The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Calling all Portico 5042 users
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

Calling all Portico 5042 users

Hi guys, I know the 5042 is similar to tape in some ways and not so similar in others. But can it do that tape thing where everything apears slightly louder without there actually being an increase in level?

Thanks.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

Anyone?
Old 13th June 2006
I just received one to try out on demo..

Will report my gonzo engineering findings later on.. I will use it over the next two weeks on some weekend sessions booked in here at The Library....I cant promise any extensive comparisons or to record & post up sound files - I am just too slammed with other sh!t to do.

look below this post at the Similar Threads menu - open that and read the threads...
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehall6162
But can it do that tape thing where everything apears slightly louder without there actually being an increase in level?

Thanks.
I think this is compressor works, but try increasing saturation, this way you must be able to create this classic sound (compresion) on tape. where you can accept more "level" printed to tape...
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Didn't work for me at all.
Sold after 2 months.
Old 13th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
Sold after 2 months.

Have had mine for 5 or so months and I love it..... to each their own huh?

heh
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
to each their own huh?

heh
Can't agree more thumbsup
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
Sold after 2 months.

Can you give us some details as to why it didn't work for you?

What did you try to get it to do? How did it fail? In failing to do, did it do something else that might be useful? What did you try it on? Did you think it might work on other things (even htough id didn't do what yoou needed it to do)?

thanks!
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

On individual tracks (guitars, vocals) the effect was subtle and mostly usable in terms of simply said softening a little high end frequencies. Probably this was the better part of what I could use out of this box.
On drums buss I was overall not satisfied, adding small amount didn't change anything to better, adding more somehow soften (on bad way) drums.
On 2-buss, I got worst results (and it's place where I expected to put it).
My impression is that box just lowered resolution of the system and made narrower soundstage (from wide stereo nearer to mono). In my practice, good balance between digital high resolution and analogue warmness is achieved on several stages and I prefer to avoid anything that can mud things at the end.
Although I like overall analoge touch to my mixes, I think than on 2-buss this box is doing more harm than improvement (comparing to good tube compressors).
So, as an effect for tracking some instruments 5042 can find it's place in rack or might be in setups that lacks good choice of other outboards, so it's softening effect could be welcome in such situation.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

God I love this place. Thanks GYang!
Old 18th June 2006
OK in a supreme gesture of gear hype mania - having tried it today tracking a rock band - I am naming it - THE ROY THOMAS BAKER 'PINNED OVERHEADS' BOX and then going to run and hide under a rock somewhere where no one can find me to ask me further questions about it.

(looks around...... is it safe to come out now?.........)

Kick In - AKG D112 Neve 1073 - Fatso
Kick out Royer 121 & pop shield Helios
Sn -SM57 API - overdriven - output padded - Fatso
Undersnare - Beyer 201 Neve 1073 - ADR voal stressor for compression
HH - AKG 451 + 20db pad barrel Night Pro + Air Band HF boost
Toms - 3 x Senn 421 - 3 x Helios
Room 2 x Neumann M149 - 2 x Distressors 10:1 Ratio (no mic pre used)
OH - 2 x Beyer M160's Chandler TG2 - Portico 5042 cranked 3/4 of the way up - (meters pinned & it sounded over distorted - so I reduced the input gain to chill it out a little)

All going to PT.

NICE!

These tracks have a LOT of clanging 'bull in a china shop' overheads (v busy but good drummer) and we are digging them!

I will try to post an MP3..

Tom the sessions co engineer & PT whiz is keen to try it on the mix buss on one of his sessions soon- but somehow me not... different stokes for different folks eh? We move onto gtr overdubs tomorrow- I will report further..

Fatso, Portico & Hedd GO TO BATTLE!

heh
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Fatso, Portico & Hedd GO TO BATTLE!

heh

Rock.

Jasper
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm digging mine, and when it's not doing the tape emulation, I use it as a gain stage post SSL comp to my master digital recorder.
Nice toy.

Now:
"But can it do that tape thing where everything apears slightly louder without there actually being an increase in level?"

That's WHY I have the SSL comp, and got it before the 5042.
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
I'm digging mine, and when it's not doing the tape emulation, I use it as a gain stage post SSL comp to my master digital recorder.
Nice toy.

Now:
"But can it do that tape thing where everything apears slightly louder without there actually being an increase in level?"

That's WHY I have the SSL comp, and got it before the 5042.
Thanks for your response Jim, thats cool i use the ssl comp on the 2buss too, thats why the "line driver" part of the 5042 cought my eye. We all know that the ssl g master makeup gain is a little thin sounding, so you use the 5042 as a nice thick makeup gain after the comp?
Old 18th June 2006
Er... about that battle... Uh...I have 5 signals making up the one gtr sound... each going to its own track.. so I never really got round to swaping the boxes around.. I am using Fatso to remove fizz from two signals (mic'ed Randal head SM57 and mic'ed Engle head Royer 121.. Portico is put to use warming a Digitec ValveFX gtr pre amp cab sim thingy...)
Old 19th June 2006
Here is a snippet of a drum track.. I am pretty happy with the cymbals clanging away,

Kick In - AKG D112 Neve 1073 - Fatso
Kick out Royer 121 & pop shield Helios
Sn -SM57 API - overdriven - output padded - Fatso
Undersnare - Beyer 201 Neve 1073 - ADR voal stressor for compression
HH - AKG 451 + 20db pad barrel Night Pro mic pre + Air Band HF boost
Ride Senn 441 Night Pro mic pre + Air Band HF boost
Toms - 3 x Senn 421 - 3 x Helios
Room 2 x Neumann M149 - 2 x Distressors 10:1 Ratio (no mic pre used)
OH - 2 x Beyer M160's Chandler TG2 + Portico 5042 cranked 3/4 of the way up - (meters pinned & it sounded over distorted - so I reduced the input gain to chill it out a little)

It occured to me that to be honest - the Portico is by no means 100% responcible for the overall sound, (that is a team effort / combination of a lot of mic's and various equipment..) but it definately helped 'saturate & sustain' the cymbals - so it plays its part

I have my usual tracking drum bus plug in treatment running

Sony Oxford Compression
URS N12 eq - HF lift and 30hz sub lift
Poenix Dark Essence - 3/4 of the way up
Attached Files

01 Portico drums.mp3 (5.19 MB, 920 views)

Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehall6162
Thanks for your response Jim, thats cool i use the ssl comp on the 2buss too, thats why the "line driver" part of the 5042 cought my eye. We all know that the ssl g master makeup gain is a little thin sounding, so you use the 5042 as a nice thick makeup gain after the comp?
Yup, it gives me the color options I want plus the makeup gain when I need +20dbU for my master digital recorder. It is a great set of options/solutions in the little package(G-SSl to 4042 to converters) that I used to require (console into tube comp-to tube EQ into solid state pre for added gain then to converters) to thicken a mix or roll off some top and add gain, instead of going to tape or using the crappy gain stage built into the converter. YUCK!

Yes, I'm Sorry!!! I know that is sacred to many, but my two analog reel machines (used to be four analog machines) gather a LOT of dust...buying and editing tape, when everything is delivered in digital anyway, has been a wasted stage for me since before the millenium. I have no problem tracking to 2", but unless I start mixing platinum albums I can't justify the space or expense of a new ATR or vintage Studer, even though I am great at maintaining them. Go figure. That's why I love Rupert's 5042. To me, its the only thing that comes CLOSE to the CraneSong HEDD, and I like the added gain stage.

Anyway...sorry for the ramble. Hope something here is useful
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

I continue to use mine. I also own an Ampex 2" 16 track and a Fatso if that says anything. It really shines on individual tracks -vocals, sometimes bass, anything that needs some beefing up. I did a side by side test with an electric guitar track a while ago -recorded it direct to digital then ran signals da>ad to the ampex and portico. I was surprised how close the Portico came to the Ampex (and way better than that waves tape plugin).

I'm not sure it's going to give you the tape compression slam on drums or the 2 bus, but for thickening individual digital tracks and taming a harsh sound it's great.
Old 30th March 2012
whoa, good job resurrecting a 6 year old post! lol.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search