The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mic for room
Old 4th July 2012
Here for the gear

mic for room

Hi,
if i have two neumann km 184 for recording grand piano.
Which mic you would put out to record the sound out of the piano and a little bit the room?

i have seen rode nt 4 stereo and beyerdynamic mce82 are good for this scope?

thanks
Old 4th July 2012
Led
Lives for gear

Which other mic do you have?
Old 4th July 2012
Here for the gear

I have only this neumann pair and i would add a stereo mic to have the sound out of piano and a little bit the room. But tell if for you i need to buy more mics
Old 4th July 2012
Led
Lives for gear

I prefer to use two single mics as room mics instead of a stereo mic so I can move each one around and find a good spot for it. You can also have them spaced really wide apart if you prefer.
Your close mics will give you the main stereo image. I have a pair of U87's I like to use like this, but if you are on a budget, the NT4 is actually a good sounding mic, and you could always face it away from the piano to get more of the room sound if you need to. A pair of cheaper ribbons could also work well depending on the room. As they are figure 8 they can sound a bit 'roomier' depending on how you aim them.
Old 4th July 2012
Here for the gear

and what about an elation km901 as room mic? Should i set it as omnidirectional?
Old 4th July 2012
Led
Lives for gear

Hi, I've never heard that mic, but it looks fine. It really depends on how much of the room sound you are going to have in the mix. If it's just to add a little ambience then you can get away with less stellar mics. As far as omni, it really depends on the sound in the room on the day. Sometimes you will get too much direct sound in the mic when it's set to omni, it just comes down to your taste on the day. Omni can sound great because of less of axis coloration of the piano. Cardioid can be great too, because you can aim them at the floor or at the ceiling and get more reflected sound, making the room feel bigger than it is. It all just depends on what works for the track. DO you want a closer sound with a little ambience, or a big distant room you can mix in just to add some space to the close mics? The thing with room mics is you need to move them around and listen while someone is playing the piano. Put on some headphones and walk around the room with the mic till you find the spot you like. You might find several spots. You might also find the ones that sound amazing are in really strange spots. You could even find the room sounds crappy and you're better off with a nice artificial reverb.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search