The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
effects treatment for MANDOLIN ?
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

effects treatment for MANDOLIN ?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend what they use for effects treatment for MANDOLIN ?

i.e. types of reverb (plates vs rooms for example) .. and delays ect ect.

I find the the mando never sound full or warm enough .. I usually used one ribbon mic (not stereo) .. but have considered using a stereo setup .. or a pickup/mic combo.

.. but nothing has worked thus far OTHER THAN doubling/tripling the part.

thanks all.
Old 3rd July 2012
Here for the gear

Try changing the mic and position. Changing the player or the instrument might also work :-). Fx are for fun, not for fixing! Put on some cans and grab a mic. Find the sweet spot and lock the mic there. Good preamp will help as well. Listen live without mics. If things aren't happening @ the source you'll have a hard time...
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Addict

just as for other hi-pitched string instruments I think it's necessary to avoid too-close-miking ... if the recording situation allows put a ldc tube condenser where the thing sounds good in the room, at least 1m away .... this has always given me the best results; and yes, a tube mic for mando helps a lot to tame down transients, and thus helps making the sound fuller, warmer, and bigger.
if it's necessary to warm it up at the mixing stage I'd rather use some warm, colorful compressor (I'd try a LA2a, or a dbx 160) than reverb or delay
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Maniac

room mics- move them around to taste.

but i guess it really depends on what your tracking.. i do alot of celtic and folk music, so i try to stay away from any delays or reverbs.. i just use the room mic for the depth..

if its a strumming thing, layer different variations of the chords, don't just layer it playing the chords the same way.
Old 3rd July 2012
Facepalm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsgear View Post
but nothing has worked thus far OTHER THAN doubling/tripling the part
There is your answer.
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Guru
I find mandos get along very well with ribbons and opto type comps.
Mic placement is critical. Try the moving around while the guy plays trick to find the sweet spot.
And there's no law that says you can't use an EQ to roll off high end.
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsgear View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend what they use for effects treatment for MANDOLIN ?

i.e. types of reverb (plates vs rooms for example) .. and delays ect ect.

I find the the mando never sound full or warm enough .. I usually used one ribbon mic (not stereo) .. but have considered using a stereo setup .. or a pickup/mic combo.

.. but nothing has worked thus far OTHER THAN doubling/tripling the part.

thanks all.
If you find yourself wanting to triple a mandolin part then perhaps it's not a mandolin that you want. The whole charisma of a mandolin lies in its plectrum sound which IMO just gets masked or time-challenged when multitracking. Try a warm LDC through a flattering, Neve-style preamp at least a foot or more off the instrument in a neutral sounding room. I use a Flea 49/1073 chain and couldn't be happier, though for years I had the same problem as you.

I don't know if you have a pro studio or are a home recordist, but a mandolin will sorely challenge your room acoustics. It has a lot of energy in the frequency areas that can easily get mucked up by unpleasant early reflections.

-R
Old 3rd July 2012

Record a lot of mandolin here. I keep it pretty dry. Maybe a little bit of warm plate or room around 1.0 RT with some top pulled down.
Commonly I have to close mic. My usual chain is C24, Pacifica or API pre. No compression and generally no EQ. A good player with a good Gibson mandolin and you're golden. I'm actually a fan of the lesser regarded A series mandolin over the F but I'm really not a bluegrass guy. More newgrass.
And never any doubling ever. What next......doubling the 5 string banjo? Heaven forbid
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

Get some tubes in your chain...
and/or maybe an opto like la3a..
Try a nice plate with a long pre delay
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

I do dry...maybe slow compression to make it less s*****.
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

Mic that f-hole with a good ribbon and boost a little 200hz and you can capture a nice warm sound. You'd need a super fast comp ( fast attack, fast release) to get rid of some of the pick attack but that is part of the mando's sound - if the player is playing with the groove you shouldn't need it - if not you can mess around with attack and release times and try to get it to sit.
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

thanks all .. great tips !!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search