its mostly Nuendo, DP, or occasionally logic.
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Nuendo 3. Tracking and mixing OTB.
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Radar -- > Sonar for edits and midi
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
well, for some folks, apple loops was a pretty big deal. for me, delay comp on the buses was huge. but other than that, i'm with you, no big surprises yet.

if they tank logic, it'd be one of the worst decisions i've seen from a company that has been outdoing themselves with one good decision after another. logic has a huge installed user base and a slowly expanding new one, and neither fcp nor garageband replaces it. losing logic would cost them a lot of sales, and a good number of folks would migrate to a pc partly for the options and partly to bite back.

i think they're gonna skip straight to logic X, it has a nice ring.

gregoire
del
ubk

I agree with you. I can see them coming out with a KILLER app. So many major motion pictures are editted on Final Cut, so Apple is more than capable of making killer apps.

And I don't feel Apple likes to lose at anything. So optimistically, they've been working on a whole new code and that's why there haven't been any big updates yet.

But I could be soooooooo dead wrong. I hope not

p.s. I heard a rumor they're trying to buy Steinberg. Anyone know about this?
Old 20th June 2006
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

PTle. I do almost all audio work, save for the B4 organ. Love PT for recording, editing. Had bad luck with another DAW stability wise, switched to PT and LOVE the reliability.

PC
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
With regards to Nuendo: Cubase costs significantly less and has 80-90% of the same functionality (and the same audio/mixing engine). Unless you need the Nuendo-only features, Cubase makes more sense for most people. I think that accounts for the relatively low Nuendo number when compared with Cubase.

I started using Cubase when VST32 5.1 came out. Ever SX release has gotten progressively better. I use Cubase SX3 for everything now and I'm very pleased with the product. It's extremely stable and the workflow makes perfect sense to me. Before Cubase, I used Cakewalk Pro Audio (briefly -- ugh) and, back in the day, SAW32 locked to Passport Master Tracks Pro!!! Whenever anyone complains about what a DAW can't do these days, I threaten them with stories of DAWs circa 1991 (the horror).

-Synth80s
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Head

Cubase and Nuendo, cause they are like sisters (cept one's hotter).

And I'm in LA, which is getting over being a PT town (i move between PT and Steiny stuff with projects all the time).

been with SX since day 1, and will be FOREVER!
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Soundscape 32 (x2) with mixpander here synced with Cubase SX.
Love Soundscape and Ive used others, Im kinds glad no-one cares for it because Im glad they dont know what they're missing:-)
Chymer
Old 24th June 2006
Lives for gear

Pro Tools primarily and Cubase a little bit. But I just bought Samplitude and I'm REALLY liking it so far.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search