The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Control 24 Replacement - why does it not exist yet? Control Surfaces
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Control 24 Replacement - why does it not exist yet?

So this afternoon I was sitting on the throne going the the B&H pron that sits in the bathroom, eyeing the command 8. And it struck me.

The Control 24 has to be at it's end of life cycle.

So why not a Command 24?

No Pre's. No mini mixer. Just Control 8 style.

I've attached a prototype, photoshopped drawing. As tempting as it may be to pass this off as real- it's not.

So, discuss here: is something like this coming at AES SF? Why or why not? I don't think new TDM hardware is coming yet, and they need a bridge between the Command 8 and the D Command series. Could something like this be coming?

Digi-bashers need not apply. This thread is for the faithful only!
Attached Thumbnails
Control 24 Replacement - why does it not exist yet?-command-24.jpg  
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

looks AWESOME ... please no midi
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

YES PLEASE !!! heh heh heh
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Its not worth it to them to offer something cheaper than the Control24 cause its pretty cheap anyway (5K?). Especially since your photoshoped design is 90% a control24...
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Guru

more likely the "bridge" will be a scaled-down Icon, rather than a scaled-up command-8 and priced accordingly.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

i dont see that replacing the control 24. but i wish that would be the replacement to the command 8. 8 faders just isnt enough...
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

I don't see them replacing the C|24... why? It works just fine the way it is, albeit maybe with an annoying monitor section, but I guess that matters what else you use in your room. Anyway, there is too much rapid change in digital gear, and updates just for the sake of updates, and there're always bugs with every update. Do you really want to deal with all the giltches of a replacement to their C|24? YMMV
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

I agree, the Control 24 is dope....get it, buy another monitoring situation and bypass the pres if you don't like em or use htem as backup....I did and it is still worth the money!
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Digi seems to have the whole "Command" and "Control" thing going on in all of their control surfaces. "Command" for the smaller ones and "Control" for the bigger versions. If it is still a usefull box why make a new one.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

My thoughts on why a new one would be coming go something like this:

1) The control 24 is now the oldest thing in the Digi line.

2) We're not due for new HD hardware yet

3) Digi will want to have something to show off at AES

4) There are a lot of problems with the power supply in the Control 24.

5) There are a number of features not implemented on the Control 24, and will never be, which sort of indicates that it's been abandoned.

6) Increased flakiness of the Control 24 and PT 7 also indicates some abandonment.

My thoughts on why a new one might not be coming:

1) Digi 002 is also getting to be old technology, there might be a digi 003 on the way. I doubt they would release a new control surface and LE hardware at the same show.

---------------------------------------------------

The above isn't an argument, moreso just observations.

So anyway, I really do like the control 24- I've used one quite a bit and have thought about picking up one for myself. I hesitate because there's a growing feel that the product is at it's EOL.

I'm in no danger of buying one in the next couple of months, but I figured it'd be fun to get peoples opinion on what's coming down the pipeline!
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have no problems whatsoever w my C24 - pt7
never had a power problem either,
It aint broke, so.....
of course YMMV

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search