The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Active NS10m Equivalents?
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Addict

Active NS10m Equivalents?

Wondering what you would suggest as something available new that could be similar to the NS10m but as an active design?

Thanks,

Woods
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

I know their not glamorous, put the Yorkville YSM1p somewhat fall into the NS-10 rang for me. I mix on both all the time and have come to appreciate the Yorkies ability to translate as I appreciate the NS-10 to bring some reality to the Genelecs (which I am not particularly fond of but are standard at a couple of my main gigs.)

You don't have to tape a piece of one layer tissue over the yorkies and they don't make you work quite as hard (the brilliance of NS-10s), but they are accomplishing a relatively similar outcome for me. I use the yorkies for my little writing studio. By little I mean to say that I am using great conversion, API 3124 pres... etc... just to give you an idea of where i am coming from.

cheers,
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Addict

Anything a little smaller in size? What about those new Yamaha NSP5 or whatever they are?
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've been in sessions with those... top-shelf producer who used them with a pair of Gens. Does a lot of his own mixing there and the mixes sound amazing. I was not the engineer on those sessions so that's all I know.

cheers,
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Addict

you mean the Yamaha MSP5A Active Monitors or whatever? Are you sure they were the 5s or the 10s?

How did they sound? In comparison to the old NS10m?Thanks,

Woods
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Addict

Yamaha MSP5A -- anybody using?
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have a pair of MSP5. I am not sure the model is manufactured anymore after the HS80 came out.

It is a nice little speaker, a little larger than the small Genelecs. Decent sound and decent volume. One annoying thing is that the bass ports create a quite strong directional wind, it literally puffs in your face.

Can definitely be used for mixing, they tell more or less a true story. In that price class they are not bad really especially as they seem to go quite cheap on the used market. Of course there are better speakers, generally both larger and more expensive, but as things goes these are acceptable.

Gunnar

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search