The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
coleman tb4mk2? or SPL MTC 2381? Monitor Controllers
Old 15th June 2006
Here for the gear

coleman tb4mk2? or SPL MTC 2381?

i am dangerously close to buying a coleman tb4mk2.

can anyone tell me what the remote mic looks like? - no pics on any site i could find. also, can you control the talkback with a keyboard sustain pedal er something like that?

or should i buy a SPL MTC2381 instead?

thanks,
rufus
Old 16th June 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

The Coleman talk back mic kind of looks like a hockey puck. Works well. There is a external switch jack, beyond that, I've wired one up for use with a Brainstorm TB4 wireless remote switch quite easily by tieing into the pins on the pushbutton switch inside.
Old 16th June 2006
TML
Lives for gear

Dont get the SPL. It's defective junk like the Central Station. Unless you don't mind seding them intill you get "A Good One". I do this for a living so it matters to me. My 2 cents.
T
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

second on the SPL tutt

piece of crap!

we had one going up in smoke&fire !! (no kiddin.... )
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

My SPL is rock solid and beutifully designed. Does it's job(s) great and dependedly! I use it day in/day out and haven't had one single problem. Sounds transparent. All buttons work smooth and solid. Main volume knob is great too (detented).

Great addition to my commercial project studio!

Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Isn't it amazing how you get so many different opinions on the same piece of equipment. It never fails regardless of what equipment it is, mic pre, monitor controller, microphone, compressor whatever.

I have wondered about the spl unit for a while now and could probably search and find a thread with everyone praising how great this box is. I could also find one with everyone saying it's crap.

Just an observation.
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Addict

Coleman TB4

I have a Coleman TB4...not the MkII..the original black one. Not too sure what the differences are. I really like my unit. It's quiet, reliable, transparent...basically what you want and need in a Monitor Controller. The TB mic is like a mini hockey puck (2" dia.) that has 10ft cord on it. Plugs into a mini jack on the front of my unit. I modified the TB switch so I could connect a footswitch or some other kind of handheld switch (for clients in the control room) The mic works quite well. Thumbs up from me.
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Nut

I bought a used SPL MTC 2381 a few months ago and I haven't had any problems with it. It sounds good and its features suit my setup and workflow nicely. Perhaps I got lucky with "A Good One"?
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

I heard at least 2 different SPLs.....and their owners having problems with them...

the sound-degradation is not sooooo obvious, if you don´t turn them all the way down....

if you like it, buy it, use it......man, how many people, do I still see monitoring through their mackie-board.

but if you have a good pair of speakers in a well treated room ( and a good D/A) swapping from the SPL to a Dangerous Monitor ST will make you smile, I bet!

don´t buy what people tell you, go buy what your ears tell you,

tom
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Nut

I've just bought a second hand tb4 mk2. The build quality of the thing is hardcore.
The quality of the headphone amp is also superb. My didn't come with the external
tb mic so i can't comment on that. But i can't recommend this thing enough. I like mine
a LOT.
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've gone for the SPL 2381- it arrives tomorrow evening- will let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

JR
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
I've gone for the SPL 2381- it arrives tomorrow evening- will let you know what I think of it when it arrives.JR
Hi James,

good choice. The sonic quality of the 2381 is great, you just gotta consider the 'hiss issue', you may have followed this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...hlight=2381+vs.

At the suggestion of Bob Katz I went for 2 Cranesong Pads (about 60$ for a pair) and they work just great.

I really like the layout of the 2381, besides the ability to switch between 3 pairs of monitors, the mono button and the Talkback and Dim functions, it's also nice being able to switch between different sources. In my case (002) it's between the DA of my UA 2192 and the 002 converters when mixing or using Low Latency monitoring respectively.
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
Hi James,
At the suggestion of Bob Katz I went for 2 Cranesong Pads (about 60$ for a pair) and they work just great.

I really like the layout of the 2381, besides the ability to switch between 3 pairs of monitors, the mono button and the Talkback and Dim functions, it's also nice being able to switch between different sources. In my case (002) it's between the DA of my UA 2192 and the 002 converters when mixing or using Low Latency monitoring respectively.
Hi Andi,

Yeah, I actually bought it because I saw it at your place and looked into it a bit further.
It has everything I want. I don't need digital input, or surround support or a lot of things that Avocet/Dangerous and such have.

I've got it installed and it is brilliant.
I've been using a Mackie LM3204 as my monitor section for ages and this is a definite step up in quality- the stereo imaging is better also.
I actually have virtually no hiss at all.
I keep the control room pot at 12 oclock and use the main pot for level and it is quiet as a mouse.
It solves a lot of problems for me- the main one being the heat in my room at the moment is killing me and the Mackie mixer- it was ****ting itself.
The storm tonight was nice- although it scared my dog, but it cooled things down.
We should meet for a beer soon mate, before I head off to NYC.
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

James,

Glad to hear that your 2381 works out well! Definitely gimme a buzz before you leave...
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
The sonic quality of the 2381 is great, you just gotta consider the 'hiss issue', you may have followed this thread:
My MTC 2381 'hiss issue' went away completely when I bought a Radio Shack SPL meter and adjusted the input sensitivity on my powered monitors.
-20db FS pink noise = 83dB at my listening position with the MTC's volume control at 70%.
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Update!

Well it didn't take long for the SPL to crap out on me. There's a nasty crackling when turning the master volume out of the left stereo channel.

I emailed them but since I'm past the warrany I'm ****e out of luck.

Just wanted to warn the community.

P.S. I wonder how much worse a Mackie Big knob would perform? Anyone ever use both units?

Thanks
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

My SPL Volume 2 has been sweet from the get go. It's uber smooth and is dead quiet. From my experience, I'd highly recommend it.
Old 12th November 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Dont get the SPL. It's defective junk like the Central Station. Unless you don't mind seding them intill you get "A Good One". I do this for a living so it matters to me. My 2 cents.
T
I second Central Station being crap. Features are good. Sound is "okay". For the price range. But it's built like a toy and it's obvious they cut corners, and honestly when I first got it I said to myself this thing will break. Mine completely broke in 9 months as planned. Presonus said it will take weeks for "warranty service". Forget that. Just to get it back and have it break again. It was funny though since when it broke I was having to use cell phones for talkback to my singer/vocal booth. I have since got a Dangerous Dbox and it's awesome and solidly built. Sounds way better and has the summing section too. Of course it costs a lot more but at least I have piece of mind.
Old 12th November 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz View Post
Well it didn't take long for the SPL to crap out on me. There's a nasty crackling when turning the master volume out of the left stereo channel.
Spray some DOxit in there.
Old 13th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Spray some DOxit in there.
There ya go! Thanks! I'll try that! Radio Shack? Where to buy?
Old 13th November 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz View Post
There ya go! Thanks! I'll try that! Radio Shack? Where to buy?
I got a can from Guitar Center.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search