The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RME Fireface 800 powersupply failure
Old 2nd November 2018
Here for the gear

Another Successful DIY Repair!

Thanks to you awesome people in this thread I was able to revive my fireface 800 after it died recently. Unit was totally non-responsive, found this thread, ordered some capacitors, did some ramshackle soldering and bam I'm back in business!

Many thanks to all you guys who shared your info and tips!

I used the exact capacitors from Arturo00's list: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...om-digikey.xls

With the new caps and the diagram from Temptin's post I was able repair the unit for less than $20.
Old 25th February 2019
Here for the gear

Hello, can someone confirm that the resistor in red is a 10 Ohm 5%..?

I can't figure out from the photo and mine, just caught fire!

:P

Thanks!!

Cheers
Hugo
Attached Thumbnails
RME Fireface 800 powersupply failure-capacitors.jpg  
Old 4th March 2019
Here for the gear

10ohm 5% - That's what it looks like to me. Looking at mine now. Looks like brown/black/black/gold.
Old 17th March 2019
Here for the gear

A big THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this thread! I just finished fixing my FF800 based on the info in this thread. I filmed my repair and posted it on YouTube. Hopefully that can help someone else who's having trouble too!
YouTube
Old 17th March 2019
Lives for gear

Killer video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethmopod View Post
A big THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this thread! I just finished fixing my FF800 based on the info in this thread. I filmed my repair and posted it on YouTube. Hopefully that can help someone else who's having trouble too!
YouTube
Really nice work and a killer video. Love it when users step up and repair their gear.

BTW, what brand of solder sucker is the black one that made all the racket?

Fun music bed in the video!

Thanks for posting.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Head

RME Fireface 800 Caps

Maybe someone who has been inside their 800 has a clue whats up with mine. Channel 8 8 has a low to no input (front xlr or trs). There are 16 caps near the digital input board on the back and the 2 that would be Channel 8 I believe are bulging. If the caps line up with the front 1-7-8-9-10 then it is #8 . Could these caps be causing low/no input level? Thanks for any input. No pun intended.
Old 27th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibenhad View Post
Maybe someone who has been inside their 800 has a clue whats up with mine. Channel 8 8 has a low to no input (front xlr or trs). There are 16 caps near the digital input board on the back and the 2 that would be Channel 8 I believe are bulging. If the caps line up with the front 1-7-8-9-10 then it is #8 . Could these caps be causing low/no input level? Thanks for any input. No pun intended.
Hi,

Is the two caps in the red circle that is bulging? If yes it would likely cause low or no input of channel 8.

I have no idea why/how this could happen though.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
RME Fireface 800 powersupply failure-ff800.jpg  
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycheung View Post
Hi,

Is the two caps in the red circle that is bulging? If yes it would likely cause low or no input of channel 8.

I have no idea why/how this could happen though.

Good luck!
Tony,
Thanks but those 2 were fine. In this picture its the ones in yellow. Remember the front inputs go 1-7-8-9-10.
Attached Thumbnails
RME Fireface 800 powersupply failure-ff800.jpg  
Old 29th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibenhad View Post
Tony,
Thanks but those 2 were fine. In this picture its the ones in yellow. Remember the front inputs go 1-7-8-9-10.
Then the buldging capacitors are line out 3.

Can you check around the stuffs near the fron input socket channel 8?

It might be something wrong there!
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Maniac

check out what mine is doing:
https://youtu.be/F3m4nBbqky0
... not only does it flash like a FW port failure, but it also makes a really wild sound right off the pcb.

Is this the machine gun sound?

Going to give recapping the psu a shot. Digikey capacitor order in the mail.

Last edited by ~Zenshin Suru~; 5th June 2019 at 12:06 AM..
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zenshin Suru~ View Post
check out what mine is doing:
... not only does it flash like a FW port failure, but it also makes a really wild sound right off the pcb.

Is this the machine gun sound?

Going to give recapping the psu a shot. Digikey capacitor order in the mail.
Saw from somewhere the machine gun click is due to power failure. Recap should work.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethmopod View Post
YouTube
Your video looks awesome!
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Maniac

PSU recap fixed it

PSU recap fixed it

Here's the chirping behavior:

Here's after fixed:
https://youtu.be/RwIJ7tRD0IY

Thanks guys.
Old 10th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zenshin Suru~ View Post
PSU recap fixed it

Here's the chirping behavior:

Here's after fixed:
https://youtu.be/RwIJ7tRD0IY

Thanks guys.
Great to hear another success.
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

capacitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptin View Post
I've de-soldered and identified each capacitor on the power supply, so I’m uploading this guide to help other people get the job done quicker!

Alright, so, a “dead” RME FireFace 800 with all lights blinking rapidly (see this video for example) is extremely common in units that have been used for many years, and is almost always caused by dead capacitors on the power supply. Note that the Firewire cable *and* the electrical outlet power cables must *both* be plugged in for it to display the "blinking lights" syndrome, since the problem is that the soundcard can't "handshake" with the computer via the Firewire when the power supply is broken, thus causing the blinking lights.

Here are some official RME statements about blinking lights + "machine gun sound", saying that it indicates a faulty power supply that can't power the unit anymore:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=2531
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=3428

They use a cheap asian “ON-TEK OT-040F” switching power supply, which costs $100 to buy via RME (or $250 and a month of time if you want them to replace it for you), but for like $14 (what it cost me) you can replace the capacitors yourself instead. This is a guide about what capacitors you will need. Usually you only need to replace the capacitors at locations C16 and C17 since they’re the most common failures, and possibly also C26, C5 and C6. But capacitors are so cheap that I highly suggest you replace *all* of them so that you get a totally fresh power supply that will last for years to come. PSUs really wear out capacitors quickly, so be smart and replace them all and avoid having to do another repair soon!

The height of the capacitors doesn’t really matter for the most part, but no cap can be taller than 2.5cm (that’s the tallest one on the board), and all of them are of the “Direct Current (DC)” kind and rated for 105* C temperature. If you use 85* C replacements then your new ones will die faster, so really try to get 105* C!

The capacitors below cover *all* capacitors on the power supply, and they are listed as “Capacitance, Minimum voltage rating, diameter”. Your replacement capacitance must always be identical. You can always go for a higher voltage rating, but never lower. Your diameter can be the same or lower, although it is ok if it is a tiiiiny bit wider (like 6.3mm instead of 6mm will almost certainly still fit).

Furthermore, it’s important that you get “Low ESR” (equivalent series resistance) capacitors even though they are slightly more expensive. This is because power supplies rapidly charge and discharge capacitors, which causes them to heat up, and a high ESR (more resistance) causes even more heat, and heat in turn dries out the capacitor which then raises the ESR even more, which causes even more resistance and heat, until they dry out completely and fail. And a high resistance also causes more voltage drop, so the PSU may not even function properly without “Low ESR” caps. So if you want your replacement to work and last a long time, you MUST get “Low ESR” caps whenever possible!

There are several good manufacturers of capacitors with good low ESR series. Recommended often is Panasonic FC, FM or FR (from “FC: not as good, lower lifetime” to “FR: best, longest lifetime”) - although FC will be fine in almost any situation. Some other good series are Chemicon KY, Rubycon ZL/ZLH/ZLG/ZLJ and Nichicon HD/HM/HN. The series ID of these products is usually somewhere around the middle of the model name (such as Panasonic EEUFR1V471 for an "FR" series), so keep that in mind! These are all top brands, but as long as the replacement capacitor is rated for low ESR, you don’t really have to care about brand since this particular PSU isn't very hot (so the brand matters less than in things like computer PSUs). The original caps on this power supply are some cheap, totally no-name asian company.

Alright, here’s the list of capacitors you need to order for a full refresh of your FireFace 800 power supply:

68 uF, 400V, 24mm, snap-in connector type (you could use regular pins too, but this kinda voltage @ Low ESR is easier to find as snap-in anyway); if you get a snap-in version, be *very* sure the lead pitch (distance from center-to-center of each leg) is 10mm so that it fits into the holes on the board.

47 uF, 50V, 6mm

2.2 uF, 50V, 5mm

2x 100uF, 63V, 10mm

4x 470 uF, 35V, 10mm

22 uF, 63V, 6mm

100 uF, 16V, 6mm

2x 2200 uF, 16V, 10mm

When you get your bag of replacement parts, I suggest simply de-soldering the original capacitors one by one and checking its capacitance and voltage and diameter and putting in the matching replacement.

Warning: There are also little black “tubes” on the PCB that look a bit like capacitors, but they don’t have any capacitance values printed on the sides because they are actually coils (they’ve got ridged edges, from where you can see their coil wires), and they are marked “L” (for Coil) on the PCB, so do NOT touch/replace those! Also, there are ceramic (little brown, flat-ish) capacitors on the board, but those are extremely resilient and will probably outlive your life, so don’t replace those either. Lastly, there’s a big, square block that’s actually a 1 uF plastic/metallic film capacitor, but it doesn’t need replacement either since those never "dry out". We only want to replace the radial electrolytic ones, since those are the ones that use an electrolyte that can (and will) dry out over time.

One last thing: Be sure to watch the polarity when replacing! The gray/striped line on the side indicates the negative side and your replacement must follow the same orientation, otherwise it will blow up! ;-) Have fun!

Here's some more help:
A blog post (isn't as detailed as my post but has good reference photos):
Synth.nl Blog: RME Fireface 800 Repair
And a funny video of a guy replacing his capacitors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECD5zWV4-0
In some very rare cases, there can also be faults on the FF800 mainboard, like in this thread (but normally that won't happen since the mainboard capacitors deal with very low heat and can therefore last for decades without drying out):
RME Fireface 800 flashing lights issue
Hi I know this is an older thread but unfortunately my power suppl just crashed also. So Ive been looking online for the capacitors you've stated but cant seem to find out where I can get them all in one place and NOT in bulk. Any recommendations? thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Duprey View Post
Hi I know this is an older thread but unfortunately my power suppl just crashed also. So Ive been looking online for the capacitors you've stated but cant seem to find out where I can get them all in one place and NOT in bulk. Any recommendations? thanks
Where are you located and what vendors have you tried?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi

I'm currently working on some dead FF800 PS unit, and did a schematic for it. Just wondering what this component is...? (pic below)

Pretty sure it's not defective, it's not even mentioned on the PCB. Looks like it's just some wire lead going through a cylinder, what's the purpose? Heat dissipation or something?

2 of them on the board (primary side).

https://i.imgur.com/C4BEfHZ.jpg
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

That looks like a ferrite bead choke (inductor).
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

That's it indeed, thx!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search