The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Want Multipurpose DI for Reamping AND LIVE
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Addict

Want Multipurpose DI for Reamping AND LIVE

So I've searched and searched and read and read, but I cannot find a simple question and hopefully I get a simple answer.

I want a multi-purpose DI that will enable me to record and eventually REAMP guitar, and I want to use it live for my bass rig.

I play an Active bass most of the time, but I want to be able to use it with my passive bass too.

I have been considering the Radial JDI as I hear it's the best sounding (especially for bass), it's passive which is supposedly superior to protect against ground loops, etc. It will also work great for live applications, but I'm not sure about reamping purposes.

In many of the ads, I see the J48, an active DI used in association with Radial X-Amp. I'm pretty sure I can use the J48 for LIVE DI applications for bass?

My budget won't allow the purchase of both the J48 and the X-Amp, unfortunately.

So given what I want to do, what do you think is the best scenario? If the J48 is the best for both reamping AND live, do I need to use it in association with X-Amp?

Most importantly, is the need to buy a box that I can use for both functions. I'm not looking to spend more than $200-$250. Also, I don't want to, and can't afford a slew of boxes for these purposes. I want a jack of all trades.

Thanks for the read and for your advice!!
Old 4th July 2012
Can't go wrong with anything Radial or JDI
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Nut

How about a LittleLabs RedEye Phantom.
It's both a DI and a reamp.
And you can use bith at the same time.
I really like mine!
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear
Most active players like the passive JDI, whereas passive players may prefer the J48. I really like the sound of the JDI for Jazz bass, acoustic guitar, or as a DI for electric. It can be used in reverse as a re-amp if you so desire with the right cables.

I also own the Pro RMP, which is the little (cheaper) brother of the X-Amp. Works for me.

See if you can find a dealer near you to try out both.
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Addict

I really appreciate all of the input.

But my biggest question is:

Can I use the JDI for Reamping Purposes? I know I can use the J48, but with the J48 it sounds like I need to use that X-Amp with it.

AGAIN:

I want something I can use for RE-AMPING and LIVE PERFORMANCE.

I had my heart set on a Radial product, but the LittleLabs RedEye Phantom may be the way to go.

Thanks again for your help!!
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear
Check out the Studio Projects VTB1..DI/Preamp
Studio Projects VTB1 Variable Tube Studio Mic Preamp at AMS
It is a great Bass DI
Not sure it will fit the bill but its worth a little investigating, it could be an all in one solution.
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear
You can use the JDI for reamping, just not at the same time you're using it for a DI.
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

You can absolutely use the jdi for reamping, it's in the manual. Basically just hook it up in reverse into the amp. The manual/explanation is probably on their site somewhere.
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
You can absolutely use the jdi for reamping, it's in the manual. Basically just hook it up in reverse into the amp. The manual/explanation is probably on their site somewhere.
Sanchez, I heard this was possible, but also that the results were less than stellar.

I think I will read the manual. I may be forced into the Little Labs Redeye 3D; it has everything I need, but the price is more than I wanted to spend - but it is worth it to get tools that work well.
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Addict

Yes, from the manual of the Radial JDI:

Use the Radial JDI to re-amplify your signal!
Today, a popular studio effect is to record a signal such as guitar, voice or keyboard on a track and then run the pre-recorded
track back through a guitar amplifier or effect pedal. This effect is known as reamping or re-amplifying and was started by
Les Paul in the 1950’s and was widely used on recordings by the Beatles in the 60’s, and by Steely Dan in the 1970’s.
The Radial JDI can be used ‘backwards’ to convert a low-impedance mic level signal back to a high-impedance guitar signal.
Simply connect the output from the recorder to a mixer and the mixer’s output to the JDI’s XLR output using a female-tofemale
XLR turn-around adaptor. Keep your level down to ensure the signal will not overload the JDI’s transformer. Connect
the ‘input’ of the JDI to the input of the guitar amplifier and you are set to go!

My only concerns were that I have heard this:

This technique can be made to work fine, but you need to take care not to overload the DI's transformer and/or the guitar amplifier input when re-amping with passive DI boxes. Radial does not give a turns ratio for the JDI, but a guess derived from the impedance figures would be 4:1. If there were no overloading, a +19dBu signal applied to the XLR connector from a MOTU TRS analogue out would emerge from the TS jack at +31dBu, which is far too hot for an amp.

I think I am good, because if I use my little mixer in the chain as it specifies in the instructions, I should be able to avoid overloading anything.

UPDATE: I went ahead and purchased the JDI. I am going to try the above, using the mixer in the chain as it states in the instructions. If it DOESN'T work great, I'm going to pick up a Radial RMP and put that in the chain. I got the JDI for $170, and I can get a RMP for $99. The total cost would be roughly $269, which is basically what the Little Labs cost. Of course, if the reamping works WITHOUT the RMP in the chain, I just saved myself $100 bux.

Wish me luck.

Last edited by spindlebox; 4th July 2012 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Purchase update
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search