The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Austin Tx
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Mike's place is sick, I mean truly wrong. How many Fairchilds and Mellotrons does a guy need? He's a wonderful guy (no pun intended) and a truly mad audio genius in every good way.

Here's MY Fairchild:
Attached Thumbnails
Austin Tx-mf-19.jpg  
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Austin SLUTZ meet and greet

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
And RNC's. Greetings fellow Austinites. We ought to assemble for margaritas and TexMex sometime, somewhere.--Max Cooper said he'd pick up the tab.

Yeah. Can't believe I said that in the internet.

Aww, what the heck.

So are Austin SLUTZ going to let this opportunity pass up....WTF?

heh

trans
Old 22nd June 2006
Here for the gear

I saw someone mention Arlyn up there.

It's been turned into a recording school called Mediatech Austin that I just graduated from. It sure does have plenty of vibe and I'm proud to have learned the ropes here. It's a very hands on curriculum and I've even recorded a record on that beautiful API in A with the time that they allot us as students.

I currently work at The Bubble with Chris "Frenchie" Smith (Explosions in the Sky, ...And you will know us by the trail of dead, Spoon) and that's another awesome room here too. I've heard great stuff about Matchbox Studios, The Wire, Nevel Eleven, Digital Dojo, and of course Cedar Creek and Pedernales.

Pm me so we can hang out and talk audio when you get down here.
Old 22nd June 2006
Here for the gear

I've tracked at both the matchbox and the bubble (in its old and current location). Both are packed with great gear and great rooms, and frankly, both house excellent engineers and assistants. I recommend them heartily. You'll find equipment details for the bubble listed in a previous post, and the link to matchbox studios as well. Enjoy your stay.
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm here. Deceptive Sound in the Oak Hill section of Austin.

It's small. I do the occasional jingle, the occasional artist and my own projects. Lately, I've been baking tape and transferring the finished result to digital. I'm in on that sit down if that's ever going to go down. I'll even split the tab with Max.

Just give me a Guinness.

Jasper
PS -- I need to update the equipment list at my site. For the time being, lose the Drawmer 1969 and add a Tube Tech CL 1B.
Old 28th June 2006
austin area audio geeks unite!!
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hey, we can all gather at my gig at the Back Room on 7/14...7-9 pm in the beer garden. Bring lots of friends who are big tippers. heh

No, seriously, I was bummed that we couldn't pull off an Austin Slutz lunch during SXSW and would be glad to participate in a little confab this summer (especially since Max is picking up the first round). If anyone wants to suggest a place and possible times, post away. How about El Mercado, either the one on Lavaca or down on S. 1st for lunch on a Saturday?
Old 29th June 2006
Here for the gear

Austin, tX

Yes sirie.

Embassy studio (my friends place) is just a skip away from Slaughter Ln, and my project studio that has an awesome deck overlooking Zilker. The Zilker place is a freaking rad place to track and record. The living room is perfect for drums, vocals, whatever, with a nice setup of some JBL Tads and properly treated room. Gonna do some ambisonic stuff for my album at the Zilker location.

Strangely enough though I prefer the all digital studio on Slaughter with 2 KRK 6's, and duel KRK S12s.

Cool to see other fellow Austinites here on the slutz board.

Rephrezent A-tizzle

Haxorkittzz,
P
Old 29th June 2006
Here for the gear

Does anyone know the contact information for the Mistyhill studio?

That place looks freaking dope as hell.

I'd like to check that place out and do some tracking there early next year. Got a pretty good budget to record, and didn't know of too many places off hand to lay serious ground work.

Please pm me with the booking guys number por favor.
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter martin
Does anyone know the contact information for the Mistyhill studio?

That place looks freaking dope as hell.

I'd like to check that place out and do some tracking there early next year. Got a pretty good budget to record, and didn't know of too many places off hand to lay serious ground work.

Please pm me with the booking guys number por favor.
It's an amazing place, to be sure. But it's a private studio, so I have no idea if bookings are being accepted. There's contact info at mistyhill.com

Certainly can't hurt to ask.

I've been there, but I was first rendered unconscious with the infamous "Bat Gas", so I wouldn't be able to tell you where it is geographically.

It's the proving ground for Wunder preamps and microphones.
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
Andi, Arlyn fell to the economic realities of this very competitive market and is now a recording school (like we need more junior engineers to staff all the money-losing project studios here).
Wow...Hud you sound kind of bitter...job get taken by a junior engineer? Only kidding, or am I?
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire8898 View Post
Wow...Hud you sound kind of bitter...job get taken by a junior engineer? Only kidding, or am I?
I have plenty of things to feel bitter about dfegad but losing a gig to a newbie AE isn't one of them. Just stating the obvious - there are more people "graduating" from these recording schools than there are jobs in a town dominated by owner-run project studios. I have had Full Sail grads work for me selling audio gear for $10/hr because they couldn't find a paying AE job here. Hard to pay off one's $30K student loan on that kind of money, more less pay the rent and have a few bucks left over for blank CDRs.
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire8898 View Post

I realize you're kidding, but having met Hud, he's anything but bitter. Both he and Max are a riot and it's probably time for us to get together again. We should do a test with the Wunder vs. the U47 vs. the Rode NTV (read Benson's interview in TapeOp if you don't get that) and the Pearlman.

And we should do this test at 5 a.m. Studios, of course.

Jasper
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jasper View Post
I realize you're kidding, but having met Hud, he's anything but bitter. Both he and Max are a riot and it's probably time for us to get together again. We should do a test with the Wunder vs. the U47 vs. the Rode NTV (read Benson's interview in TapeOp if you don't get that) and the Pearlman.

And we should do this test at 5 a.m. Studios, of course.

Jasper
That would be big fun. I'll bring my Soundelux U95S, too. I'm free through the holidays so let me know when you guys wanna rumble. Jasper, I'd still love to come by and check out your place when it's convenient.
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

Guys that would be awesome.

We are currently thinking seriously about investing in a super high end mic like the Wunder, U47, Wagener, etc. to hear these would be incredible. Jasper, perhaps you can line it up with Wunder?

January is looking to be crazy busy but December is more casual as many folks are doing the holiday preparations, so if we can line this up in December that would be great.

Also at end of December or beginning of January I'm happy to announce we'll be doing a 500 series EQ comparison including the new A-Designs units, Speck, Avedis, and hopefully Daking and S&M audio too. I'll let y'all know what date that will be as well!

Fun fun FuN!!!
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

Well, since this thread started, the construction here has gotten out of hand.

I live a mile East of the 35 on Sixth St.

When I moved over here, there was one loft development on the East Side. Mine.

Now there are five more going up in the one mile of Sixth St. between here and the freeway, with a bunch more in the general 'hood, plus a few apartment buildings.

Traffic on my formerly quiet street has exploded. There are only three ways out of this part of the East Side; Cesar Chavez, Sixth and Eight via Seventh. And they're all jammed all day. And on top of that, Cesar Chavez doesn't go all the way through; you have to cut over the bridge or go north to Sixth if you want to go further West on Chavez.

There's a thirty-six story condo going up at Lamar and Fifth.

There's a new W Hotel and Condo going up next to City Hall with the ground floor being Willie Nelson's Austin City Limits Studio and Theatre (I'm sure it'll be a "House of Blues" most of the time.)

Every direction you look, all you see are huge cranes.

Traffic all over Downtown Austin and vicinity has gotten totally out of hand in the last six months.

It really feels like "Vegas-ization".

The problem with Downtown Austin is that there are only a few ways to go certain places.

Unless you go way up north, the only connection between the 35 and Loop 1 is Sixth Street.

If you're South of Town Lake and you want to go North, you can go Lamar, Congress or the 35.

And the limited passage between East and West sides due to the 35 freeway.

I drive my girlfriend to U.T. and it used to take five minutes. Now it takes thirty-five if we're lucky.

It's making my head spin. There are only a million people here. Hoo boy.
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

I have to agree on that, traffic in Austin is really friggin crazy. I understand it in LA because of the sheer numbers of people, and you can literally see all those people so it makes sense when the traffic crawls.

But Austin, the traffic consistently seems to be f*cked up for no apparent reason whatsoever, all over the place. Plus, people here drive slow as sh*t, I've never seen a place where people consistently drive so slow, like everybody is stoned or something. Today I seriously contemplated getting a motorcycle, the fastest one they make, and just burning through this traffic every day like a maniac.
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

Driving to my girlfiriend's place in Northwest Hills up MOPAC last night around 7:30, I passed three vehicles that were in the middle or left lane doing 35 in a 65 zone, holding up traffic for hundreds of yards behind them. Dumb asses. There are more idiot drivers in Austin than anywhere else I've lived. Almost as many as there are project studios.
Old 7th December 2006
Gear Maniac

I'm ready

I just made like an infinity of CM7's. Just kidding. But I am just finishing up a huge batch. I would be happy to bring a one over for a shoot out. I can bring a couple to demonstrate the variously tuned M7 capsules that are used.

take care
Voondakeischt
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Warren View Post
Today I seriously contemplated getting a motorcycle, the fastest one they make, and just burning through this traffic every day like a maniac.
I find Texas drivers to be un-motorcycle friendly. Be careful! The consequences can be horrific, especially to a musician, if you know what I mean.
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderkap View Post
I just made like an infinity of CM7's. Just kidding. But I am just finishing up a huge batch. I would be happy to bring a one over for a shoot out. I can bring a couple to demonstrate the variously tuned M7 capsules that are used.

take care
Voondakeischt
Wunderkap, if you have so many CM7s laying around you should give them away as stocking stuffers to every Austin-based Gearslut. What a nice man you are. Oh, and bring one of your CMVs with an M7 capsule, that ought to be fun to compare with the rest of these LDCs.
Old 7th December 2006
Dan
Lives for gear

Come on up to Dallas. It's a 3 hour drive, and I'll find you a place to stay if you need it.

www.artisan-********************
Old 7th December 2006
Gear Maniac

CM7

I can't give them away but maybe I can think of somthing...
Old 7th December 2006
Gear Head

[QUOTE=max cooper;1006575]Well, since this thread started, the construction here has gotten out of hand.

It's been out of hand since'74. take airport to get to the university, or better yet, get your girlfriend a bike. Remember the Armadillo!
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

take care
Voondakeischt
I think that would be excellent!

What timeframe works for you? Would it be something you'd like to do say maybe later in the week next week? Or will it take a bit longer to prepare the mics?

Would be great to do something before the holidays, as even though you can't give the mics away to put in my stocking, maybe we can arrange a special Christmas deal...

-Mark
Old 8th December 2006
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't give them away but maybe I can think of somthing...
dude...

duuuude

Old 8th December 2006
hey Austinites-

please deal me in to any mic/EQ/pre-amp shootout you got
going! i can likely host something here at Tequila Mockingbird
too if need be.

we're hoping to get a Mojave mic in the next week or two, so
if i get it by the time the mic shootout happens, i'll bring it too.
(it kicked the crap out of some other mics i shot it out against
a year or so ago)

oh, and as for the traffic...it can be hear-breaking. i never take
my 'cycle on I35...too scary. also, coming across the South 1st bridge
towards City Hall is a guaranteed ass-puckering moment as everyone
sorts out what lane they are actually in.

cheers,
marty.
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Tequila Mockingbird is a good joint.

So why don't we shoot for a test next week. How about Tuesday night at 5 a.m. Studios?

Jasper
Old 9th December 2006
Gear Nut

Is this invite open to all Austin Gearslutz?

Justin
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

I'll bring the eggnog and Dickel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search