The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Should I buy Bearsville Studios
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Should I buy Bearsville Studios

LOL never thought I'd be asking this here on GS...

Okay, "I" won't be buying the studio, but a friend of mine is looking for a place to build a studio, and I saw this and thought that it might be a better idea to just pick this up, but I want to know what I'm talking about before I bring it up to him. I don't have any experience in buying massive amounts of real estate so I wanted to find out anything I may not know about a transaction like this.

As far as I know its up for sale at about 2.1 million...it includes the house (which can be either 3 apartments or 1 giant house), the barn/studio and 78 or so acres of beautiful land.

What should I know about taxes and all that kind of stuff? Are there any obvious downsides/struggles with a place like this? Please impart me with your wisdom and any thoughts on the subject, does anyone have any experience with this particular place? I'd assume they have a pretty solid client base, it looks like a pretty legendary place considering the client list.

Please no comments like "well if you have to ask then you shouldn't buy it" or any of that stuff. I'm not the one who would buy it.

Thanks guys!
Old 15th June 2006
Motown legend

In that location you really need a place for people to stay. I hate to think what it would cost to equal that kind of a room today. Probably a better idea than building a new room from scratch.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
In that location you really need a place for people to stay. I hate to think what it would cost to equal that kind of a room today. Probably a better idea than building a new room from scratch.

It comes with a house that the artists can stay in. 3 Duplex apartments or 1 big house depending on how it's set up.

What do you mean when you say you hate to think of what it would cost to equal that room today? Are you saying it would cost more to build?
Old 15th June 2006
Quote:
i thought they had accomodations on site...

wicked studio... sad to see them go
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

BTW I'm talking about Bearsville at Turtle Creek.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone else?
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopants
Anyone else?

sierously, what are you doing asking an internet forum for advice about purchasing a 2.1 million dollar studio?

re: taxes. Dosen't your boy have an accountant or a financial investment firm/representative you could see advice from?

re: the palce. Yeah, there are always risks. The owner is selling it for a reason. You can't force people to come to your place, they have to want to. Do you have enough clients to keep it booked for the next 2 years? If not, then don't do it unless you just wanna blow some $$ cuz your bored.

You gotta think about the expenses too...the electric bill, maintaince. Do you know what maintaince on just the property is going to be like? let alone the studio. And what about the studio? Are you happy with the gear/studio the way it is? I'd be willing to be it needs a renovation, which should be done anyway to bring something "fresh and new" to the place. If you just buy the place and leave it be hoping it will draw clients as is your in for a big suprise.
Old 15th June 2006
Quote:
I'd assume they have a pretty solid client base
Ka-lingle-lingle-lingle-lingle-lingle

Was that an alarm bell I heard?

Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Just a thought, but is "Poopants" a wise choice of professional moniker that is likely to impress potential investors, suppliers and clients, plenty of whom hang out on this Forum?
Old 15th June 2006
Motown legend

My point is that you'd need to build accommodations if you were to build from scratch.

I've always heard good things about the room. The gear may just be too dated for high-end clients and the owner wants to sell rather than re-equip. This is a classic "sound hotel" and needs to provide second to none service and gear in order to survive.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

A few things to consider.

Bearsvile is a beautiful joint, great room...
Not too many of these old school facilites left.
With property values rising all the time, and being next to Woodstock, the land alone would be a good investment...
Of course you need to check the taxes, and see if the asking price is reasonable.
Aside from that,
I was told that it was a condition of the sale of that building, was that it could never be used as a studio again?
I live a few miles from there and that's what I was told a while ago.

Besides that, you will have major competition from Allaire Studios just a few miles away!
Which is already World Class, and up and running!

Paul
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Addict

Well, it's pretty telling that the bearsville studio website mentions nothing about it being a music facility. They're clearly selling for the land and the house.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL never thought I'd be asking this here on GS...

Okay, "I" won't be buying the studio, but a friend of mine is looking for a place to build a studio, and I saw this and thought that it might be a better idea to just pick this up, but I want to know what I'm talking about before I bring it up to him. I don't have any experience in buying massive amounts of real estate so I wanted to find out anything I may not know about a transaction like this.

As far as I know its up for sale at about 2.1 million...it includes the house (which can be either 3 apartments or 1 giant house), the barn/studio and 78 or so acres of beautiful land.

What should I know about taxes and all that kind of stuff? Are there any obvious downsides/struggles with a place like this? Please impart me with your wisdom and any thoughts on the subject, does anyone have any experience with this particular place? I'd assume they have a pretty solid client base, it looks like a pretty legendary place considering the client list.

Please no comments like "well if you have to ask then you shouldn't buy it" or any of that stuff. I'm not the one who would buy it.

Thanks guys!
Unless they changed thier minds the original owner has a clause in the contract forbidding the use of the studio as a commercial facility. I believe the original owner still ownes a commercial studio in the area and doesn't want competition. Keep that in mind and forget "solid client base". There is none. I believe this is one of the reasons the current owner is selling. You should confirm these things for yourself if you're serious.

Good luck.
Old 15th June 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
That seems like a really odd contact clause. Just out of curiosity, what happens if a year after you bought the property from him you chose to make it a commercial facility again? What recourse would the guy have? Seems to me like an unenforcable stipulation.
Old 15th June 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unless they changed thier minds the original owner has a clause in the contract forbidding the use of the studio as a commercial facility. I believe the original owner still ownes a commercial studio in the area and doesn't want competition. Keep that in mind and forget "solid client base". There is none. I believe this is one of the reasons the current owner is selling. You should confirm these things for yourself if you're serious.
I know that the old Bearsville studio had this clause when it was sold, as the owners wanted to keep Bearsville at Turtle Creek up and running, keep the Bearsville name/legacy intact. On the website talking about selling features it says "If not used as a recording studio, it would lend itself to many other possibilities, such as guest accommodation, artist's studio, home theater, party space, etc."

Is all the gear included in the selling price?
Old 16th June 2006
TML
Lives for gear

I can't remember if it was 1.2 anyway....I thought about it....maybe get 4 guys together...make it a Pro Tools Sweat shop.....the plan will never work....to big......too much over head........I thought Dr. John was going for it at one time........
Tim
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

turtle creek is nice it is NOT studio one at Bearville... one of the great tracking rooms in the world Nor is it studio B, Bob Clearmountain's personal Mix room for many years.... in other words your'e not buying Bearsville...

cheers
SP
Old 16th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

Two reasons to buy it, since it can't be used as a studio:

War
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann
Just a thought, but is "Poopants" a wise choice of professional moniker that is likely to impress potential investors, suppliers and clients, plenty of whom hang out on this Forum?

Yeah dude it is an awesome name.
But I don't see how it affects my -friend's- clients or potential investors...
And what does that have to do with my question?
I never claimed I was even a professional take it easy...

But anyway I'm glad you like my name.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Ka-lingle-lingle-lingle-lingle-lingle

Was that an alarm bell I heard?

lol I should have known better than to say something like that here...I know that assuming things as important as a client base is a very nieve thing to do. I really meant that as a question...let me re-phrase it, DO they have a large client base?

And I know that even if my friend did buy the place, it doesn't mean the clients come with it, blah blah etc. He has his own clients too, I was just wondering how the business is going at bearsville. Because (and I don't know this for sure in any way) it seems like a studio where the clients bring in their own engineer and there are no in-house engineers. Which means the clients that come in aren't there for particular people, so they're really just there for the space. So what would a change of ownership do to alienate the regular (if there are regular) clients? Unless the new owners didn't maintain it and let it go to waste or something. But again, I don't even know if this is the case, maybe the clients do go there for a particular person or people. Does anyone know?
Old 16th June 2006
without wanna teaching you, your approach of spending 2.1mio $$$ is a bit naive. normally you make a market-research, you calculate everything (from the new coffeeemachine, to the amount of costs for toiletpaper and the gardener's cigarettes). Ok, if you have some more millions on your account, who cares

please contact an economist to make a plan/research, because you have no plan.

cheers and good luck!
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
My point is that you'd need to build accommodations if you were to build from scratch.

I've always heard good things about the room. The gear may just be too dated for high-end clients and the owner wants to sell rather than re-equip. This is a classic "sound hotel" and needs to provide second to none service and gear in order to survive.
Yes, thats why it seemed like an interesting deal to me, because it already has a working studio, a house for the artist/s, and a ton of land. And it seems like such a perfect environment to be creative in, I had a couple of bands over today and when I showed them the place on the website they all went goo goo eyed and dreamed of recording there...and thats the kind of place I'd want to go if I were an artist or in a band too.

He would definitely update the gear if he got the place, but there is a lot of really nice stuff there already, a great mic selection, an API Legacy console, the mains are probably pretty nice, etc.

is it possible to rig an API legacy up with a tonelux fader system?? I'd have to convince him to do that...
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola
without wanna teaching you, your approach of spending 2.1mio $$$ is a bit naive. normally you make a market-research, you calculate everything (from the new coffeeemachine, to the amount of costs for toiletpaper and the gardener's cigarettes). Ok, if you have some more millions on your account, who cares

please contact an economist to make a plan/research, because you have no plan.

cheers and good luck!

good god

LET ME MAKE IT CLEAR TO ALL FUTURE POSTERS THAT I AM NOT BUYING THE STUDIO, I HAVE NO BUSINESS PLAN, I DON'T HAVE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, BUT MY FRIEND DOES AND MIGHT BE INTERESTED. I'M SIMPLY CASUALLY ASKING FOR OPINIONS SO I KNOW WHETHER OR NOT I SHOULD EVEN WASTE HIS TIME BRINGING IT UP. I AM NOT MAKING A 2.1 MILLION DOLLAR DECISION BASED ON WHAT PEOPLE SAY IN A MESSAGEBOARD.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERNIGHT
Well, it's pretty telling that the bearsville studio website mentions nothing about it being a music facility. They're clearly selling for the land and the house.

yes it does, the studio is the barn, and it has client & gear listings on the site
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg
I know that the old Bearsville studio had this clause when it was sold, as the owners wanted to keep Bearsville at Turtle Creek up and running, keep the Bearsville name/legacy intact. On the website talking about selling features it says "If not used as a recording studio, it would lend itself to many other possibilities, such as guest accommodation, artist's studio, home theater, party space, etc."

Is all the gear included in the selling price?

all the gear is included, he'd be buying a working studio. It's not like this is an old run-down studio, there are bands recording there right now.

According to the quote it looks like it can be used as a commercial studio under new ownership.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott petito
turtle creek is nice it is NOT studio one at Bearville... one of the great tracking rooms in the world Nor is it studio B, Bob Clearmountain's personal Mix room for many years.... in other words your'e not buying Bearsville...

cheers
SP

yup
i know
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Two reasons to buy it, since it can't be used as a studio:

War

LOL

but why do you say it can't be used as a studio?
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

BLAH
Old 16th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
LOL

but why do you say it can't be used as a studio?
About a half dozen people in this thread said they all heard it can't be used as a studio. It also isn't being advertised as a studio either. I really was just taking the opportunity to post that picture, I so rarely find an oppurtunity to use it in a thread.

War
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
About a half dozen people in this thread said they all heard it can't be used as a studio. It also isn't being advertised as a studio either. I really was just taking the opportunity to post that picture, I so rarely find an oppurtunity to use it in a thread.

War

Well I'm glad you got the opportunity to use it! lol

But from the site at least, there's no indication that it couldn't be used as a studio.
This is from the site:

Currently set up as a professional recording studio, the Turtle Creek Barn is a beautiful example of 19th century post-and-beam construction. The 2000+ sq.ft. space has 2 bathrooms, deluxe kitchen, sleeping loft, rough-hewn spiral staircase, central air & heat. If not used as a recording studio, it would lend itself to many other possibilities, such as guest accommodation, artist's studio, home theater, party space, etc.

The studio installation includes an automated API mixing console, up-to-date ProTools HD, Studer tape machines, extensive microphone collection, grand piano and much more. Some of the many artists who have recorded in the barn are: Muddy Waters, REM, Dave Matthews Band, Cassandra Wilson, & Phish

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search