The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
serious question about signal path degredation
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

serious question about signal path degredation

or lack of. Here's the deal. I have 6 good mic pre's. (Avalon 737sp, Neve 33114, UA 2-610, and a Portico 5012) I also have a Mackie d8b console. My DAW is Nuendo. Currently, I have 2 MOTU 2408's that I use to get audio from the pre's into my computer. WIth that little bit of background info, here is my real question. If I decide to run the preamp outputs through the d8b in order to use the lightpipe outputs and the routing capabilities of the d8b, will I be losing any signal quality from the pres? Should I use the line input of the d8b for this instead of the XLR input. If I use a balanced trs cable, will I lose anything? I just always thought that if I could eliminate a potential gain stage, I could get things a little quieter. I am thinking of switching to an RMS DIGI9652 and only using the lightpipe I/O instead of the MOTU's. Anxiously awaiting any response.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Are you trying to get rid of the 2408s? Or is something about your current signal path just not working for you?
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear
eliminating a gain stage won't necessarily make things sound better. you have the stuff in front of you....just try it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search