The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Swapping a JCM 800 2205 for a Dual Rec? Help guitarists!
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have a 2204 here and it's a great amp. And whilst I would pick it over a 2205 9 times out of 10 the 2205 has something that sometimes is just great for a particular sound.

If it was me I would keep the 2205 stock, put it to good use here and now and look out for a 2204 on e-bay in the meantime. I paid £300 for mine.

Disclaimer: I VERY rarely really like mods done to classic amps - but that may be because I've mainly heard crap mods done to otherwise good amps.
Old 15th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Karma
The 2205 from what I understand is the only amplifier used on the Rage Against the Machine albums. Folks around here really seem to dig the sound. Just curious but does anyone happen to know if the clean channel bypasses the diode clipping circuit? Also, is there a way to mod either channel on the 2205 to be the same circuit as the 2204?
Maybe the guys at plexipalace.com can help you?
Old 9th July 2006
Gear Nut

Hey Marshallheads, I've got a 2554 I'll trade for a Dual Rec Solo head..
Old 9th July 2006
mds
Lives for gear

A lot of good advice in this thread. I agree that the super scooped, ultra gain Mesa thing is becoming somewhat dated sounding, though I was in love with that tone for a long time and still think it is an amazing sound for really aggressive metal. I think Mesa makes VERY good amps and their new stilleto and lone star amps are great and sound nothing like dual recs.

You may look into having your amp modded a bit. Voodoo Amps does mods to just about everything with stellar results. They have high gain mods for the jcm800s and I'd expect amazing tone after their mod. I've heard JCM2000s become monster amps after a trip to Voodoo...

Mike
Old 9th July 2006
Lives for gear

I have a 1982 marshall jcm 800 white edition 50 watt. Has only hi and low inputs. I thought about selling it but the prices on ebay were really high. So if I did I couldn't replace it. I would keep it. Can't get that sound anywhere else. Some people love "The Sound Of Rock And Roll". Is a good stash imho. Mine sounds fantastic with a old B.C. Rich, Rich Bitch. wich is now broken so now I use a external preamp on jacksons etc...
Old 9th July 2006
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagefright13
I have a 1982 marshall jcm 800 white edition 50 watt. Has only hi and low inputs. I thought about selling it but the prices on ebay were really high. So if I did I couldn't replace it. I would keep it. Can't get that sound anywhere else. Some people love "The Sound Of Rock And Roll". Is a good stash imho. Mine sounds fantastic with a old B.C. Rich, Rich Bitch. wich is now broken so now I use a external preamp on jacksons etc...
Disclaimer: If there was ever an amp series that could adopt the term 'snow-flakey' in terms of the range of response between different production versions of the same exact model it is the JCM800 series.

However....

You are clinically insane if you sell that amp.

I have owned or had stewardship of a modest armada of 800 series since they were brand new amps. Like more than 2 dozen in the last quarter century.... "Whitey Herzog"(as he was affectionately dubbed by somebody in my shop many years ago) is among the best recording amps ever made IMHO.

Use him with greenbacks(at a dull roar), or or gold rola loaded 1960 straights(at welding volume) for tones that will stack like bricks in tracking, and Eq. like butter in mix.

Tremendous note clarity AND a real perception of 'density'.

This is an amp which will reveal the very best(and worst) about your guitar collection. Difference between various LP's and SG's and whatnot will seem remarkably exaggerated compared to other more 'homogenizing' 800 series heads(like a lot of the later 2205's).

If you need more saturation/gain, there are about a half dozen stomp box distortions which sound AMAZING with this head.... not least of which is the vaunted TC booster/line-driver.... which ya NEVER use in anything but 'boost' as the distortion circuit is 'meh'.

Anyhoo. Gotta flee. Actually just took down a 2203 short-chassis 800 'greenie' for a tweed Bassman-50/greenback combo that sounds so HUGE in a weird kinda "I should be too garbled.... but I'm not" way.... it's positively frightening.

Probably has something to do with the fact the kid is banging away on some bizarre late 70's Ibanez 335 clone.

Never a dull WhaddaYaCallit.

SM.
Old 9th July 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Karma
The 2205 from what I understand is the only amplifier used on the Rage Against the Machine albums. Folks around here really seem to dig the sound. Just curious but does anyone happen to know if the clean channel bypasses the diode clipping circuit? Also, is there a way to mod either channel on the 2205 to be the same circuit as the 2204?
The 2205 went through a LOTTA changes over the years.

The early 80's versions are considered the 'most desirable' & 'best' sounding of the lot. The main differece is what power tubes they came with. Originally it was EL34's...then in later years the 5881 (a 6L6 varient) which takes it pretty far from the "Marshall" sound. Get 'em retubed & setup for EL34's by a competent tech and those later amps will sound hipper.

I have no idea if the clean channel is bypassing the diode clipping or not...but I had that WHOLE deal removed from my 2205 & the tone stack was modded in favor of the LED clipping & tone stack of the Jubliee's. When my 2205 went south a few years ago I asked a tech here in northern NJ to look at the schematics for both amps and see if we could make the 800 closer to the Jubilee and to my suprise he said they were pretty similar!

When I got it back, it sounded NOTHING like it did before it went in. Thicker, dynamic, more ballz...versatile gain range up the wazoo! The power tubes need to be pushed a good bit before it starts to sound "right" & the clean channel still sucks donkey dick but hey, it's a Marshall!!!

Who needs a clean channel? heh
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

I've got a Jubilee as well, and it has an absolutely amazing sound!
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson
Now my main rig is a '74 JMP 50 with the Wizard Plexi mod...sounds even nicer than the original Plexi did. I just love the "knock" it has, far more than I miss the low end plus sizzle of the Mesa.
Just had a bunch of work done on my '76 100w JMP over at Austin Vintage Gittar. Had 'em bias it for two KT88's, so it runs at 50 watts. Nissse. (sorry, o/t)

I saved all summer one year for a 2204 when I was 16. I got it from Rolls Music in W. Virginia for $399. I don't remember what I paid for the cab. Like I always say, once I learned more about Marshalls, I was a little embarrased that I didn't have a JMP. That's what all the heavy players in my neck of the woods had. So I was just a dumb kid with a new off-the-shelf Marshall. So now I play JMP's. I wonder when the TSL's are gonna get desireable. Gotta happen.
Old 13th July 2006
Here for the gear

Framus

Mabey try the Framus Dragon...I can get good JCM800 crunch and Mesa Distortion out of it.
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Head Sound
The thing with the Mesa is you have to know how to use it. I've found that most people use it wrong. They put WAY to much distortion on it and suck out ALL the mids. If used correctly however, it can sound great, for what it is. It's not a JCM 800 though, nor is it supposed to be. Which would I rather have, neither. I'll stick to my mesa mark IV and mark IIB.... ah thank you very much.
i absolutely agree. it's got so much gain it's easy to overdo it. same with the bottom end. leave some space for the bass! dual rec (although if it's a three channel it's newer than mine or maybe it's a triple rec? they're usually running 6l6s which sound very different from el34s in a mashall. most of the drive comes from the preamp in a mesa. in a marshall it's spread out if you crank it (with a power brake if it's too loud for you!)
to get the power amp in a triple rec to start driving would destroy your house!

the road king is pretty cool cos you can have a channel of el84 a channel of el34 and a channel of 6l6 and mix and match. it does cost a fortune tho! MkIV is a really versatile little amp too. more controls on the back than there are on the front (and there's a lot!)thumbsup
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl
MkIV is a really versatile little amp too. more controls on the back than there are on the front (and there's a lot!)thumbsup
Dude, that is so true. It is certainly not a plug and play amp. I takes a little bit to get it to sound how you want it to because there are SO many variables. Once you get it though, it sounds KILLER.
Old 16th July 2006
Gear Addict

i've got an 800 and a dual rec
they're both cool and do what they do well
i've never had any joy with triple recs though....and haven't tried a single.
the red channel on my dual sucks total ass however, and the green one is pretty average
the orange one is great although i dont use a ton of distortion
i can't imagine getting my mesa to sound like a marshall or vice versa but you can easily get more gain into your 800. all sorts of pedals have worked for me best ones being yellow boss overdrive , rat , and a silver no brand clean boost.on the distortion pedals though i keep the gain low and the volume high , to get more input into the amp. And it also depends on the guitar, gretch custom jet vs les paul standard etc...but don't sell your 800...they're pretty cool.And if you have a good one it could be a long time before you find another that might be good. good luck though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search