The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digi 002R vs Digi 002 Control Surface
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Head

Digi 002R vs Digi 002 Control Surface

Is it worth it to get the control surface?

Is it worth for the Digidesign products or should I look at something else?
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickname

i would and am getting the 002r and the command 8. when i do upgrade to HD, the command 8 can be used and i think you can use the command 8 as a standalone mixer, but im not too sure about that.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Nut
I'm planning to get the M-audio Project Mix I/O and M-Powered Pro Tools. It offers a clock in option, which the 002 does not. It is also cheaper. If you are not doing work with video, the M-Powered version seems to be otherwise equivalent to LE. I will likely get a Rosetta 800 so that I can use my own mic pres (and get the advantage of better converters).

But to answer your question directly, I think there is great advantage in having a set of faders when mixing.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Nut

A friend of mine had the 002 w/control surface, then traded it in on a 002r and Mackie controller and is much happier. It might just come down to a preference thing, of course, but he says the Mackie is far nicer to work with.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

I would get the rack and then have it modified by Black Lion (http://www.blacklionaudio.com/digi002_mod.html) before I got the normal 002 with faders. But thats just my 002¢.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

I can't see much reason not to get the 002 Rack and then a third-party control surface, which will provide compatibility with other software as well -- and hold its value better.

If there's a reason to do the full 002, it's because they hold their value so poorly that you can find them on eBay for $200 or so more than the rack version.

JSL
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Head

this black lion thing sounds wonderful, is there any other information on it
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/digi002_mod.html

I'm sending my 002 out as soon as I get some money....
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Head

yea i read that. just curious if there are any users of this mod.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

full 002 can be used standalone mixer, you will also get the extra plug-ins and an ilok
command8 can be used as a stand alone controller.
a 002 or a 002r and command 8 is goign to givae you the same functionality so decide if you want you i/o on your desk or in a rack. in many ways im glad i went for the 002 and sometimesi think having all i/o in a rack would be easier.

a project mix doesnt have the 10bit digi faders, its made to be a MIDI controller so im not sure how good teh intergration is but if it works for you. but the sound of any M-Audio no thanx but definatly a cheeper way if you going to use 3rd party converters anyway, which is one of the few situaltion where MP would be a better option IMO.

another option is to get a 002r and save up for a control 24
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear
If that black lion mod is any good, it's a great thing (though I'm still an 001 user, so not so relevant to me).

Using outboard converters is always a solution to get past the bad Digi converter situation, but improving the onboard converters makes it useful for ANOTHER 8 ins and out, instead of just a dongle.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I have the 002, and while it was handy at first to have those faders right there, I really don't use them much anymore. When it comes to mixing I tend to write automation with the mouse instead of the control surface, for better or worse.

I do still use the transport buttons, but in reality, keyboard shortcuts are just as easy. And really, how many ways do we really need to press "play?"

I'd get the Mackie and the 002R if I had it to do over again.
Old 30th January 2008
Here for the gear

my home mix station is an 002R, and I am much happier having all my I/O in a rack than the surface.. besides... trusting both my control and I/O in one unit is a little risky... at least I know if my control surface craps out, I can still mix in the box :-)
Old 30th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickname View Post

i had the same problem when purchasing my 003. i messed with one of my buddys 003 factory and realized that the console wasn't worth the extra dough, and it could be better spent on mics/preamps/etc. so i got the 003rack and am really satisfied.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search