The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I buy Bearsville Studios
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYMAX
Hi-
I know more than I'll admit about the Bearsville situation. Turtle Creek is a great place, perfect location, beautiful room. You might want to call the Woodstock Building Departmant and find out if the zoning will allow someone to run a commercial facility at this location upon a sale.
-Pete

I don't know how much you want to say about it, but can you give me some more info? How has business been going there? Do you know the reason it's up for sale?

Thanks Pete.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854
That seems like a really odd contact clause. Just out of curiosity, what happens if a year after you bought the property from him you chose to make it a commercial facility again? What recourse would the guy have? Seems to me like an unenforcable stipulation.
He could take you to court and probably sue for damages. How they'd compute the damages, I don't know. My uncle bought a house from a guy who lived in another house across the street and, not wanting any eyesores, stipulated that my aunt & uncle could not, among other things, land aircraft on their property.

But apparently he didn't foresee them parking their tractor in their front yard.

-Dan.
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Nut

I know for a fact that Senses Fail is recording their CD right now with Brian mcternan at bearsville. So that's weird to hear that it is for sale/closing down/whatever is going on with it.
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

didnt coheed and cambria record their last record at bearsville?
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi
didnt coheed and cambria record their last record at bearsville?

yup...amazing album, never liked coheed until I heard this, now I'm obsessed
and yes senses fail is recording right now, thats what makes this look interesting to me, because it still seems very active
Old 17th June 2006
TML
Lives for gear

Applehead Studios
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML
Applehead Studios

oops you're right
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

the joke

I've not read trhis entire thread but.......

You know how to end up with a million dollars in the studio business?

Buy a studio for 2.1 million.........
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear
While I might not agree that it was one of the world's best tracking rooms, there is no doub t that studio one was a really nice room.

but the barn was never anything great, in my opinion.

originally, it was were we rehearsed before moving to the 'real' studio to record.
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hi

I'll state from the opening that my knowledge on the studio could probably be written in foot high capital letters on a postage stamp....

That being said, I was under the impression that the vintage Neve console they had at Bearsville had been sold to a studio in New Zealand.

A guy emailed me and had visited that studio and described the console.

So, I'm not sure what facilities remain at the Bearsville studio.

Old 18th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T
That being said, i was under the impression that the vintage Neve console they had at Bearsville had been sold to a studio in New Zealand.
A guy emailed me and had visited that studio and described the console.
So, I'm not sure what facilities remain at the Bearsville studio.

True...Both consoles were sold...We have one, the other one went to New Zealand ( to N. Finn ).
IVS
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsandblu
True...Both consoles were sold...We have one, the other one went to New Zealand ( to N. Finn ).
IVS
Hi

Thanks for confirming that.

So, with the caveat that it can't be used as a studio, and both consoles gone, it doesn't seem the greatest deal, studio-wise (to quote Jack Lemmon speak).

As real estate, that may be another matter.

Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T
Hi

Thanks for confirming that.

So, with the caveat that it can't be used as a studio, and both consoles gone, it doesn't seem the greatest deal, studio-wise (to quote Jack Lemmon speak).

As real estate, that may be another matter.

We're talking about Bearsville at Turtle Creek here, not the main Bearsville Studios.
It IS a full working studio, there are bands recording there right now. It has an API Legacy console.

www.bearsvillestudios.com

the Barn is the studio.
It includes the house and 78 (or so) acres of land.
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopants
We're talking about Bearsville at Turtle Creek here, not the main Bearsville Studios.
It IS a full working studio, there are bands recording there right now. It has an API Legacy console.

www.bearsvillestudios.com

the Barn is the studio.
It includes the house and 78 (or so) acres of land.
Hi

My apologies... I didn't realise that there were more than one Bearsville... hence my comment about the postage stamp!

Old 13th April 2007
Here for the gear

great drums

FLYMAX,

the drums I heard on your myspace page rock!
Old 14th April 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Eddie..
Appreciate the kind words..
Tani is an amazing drummer..he's played with a lot of greats from Sun Ra to Cassandra Wilson..we had a good time on the session and the mix...
-Pete
Old 14th April 2007
Here for the gear

Bearsville connection

I kinda got to this thread because I was looking for AKG C24 pix - I've worked on three so far this year. All the "speculation" on the Bearsville property took me back in time.

http://www.tangible-technology.com/music/mics/c24.html

I was the chief engineer at bearsville during the summer of '78, a short-lived roller-coaster ride that was full of bull**** politics enhanced by the heavy consumption of pharmaceuticals. Not that I didn't partake, but never to the extent of those around me. (I was a cheap date then.)

That said, to be working at a studio I had admired from afar (Bonnie Raitt's GIVE IT UP album) as well as being a Todd Rundgren and "Big Pink" fan, it was otherwise heaven. It was only the B room then, A was just a shell and Turtle Creek was a rehearsal space that was being used by Eddy Offord, who had just finished recording David Sancious and his band "Tone."

Immediately after B-ville, I went to work for Offord who was by then working out of Levon Helm's house (the one that burned down). I recorded Jack Dejohnette there.

So, what did happen to all the B-ville properties?

ec

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search