The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Actual Proof Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Actual Proof

Watch this heh
Old 15th June 2006
WOW... I don't know what is more impressive there. Pretty amazing.

Old 15th June 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

Damn!
(and my first attempt with emoticons)
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

yeah! that was worth clicking!!!
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg
Damn!
i second that
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

That $hit is awesome. Does anybody know what kind of box is that guy playing?
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Looks like an Alesis HR-16 drum machine.

This is some killer playing!
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

now all they need is a box that works like a real bass gtr...LOL

tight
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Holy crap! I wish they showed a close up of his fingers! All that on a $100, 20 yr old drum machine.
Old 15th June 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

Amazing!

thumbsup thumbsup

Makes me want to walk around with a drum machine on a frame in front me.. kind of like how Jimi was never without his guitar.

If only I had the time...
Old 15th June 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

Makes me wonder what he can do on a real kit!

Maybe very little??

But somehow I doubt it.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Nice!!!!
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
WOW... I don't know what is more impressive there. Pretty amazing.

Haha, my thoughts exactly. Pretty amazing stuff.
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Guru

That's great.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine
Holy crap! I wish they showed a close up of his fingers! All that on a $100, 20 yr old drum machine.

i wonder if he's using it as a controller only, with the sounds loaded onto the MPC in the background.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Coolest thing I have seen in years.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

that's really cool...

altho i can't help but notice, if you carefully watch the drummer's right leg.. it stays so still it looks like a fake leg.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Nothing can beat 50c anyway..
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Just goes to show that MUSICIANS rule the day!

I mean homeboy was playing on PADS and it sounded pretty close to a drum set, although every snare hit sounded pretty much the same (not his fault).

Thank you for that. Although if he had skills on a real set, this would have been OUTRAGEOUS. Probably he does, maybe he doesn't, but a real drum set would have been in a whole different DIMENSION. I mean he would have been hitting the cymbals with different feels, blah, blah, blah....

I will say this, the "magical" piece of this was the bass player, and he was playing an actual BASS.

-There's nothing like real instruments and real players playing their instruments.

This is coming from a keyboard player who uses loops, drum machines, samples, and everything else to approximate real players....when I don't have them.
Old 15th June 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSpace
Thank you for that. Although if he had skills on a real set, this would have been OUTRAGEOUS. Probably he does, maybe he doesn't, but a real drum set would have been in a whole different DIMENSION. I mean he would have been hitting the cymbals with different feels, blah, blah, blah....
Hey Soulspace - I'm not saying you don't know this - but there are alot of people who aren't aware that people can and do actually play a real drumkit as well as this guy does on pads. I've seen people like Vinnie Colaiuta, Dennis Chambers, Tony Williams and Max Roach (who takes it to a completely different dimesion than any of these guys) do things on a drumkit that the common man would not believe or know how to understand - far more astounding than what's going on in that clip - if you can fathom it.

It's worth it to anyone who likes this clip to go check out the world's best drummers and see what can be done with the instrument.
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Totally agree

There is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING,

that gets close to a real drummer. I have ALL of the drum approximation programs, but unless I have a drummer and a bass player laying down the groove, it is not happening....to me.

I will say this, I am just sick of drum and bass approximation programs. Lot's of very successful people put together pretty solid tunes using these programs. They do it every day.

But I like real people, playing real instruments. That's the direction I am going in now.

Dano
Old 15th June 2006
JDN
Lives for gear

This was very cool...did look like an HR-16. I think if anything this is a testament to the use of electronics. Frankly, the bass player wasn't nearly as solid or tight or dynamic as the "electronic" drummer.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Too bad the title is wrong. It is actually the tune called "4 a.m." from the album MrHands (1979) with Jaco Pastorius on bass and i think Tony Williams on drums (not sure about drummer).

AFAI could tell from the video, the bassist is playing a transcription of the (incredibly difficult) bassline.

other than that: great video! Young guys embracing new technology and being creative with it (could be translated to vintage vs new gear, but I'd better put my flame suit on now..)

Herwig
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Guru

Guess I need to blow off the dust on my old HR16.
Anyone seen my midi card?

Glenn
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

HA !!!

COOL !!!

Old 15th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

I'd be willing to bet that the guy can play like that on a drum kit, a non-drummer could not come up with all of those licks in my opinion.

War
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

As a drummer for the last 20 years I would say that no one could play a drum machine like that and not be able to play a real drum set. Rhythm is rhythm I don't care how you slice it. Either you have it or you don't.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

wrong.! the tune is actual proof from the album thrust and the bass player is improvising, not playing a transcription.
Old 15th June 2006
byk
Gear Maniac
Amazing!

Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Holy Nimble Phalanges Batman!

Hot Damn! I don't give a rats ass if it's a drum machine, time machine, ATM machine, machine gun, washing machine, sewing machine....whatever....

Those cats can play!

Love it! Just goes to show it's all in the feel.....not whats spinning on your reel....

heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search