The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I've done my research and its down to this. Mic help needed!
Old 4th July 2012
Here for the gear

I've done my research and its down to this. Mic help needed!

Hey Gearslutz,

I've really been digging the wealth of info I've been getting as a leecher on this website. Recently I've been starting to pick up steam as an electro producer and I'm really starting to like it(you can peep my soundcloud if ya want). So I decided it was thyme to spice things up and start experimenting with recording vocals and live instruments for my tracks.

Alright so I've spent a couple hours doing research on what kind of mics would suit me best and I finally narrowed it down to two condensers. But before I ask for help with my options I want to list a couple restrictions I have. (Ballin on a budget)

I have a Lexicon alpha interface. It unfourtunately does not have phantom power and I don't have the money to shell out for a better one. It does however, have input for an XLR cable.

With that said, the two mics I narrowed it down to are the Rode M3 and the Audio-Technica AT2020USB. But this is where I need help. The Rode M3 is usable with a 9v battery which solves my Phantom power problem, but I'm slightly worried about the quality of the sound being degraded when using the battery option vs the phantom power. And my issue with the AT2020usb is strictly the fact that it is USB powered which I heard is iffy AND I wouldn't be able to route it through my lexicon alpha, giving me less direct control over it.

Any words of wisdom?
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

Battery power is good and clean, shouldn't degrade the sound at all as long as you keep a fresh battery in it (and maybe a spare on the desk just in case). The only downside of a battery mic in my mind is the fact that they usually last so long you can forget to swap them out as often as you should and wind up with a "leaker" that corrodes your battery box and connections. I try to remember to remove batteries from my mics and seldom used pedals and such if they are going into the drawer for a while. Also, you can buy a phantom power box later to run the mic if you want. It simply installs between the mic and the gear to supply current to the mic itself.

Never used a USB mic, but Audio Technica stuff is generally pretty good in it's class. I'd probably steer away from the USB stuff though if you plan to use it for the long haul and might buy an interface with phantom power at some point.
Old 5th July 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input Nigel. I'm leaning towards the rode as time passes. I guess my next question would be have you had any experience with the M3? Or does anyone personally recommend one mic over the other?
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

You could also invest in a nice tube mic and have something worth keeping for the future.
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

You couldn't use a USB mic the same time as the Lexicon thing without issues, I think.
Just buy a power supply (they are cheap) and a decent mic and look for better options in due time...

Matti
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Agreed, stay away from USB mics if you're looking at expanding in the future at all. When using a USB it works, but in the future if you want more mics or want to upgrade your signal chain you're looking at starting over again because that mic won't allow you to use other mics, gear or using a different mic without an interface.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search